Florida Power & Light

Updated September 16, 2014
3.3

Florida Power & Light President and CEO Armando J. Olivera
Armando J. Olivera

Pros
  • Good benefits and very nice people to work with (in 11 reviews)

• Benefits, training, work-life balance, career development (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It may depend on your given role, but the work/life balance needs to be improved (in 7 reviews)

• Churn is high, even at mid management and business unit VP levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Large stable orginzation

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Florida Power & Light

Pros

If you work hard, you should be gainfully employed. Pay is good as are benefits

Cons

Too political. 9 to 5ers get by without much challenge. Hard workers get brunt of work to offset 9 to 5ers

Get closer to what is going on. Get out of offices and "Walk the floor"

They're not like they used to be.

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time

Pros

They pay well, to a point
    Work from home is allowed on a limited basis
    Co-workers are friendly & helpful

Cons

At a certain level, there is no clear career path
    Long hours are expected / assumed
    They are out-sourcing a lot of jobs. When people leave, they tend to replace with contractors.

Don't take your employees for granted.

Excllent company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great pay, benefits, good people, great atmosphere

Cons

consolidation of departments, ok work life balance, ok benefits

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was okay

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, education backing, safety when a hurricane comes

Cons

Customers, processes, brown nosing gets you FAR

Stop being such sticklers

Good work environment but no work-life balance and pay doesn't match with workload

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great team members, people enjoy what they do and go the extra mile to make sure things are done right. Benefits are not too bad and management is workin gon work-life balance

Cons

Employees are not being valued. Salaries are not matching market and they are takng advantage of the job market situation. Unfortutely when the job market gets better, a lot of employees will leave and knowledge and experience will be out the door. Too bad for a company that used to be really good with it's employees and was open to professional growth.

Listen to your employees. They are the ones who are dealing with the problems and know where the real problem is.

Demanding work environment, struggle for work-life balance

Current Employee - Manager  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits, environmentally conscience, opportunities for advancement based on merit

Cons

There is very limited job specific training and most of the training is OJT. It can be difficult to find a work-life balance due to several staffing reductions over that past few years (less people, same amount of work). While the salary and benefits are competitive, it is very expensive to live in the Juno area and more affordable housing is at least 45-60 mins away.

Very positive company!

Former Employee - Pipeline Welding Inspector
    Former Employee - Pipeline Welding Inspector

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits were very good!

Cons

I don't have any cons with Florida Power and Light.

Work, work, work

Current Employee - Associate Engineer  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, secure job Close to South Florida. Its decent money but since theres no other competition, they low ball you.

Cons

Poor work-life balance, not many training opportunities, too much work for no compensation. Seems like you have to be tied to your phone anywhere you go and at any given moment you have to go and attend work matters.

Strike a better work/life balance, stop being so cheap and pay what the workers have earned. Working here stresses you out and the company does not engage in extra-curricular, team building activities.

Only here for the pay check. Exploring options elsewhere.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are very good. On site gym.

Cons

Where to begin....Management never seems to have enough money in the budget for anything more than a 2% pay raise, if you're lucky 2.5%. Yet we win rate cases and constant company wide emails about how much money FPL has. The company is EXTREMELY big on "who you know and if we like you." This is how you advance at FPL. You do not have to necessarily know much about the job. Employees at FPL seem to have no work/life balance. We are currently going through something called "Employee Engagement" this is where the company gets surveyed on various aspects of your experience at FPL (mgmt,work/life balance,etc.) my business unit scored extremely low. They stress how much they want to improve on things but I get the sense it is only to improve scores every two yrs. All in all if you know the right people and/or are apart of management you will probably find this a great place to work.

Not what it used to be...

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employees (not management) are great people. Also, the 401k and pension benefits are great. But that's pretty much where it ends.

Cons

Too much outsourcing as management only cares about the bottom dollar. You see more contractors in the building than employees. The ratio of contractors to employees is 80/20. You are expected to work 50 hours a week at least, but usually we need to work more than 60 to get the job done due to the lack of resources. Employees are underpaid for the jobs they are doing and you have to leave the company and come back in order to make more money.

Care more about the people that are making you rich and less about the stock price. I would highly recommend the CEO go on Undercover Boss so he could see what it's like. But I'm sure in his case ignorance is bliss.

Worked for Florida Power & Light? Contribute to the Community!