Florida Power & Light

Updated October 20, 2014
3.5

Florida Power & Light President and CEO Armando J. Olivera
Armando J. Olivera

Pros
  • Good benefits, secure job Close to South Florida (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, work/life balance, and fitness center (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance, not many training opportunities, too much work for no compensation (in 13 reviews)

• my business unit scored extremely low (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An excellent opportunity to grow and move up.

Former Employee - Power Generation in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Power Generation in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company cares about the happiness and success of each individual through the creation of career goals providing excellent training and game plans for reaching those goals. In addition, the exposure I received as a intern was incredible. Not only did I gain plant experience but the program is aimed at creating well rounded individuals in the work place. I was exposed to many different areas of the business while each was explained in depth. They find and develop great leaders which is why this company has had so much success and growth in the last decade. A bright future exist for anyone willing to take hold of every opportunity presented.

Cons

After reflecting on the experience, I can say in full honesty that there was not a single con.

This internship program is phenomenal and the people that I worked with created the most comfortable and productive environment I've ever been witness to.

Good company, challenging work, poor work-life balance

Former Employee - IT Network Services Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - IT Network Services Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of talented, hardworking people are employed here, and they offer good benefits and decent pay.

Cons

Work-life balance, while talked about, is pretty poor. Lots of late nights and weekends, and little compensation for it, either in time or bonuses.

The employees, for the most part, want to do a good job. But when they are splitting their attention between multiple projects and deliverables, quality can suffer as a result. Better prioritization would help a lot.

Nice place to work but they will work you to death

Former Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, nice facilities, mostly good people. Advancement is not difficult if you are motivated. There is plenty of training offered. Benefits packages are above average.

Cons

No work/life balance. You are pretty much expected to stay at your desk until all tasks are finished. Weekends and holidays will have to be worked because deadlines will not be moved. Also plan on moving vacations if they don'd line up with company needs.

Make work/life balance a priority (more than just words). Hire more people if needed.

Excllent company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great pay, benefits, good people, great atmosphere

Cons

consolidation of departments, ok work life balance, ok benefits

It was okay

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, education backing, safety when a hurricane comes

Cons

Customers, processes, brown nosing gets you FAR

Stop being such sticklers

Demanding work environment, struggle for work-life balance

Current Employee - Manager in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits, environmentally conscience, opportunities for advancement based on merit

Cons

There is very limited job specific training and most of the training is OJT. It can be difficult to find a work-life balance due to several staffing reductions over that past few years (less people, same amount of work). While the salary and benefits are competitive, it is very expensive to live in the Juno area and more affordable housing is at least 45-60 mins away.

Work, work, work

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, secure job Close to South Florida. Its decent money but since theres no other competition, they low ball you.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, not many training opportunities, too much work for no compensation. Seems like you have to be tied to your phone anywhere you go and at any given moment you have to go and attend work matters.

Strike a better work/life balance, stop being so cheap and pay what the workers have earned. Working here stresses you out and the company does not engage in extra-curricular, team building activities.

Only here for the pay check. Exploring options elsewhere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good. On site gym.

Cons

Where to begin....Management never seems to have enough money in the budget for anything more than a 2% pay raise, if you're lucky 2.5%. Yet we win rate cases and constant company wide emails about how much money FPL has. The company is EXTREMELY big on "who you know and if we like you." This is how you advance at FPL. You do not have to necessarily know much about the job. Employees at FPL seem to have no work/life balance. We are currently going through something called "Employee Engagement" this is where the company gets surveyed on various aspects of your experience at FPL (mgmt,work/life balance,etc.) my business unit scored extremely low. They stress how much they want to improve on things but I get the sense it is only to improve scores every two yrs. All in all if you know the right people and/or are apart of management you will probably find this a great place to work.

Not what it used to be...

Current Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees (not management) are great people. Also, the 401k and pension benefits are great. But that's pretty much where it ends.

Cons

Too much outsourcing as management only cares about the bottom dollar. You see more contractors in the building than employees. The ratio of contractors to employees is 80/20. You are expected to work 50 hours a week at least, but usually we need to work more than 60 to get the job done due to the lack of resources. Employees are underpaid for the jobs they are doing and you have to leave the company and come back in order to make more money.

Care more about the people that are making you rich and less about the stock price. I would highly recommend the CEO go on Undercover Boss so he could see what it's like. But I'm sure in his case ignorance is bliss.

Was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Production Lead in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Production Lead in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Back in early 80's was a great place to work.

Cons

Cuban connection, too many of senior management friends collaborate.

Listen to your employees, especially your exempt employees who are dedicated and committed but unappreciated

Florida Power & Light Photos