Florida Power & Light

Updated October 20, 2014
3.5

Florida Power & Light President and CEO Armando J. Olivera
Armando J. Olivera

Pros
  • Good benefits, secure job Close to South Florida (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, work/life balance, and fitness center (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance, not many training opportunities, too much work for no compensation (in 13 reviews)

• my business unit scored extremely low (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

P&C Engineer Intern

Former Employee - P&C Engineer in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - P&C Engineer in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Committed to excellence, customer satisfaction, and doing the right thing.

Cons

Some facilities are old and in need of remodeling

Good company to work for

Current Employee - IT Manager in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location, opportunity, benefits package, safety culture

Cons

Large companies have lots of red tape and move slowly when making decisions

Don't get so bogged down in short-term profits and forget about long-term growth.

Great place to work, plenty of opportunities

Former Employee - Marketing & Communications in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing & Communications in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company really strives to hire only the best people, so you are working with a team of talented people who pull their own weight and will help you succeed as well. There was really a great 'family' feeling within the department, and management constantly strove to improve employee engagement -- formal surveys of employees, biannual opportunities to sit with supervisor and discuss how he/she could help you do you job better.

Organization as a whole has a drive for excellence, so if you are the type of person who enjoys daily challenges (as I did) then you will feel fulfilled here. Communications department works hard to make sure employees are informed and up-to-date which helps the sense of investment you feel in the company. With the size of the company you also have many opportunities to advance your career without ever needing to switch employers.

*I left my job because of personal reasons and was satisfied with my time at the company

Cons

It may depend on your given role, but the work/life balance needs to be improved. Average workday usually included working through lunch and staying 30 minutes to an hour late. Part of this was my team's expectations, part was my own drive to success so I take partial responsibility.

As such a large organization, oftentimes the approval process was cumbersome and decision making painfully slow.

Continue open communications; continue employee engagement initiatives and promoting a culture of openness between supervisors/employees; strengthen the work/life balance

Great learning experiences but will not be your "Forever" company

Former Employee - Engineer II in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very stable company with good benefits

Cons

Corp Culture: Horrible work life balance

Fairly good company

Current Employee - Engineer I in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer I in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits, work environment, friendly coworkers, payment is not bad, stable, work life balance is fairly OK depends on different business unit

Cons

culture if you are not a Spanish speaker, opportunities, different business unit may have different management, some of them are not so good.

Old computer programs frustrates the daylights out of my job

Current Employee - Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company's stock is performing well. Benefits are OK but all things considered not worth it.

Cons

The powers that be, need to spend some money to update the support programs. Stop being cheap. It will improve productivity! The way things are done are very inefficient and are infested with idiosyncrasies ( 'x' has to be done before 'y' but not unless 24 hours has elapsed or it will automatically erase 'z' and keep in mind if 'w' is updated it will change element of all 'x', 'y', & 'z' so it's best if you just start over!). Ladies and gentlemen I just described to you what's known as a "Work Management System", found exclusively @ FPL. We have programs that were designed for windows 95. There are people who sees the way we do things as the best thing since slice bread; they could recall a time when everything was done on paper. Now if that's the standard why do we need computers? Maybe we should dust off the good ole typewriter.

See cons

A modern corporation with traditional ethics.

Current Employee - Meter Reader in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Meter Reader in Naples, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, and reasonable opportunity for advancement. They have a high rate of retention, and always "hire from within" first when job opportunities become available. They have a strong culture of safety and put the employees first.

Cons

Corporate HQ (and most of the highest paying jobs) are in Miami, FL. Positions are available statewide, but the further you climb the ladder the better the odds are that you will have to live in the area. I realize this isn't a con for everyone, but moving my family to Miami from most other parts of the state would be... nightmarish.

Continue to offer a wider selection of jobs on the west coast, not just in Miami.

It’s a job not a career

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fitness friendly environment. Onsite cafeteria allows you to quickly grab lunch and bring it back to your desk to continue working on your project.

Cons

There is a high employee turnover rate. In addition, it is hard to get things done; a lot time and energy is spent on in-fighting between departments. "Work-life balance" is talked about from time to time but they don't do anything substantive about it. FPL does not take care of their employees!

Offer engineers a bit more in their pay and treat them like professionals. If you did that, they would probably stick around compared to the constant turnover and necessary retraining.

FPL is great for shareholders and customers but not employees

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The beach is 5 minutes away the Juno location and there is also a great work out facility. Jobs are stable like most in the utility industry. Nearby Palm Beach Gardens is great for hanging out and shopping.

Cons

Employees are squeezed to the point where I have grave concern that it will affect the reliability of electric service.

Most departments are highly under staffed, leaving current employees the work of 2 to 3 engineers. Projects are assigned to you without any consideration for your current work load or what is reasonable to complete in a 50 hour work week. When there aren't enough hours in the week, uncompensated weekend work becomes routine and rarely any positive acknowledgement for job well done is forthcoming. The ability of engineers to complete required due diligence to ensure safe designs is restricted by work overload. Furthermore, this is puting the men and women who construct and operate the power system at risk.

Another area of concern when it comes to power system adequacy and safety is that there are quite a few assignments that require immediate attention due to the fact that some one along the way drop the ball and/or did not do proper planning. This would not normally be an issue if there were some slack in the workload, however since employees are already on a stress-strain regular schedule they often find themselves playing firefighter: puting out one fire after the next.

Compensation is marginally below other utilities if you consider it without the cost of living in south Florida. If you consider the cost of living in south Florida, FPL's compensation is significantly (20 to 30%) below other utilities. For instance, the cost of a house in south Florida is $100,000 to $150,000 more to a comparable one in most places in the country.

The work force is demoralized; job satisfaction is sorely lacking. Churn is high, even at mid management and business unit VP levels.

Keep up the good work. There are no changes necessary as the company is functioning optimally. FPL's best employees will work at other companies.

Great Experience Salary Non-Competitive

Former Employee - Engineer I in Juno Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer I in Juno Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fpl or Next Era is a huge company with many different career path opportunities. The salary is adequate for those beginning in their career. My advice is to know where you want to be in the company and go for it.

Cons

Fpl knows that they are the only major employer for engineers in So Florida. That is why their salaries are not competitive. Also the company promotes diversity but Sr. Mgmt is not truly diverse.

Some of upper mgmt have an extreme arrogance towards lower level employees.

Florida Power & Light Photos