Florida State University

www.fsu.edu

Florida State University Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Florida State University – US – “University logo”

Florida State University Interim President Garnett S. Stokes

Garnett S. Stokes

Pros
  • Really enjoyable work environment that gives you the opportunity to meet a lot of wonderful individuals(in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, great school, management is top heavy but easy to work with(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It was low pay compare to other school(in 10 reviews)

• A lot of time is wasted on unnecessary politics and projects(in 3 reviews)

Good experiences and a good company with great people who motivate you to grow and become the best you can be.

ProsGreat working environment which created confortable atmosphere.

ConsResources were sometimes scarce trying to find the right person for the right answers.

Research based (non tenured) Faculty

Assistant Scholar/Scientist (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsLess working-load, free working environments, higher research activity from the administrators, also good place to live in family. Less tax rate state

ConsLower income, not highly known research school in U.S

Greatest on-campus job

University Ambassador (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsThe Florida State Visitors Center puts the aspect of being a student first. Scheduling is made to be flexible with your class schedules and time for studying. The environment is professional for a college student and supervisors are very approachable for any situation, professional or personal. It is the greatest thing to officially represent the university and talk to visitors and prospective students about Florida State.

ConsThe biggest challenge is conducting tours on those hot summer days ... but you get used to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter transportation for VIP visitors or under special circumstances. Out of the 4 vans we had, 1 is really only left and the maintenance of that van is already poor. We work with what we have, but it would be great if we could get some updates in that. Also, we are the only entity that represents the university to visitors that does not have official gear. That would be nice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You'll Love It - CSC

Event Staff (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsYou meet lots of people, the staff is nice, its hourly. Its a pretty good part time job, you call if you want to work or they'll call you.. During football season is the best time to join in. The interviews are really easy, and after you get the job you fill out some paper work and then have to come in for a test that has like 10 questions on it from the powerpoint they show you before. Good luck!

ConsThey don't answer the phones if its not a dang Monday or Tuesday, and some of the people who come there don't like the rules so they get little funky attitudes, and its bi-weekly.

Overall Very Pleasant

ProsCompensation is fair, but the job security and vacation time make up for it. They give you all the days between Christmas and new years off without having to use your vacation time.

ConsThey don't give raises. With the increase in inflation and cost of living I'm actually making less than when I started.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think more can be done to spend funding money more efficiently, but they are working on it.

Research Assistant at Florida State University

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsGood benefits and work environment.

ConsLack of training, promotions without more education.

Worked various housing student jobs

Assistant (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsIf you're a student, there's no better job.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Good place to work

ProsIt is really good that every TA has office. There are good training program as well. It was really nice to work there. Nice instructors and nice school.

ConsYou do have too much freedom there. It was low pay compare to other school. It was difficult if you have a family to support.

Advice to Senior Managementraise the pay.

office clerk

Office Clerk (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

Proseasy job to get for students. fexible schedule. can do hw during downtime

Consmin wage and some of the office clerks ffices dont let you do hw during downtime. they keep the a/c way to cold most of the time

Advice to Senior Managementkeep rooms at confortable tempreature. Most offices are kept extremely cold

Night Staff is a fantastic job for night owls

Night Staff (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsFirst, you get paid around 8.50, which is higher than minimum wage in florida.

There's a lot of down time in a shift. You do 5 set of rounds throughout the evening and log stuff. Not much heavy duty work there. The rigor of your work depends on when and where you are stationed for the night. You'll find a lot less work in McCollum on a Tuesday than Wildwood on a Saturday.

The student supervisors and head staff are wonderful. The supervisors are extremely warm, kind, and knowledgable. They're your backup if things get too crazy for you and they will follow through. Head Staff is great as well. They are very prompt in return calls and emails and will follow up with you to ensure everything is well.

You meet many new people. I've made friends with many RAs and even some residents who are up as well. The resident life in the halls you supervise will make or break your experience as night staff.

This is a customer service position so you'll pick up a lot of face time with residents, guest, cops, parents, administrators, etc. This job will definitely test your confrontational skills.

ConsNine hours shift will burn you out after a while. 10:30pm-7:30am. It best to make sure you get some sleep before work or you'll have a bad time. Resetting yourself is pretty difficult.

Although supervisors are really friendly, some won't go on their set of rounds to each of the halls.

Things get lonely at 3 and 4 in the morning, and you still have a few hours to go.

There's just night staff, then supervisor. No other promotion opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more training to hone confrontational skills, and even certification courses like CPR.

Have more mandated socials. Work was great with the people I know, but I feel like I missed out on many other possible friendships.

Worked for Florida State University? Contribute to the Community!