Florida Power & Light

www.fpl.com

Florida Power & Light Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Florida Power & Light – Miami – “Call Center”

Florida Power & Light President and CEO Armando J. Olivera

Armando J. Olivera

Pros
  • Good benefits and very nice people to work with(in 11 reviews)

• Benefits, training, work-life balance, career development(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It may depend on your given role, but the work/life balance needs to be improved(in 7 reviews)

• Churn is high, even at mid management and business unit VP levels(in 3 reviews)

FPL summer internship review

Protection and Controls Engineer/Engineer II (Intern) (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsA wonderful way to get your foot in the door. There are many many areas of the company that you intern in. All you need is a 3.0 gpa to be considered. The pay is good also, if your a freshmen-junior in college, they start you off at $18-$19 an hour. If your a senior, your wage is $20/hour, and if your a grad student, your pay is $24/hour.

ConsNone, that I can think of, besides the fact that they wont pay you over time, but its not really an issue, some weeks you work more than 80 hours, and some you work a little less, so it evens out at the end.

ACCOUNTING

Accounting (Former Employee) Juno Beach, FL

ProsGood pay and good benefits - nice facility

Consvery bad management - not enough training

Advice to Senior Managementneed to take care of thier employees

Refueling outage utility worker for Extended Power Uprate and several other outages.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Pay, Co-workers, Accessibility, There is always someone willing to help with anything. All questions and concerns are treated with utmost importance. Pay varies and usually increases due to contractual union obligations.

Conscommunications about outage availabilities was lacking.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systems Engineer

Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsFortune 150 company, stable, good management structure

ConsVery political. You need to know people to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to find out what your non-union employees want and help to make their jobs more rewarding. The employment cycle is a circle...If the employee is happy she will be more productive...if she is more productive she will make the company stronger...if she makes the company stronger the company makes more money..if the company makes more money they *should* reward the employee more...if they reward the employee more the employee will be happier.

Great opportunities available, but the mindset and culture is fundamentally flawed.

Engineer (Current Employee) Juno Beach, FL

Pros-Decent salaries, but depends where you live. In a populated area, the salary won't go far.
    -Great opportunities are everywhere to learn many different facets of the industry
    -Great people work here, many intelligent, humble, team players are found throughout.
    -Decent benefits, 401K, pension, vacation days, etc.

Cons-Culture rewards workaholics. If you want to move up prepare to give up your personal life.
    -Upper management's expectations are flawed and misguided.
    -Fear is the typical motivator found throughout. History has proven that those that question decisions or offer comments not in sync with the message from above are quickly removed.

Advice to Senior Management-Welcome an environment of disagreement, even if someone is wrong with their ideas or opinions, having an honest conversation with your direct reports may open new avenues of thought.

Professional, hard working employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery intelligent, dedicated employees. A great facility on Juno Beach, with large cafeteria, cafe and gym. Employees are able to review managers, so managers must work to earn their positions. Great care is taken of employees, once they're in.

ConsProcessess can take a very long time since company is very concerned with public image, which is understandable, but projects labored over can disappear into the ether.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify procedures where possible.

Best Internship Opportunity for a Power System Engineer

Intern Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) West Jupiter, FL

ProsFriendly people, great management staff. South Florida locations

ConsNot competitive salaries for entry level engineers at least. After my internship the other 2 companies who extended me offer letters were 20 and 60% higher pay than fpl.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter the entry level pay if you do not want all the mediocre people graduating from college to end up in your payroll.

P&C Engineer Intern

P&C Engineer (Former Employee) Jupiter, FL

ProsCommitted to excellence, customer satisfaction, and doing the right thing.

ConsSome facilities are old and in need of remodeling

Good company to work for

IT Manager (Current Employee) Juno Beach, FL

ProsLocation, opportunity, benefits package, safety culture

ConsLarge companies have lots of red tape and move slowly when making decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get so bogged down in short-term profits and forget about long-term growth.

Great place to work, plenty of opportunities

Marketing & Communications (Former Employee) Juno Beach, FL

ProsThe company really strives to hire only the best people, so you are working with a team of talented people who pull their own weight and will help you succeed as well. There was really a great 'family' feeling within the department, and management constantly strove to improve employee engagement -- formal surveys of employees, biannual opportunities to sit with supervisor and discuss how he/she could help you do you job better.

Organization as a whole has a drive for excellence, so if you are the type of person who enjoys daily challenges (as I did) then you will feel fulfilled here. Communications department works hard to make sure employees are informed and up-to-date which helps the sense of investment you feel in the company. With the size of the company you also have many opportunities to advance your career without ever needing to switch employers.

*I left my job because of personal reasons and was satisfied with my time at the company

ConsIt may depend on your given role, but the work/life balance needs to be improved. Average workday usually included working through lunch and staying 30 minutes to an hour late. Part of this was my team's expectations, part was my own drive to success so I take partial responsibility.

As such a large organization, oftentimes the approval process was cumbersome and decision making painfully slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue open communications; continue employee engagement initiatives and promoting a culture of openness between supervisors/employees; strengthen the work/life balance

Worked for Florida Power & Light? Contribute to the Community!