Florida Power & Light

Updated September 11, 2014
3.3

Florida Power & Light President and CEO Armando J. Olivera
Armando J. Olivera

Pros
  • Good benefits and very nice people to work with (in 11 reviews)

• Benefits, training, work-life balance, career development (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It may depend on your given role, but the work/life balance needs to be improved (in 7 reviews)

• Churn is high, even at mid management and business unit VP levels (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Refueling outage utility worker for Extended Power Uprate and several other outages.

I worked at Florida Power & Light

Pros

Great Pay, Co-workers, Accessibility, There is always someone willing to help with anything. All questions and concerns are treated with utmost importance. Pay varies and usually increases due to contractual union obligations.

Cons

communications about outage availabilities was lacking.

Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Administrator
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fortune 150 company, stable, good management structure

Cons

Very political. You need to know people to get ahead.

Take more time to find out what your non-union employees want and help to make their jobs more rewarding. The employment cycle is a circle...If the employee is happy she will be more productive...if she is more productive she will make the company stronger...if she makes the company stronger the company makes more money..if the company makes more money they *should* reward the employee more...if they reward the employee more the employee will be happier.

Great opportunities available, but the mindset and culture is fundamentally flawed.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Decent salaries, but depends where you live. In a populated area, the salary won't go far.
    -Great opportunities are everywhere to learn many different facets of the industry
    -Great people work here, many intelligent, humble, team players are found throughout.
    -Decent benefits, 401K, pension, vacation days, etc.

Cons

-Culture rewards workaholics. If you want to move up prepare to give up your personal life.
    -Upper management's expectations are flawed and misguided.
    -Fear is the typical motivator found throughout. History has proven that those that question decisions or offer comments not in sync with the message from above are quickly removed.

-Welcome an environment of disagreement, even if someone is wrong with their ideas or opinions, having an honest conversation with your direct reports may open new avenues of thought.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional, hard working employees.

I worked at Florida Power & Light

Pros

Very intelligent, dedicated employees. A great facility on Juno Beach, with large cafeteria, cafe and gym. Employees are able to review managers, so managers must work to earn their positions. Great care is taken of employees, once they're in.

Cons

Processess can take a very long time since company is very concerned with public image, which is understandable, but projects labored over can disappear into the ether.

Simplify procedures where possible.

Best Internship Opportunity for a Power System Engineer

Former Employee - Intern Electrical Engineer  in  West Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Intern Electrical Engineer in West Jupiter, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, great management staff. South Florida locations

Cons

Not competitive salaries for entry level engineers at least. After my internship the other 2 companies who extended me offer letters were 20 and 60% higher pay than fpl.

Better the entry level pay if you do not want all the mediocre people graduating from college to end up in your payroll.

P&C Engineer Intern

Former Employee - P&C Engineer  in  Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - P&C Engineer in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Committed to excellence, customer satisfaction, and doing the right thing.

Cons

Some facilities are old and in need of remodeling

Good company to work for

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Location, opportunity, benefits package, safety culture

Cons

Large companies have lots of red tape and move slowly when making decisions

Don't get so bogged down in short-term profits and forget about long-term growth.

Great place to work, plenty of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing & Communications in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really strives to hire only the best people, so you are working with a team of talented people who pull their own weight and will help you succeed as well. There was really a great 'family' feeling within the department, and management constantly strove to improve employee engagement -- formal surveys of employees, biannual opportunities to sit with supervisor and discuss how he/she could help you do you job better.

Organization as a whole has a drive for excellence, so if you are the type of person who enjoys daily challenges (as I did) then you will feel fulfilled here. Communications department works hard to make sure employees are informed and up-to-date which helps the sense of investment you feel in the company. With the size of the company you also have many opportunities to advance your career without ever needing to switch employers.

*I left my job because of personal reasons and was satisfied with my time at the company

Cons

It may depend on your given role, but the work/life balance needs to be improved. Average workday usually included working through lunch and staying 30 minutes to an hour late. Part of this was my team's expectations, part was my own drive to success so I take partial responsibility.

As such a large organization, oftentimes the approval process was cumbersome and decision making painfully slow.

Continue open communications; continue employee engagement initiatives and promoting a culture of openness between supervisors/employees; strengthen the work/life balance

Great learning experiences but will not be your "Forever" company

Former Employee - Engineer II  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very stable company with good benefits

Cons

Corp Culture: Horrible work life balance

Fairly good company

Current Employee - Engineer I  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits, work environment, friendly coworkers, payment is not bad, stable, work life balance is fairly OK depends on different business unit

Cons

culture if you are not a Spanish speaker, opportunities, different business unit may have different management, some of them are not so good.

Worked for Florida Power & Light? Contribute to the Community!