Florida Virtual School

Be The First To
Add Photos

Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker

Ron Blocker

Pros:
  • "I did not select Very Dissatisfied because I get to work from home"
    in 56 reviews
  • "The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Overloaded with students and expectations, work 12 hour days, unclear expectations, no job security"
    in 10 reviews
  • "We sign annual very weak at-will probationary contracts that give teachers no job protection"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great teamwork, support and dedication to students

Orlando, FL

ProsHaving worked at FLVS for the past 9 years I have had the privilege of working with some of the most passionate and energetic teachers. They are creative and truly care about students. The professional learning opportunities are first class and you have a chance to grow into other roles should you choose to pursue.

ConsYou must commit to serving students outside the regular classroom schedule. The hours and days will vary, but you have a team that will support you. That is explained during the interview process and Julie Young sends out a committment letter annually. If you are not satisfied with the working conditions then you should leave and pursue other jobs as this would not be a good fit for you or your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement strives to communicate even when things are tough. Keep those lines flowing consistently - love the monthly organizational sessions to keep staff posted on where we are as an organization.

Florida Virtual School has made a positive impact me professionally and personally

ProsOur team is full of committed individuals with aligned goals on student success. FLVS is an organization that has made so many impacts on the virtual education space, and I'm proud to call FLVS home!

ConsThere are not any cons to mention.

Instructor

FLVS Instructor (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsFreedom to decide what hours you work. Great people in the Organization. Ability to teach and interact with Students without having to manage behavior. Good Health Benefits.

ConsIf you break down your hourly schedule you make a lot less (not even close) to what a Face to Face teacher makes in public school, no matter what district in Florida. Summers are Grueling. Company is in a state of transition, having to reinvent itself after State funding laws changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking out of both sides of your mouth. Practice what you Preach. Do as your mission statement says or change the mission statement. The students are not the heart of every decision that is made. There will always be a conflict of interest between the Business Model and Differentiating Instruction.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, Until I was laid off.

Part-Time Instructional (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsGreat pay and very flexible schedule

Consworking from home can get old quick

Advice to Senior Managementgrow slow to prevent laying off hundreds of people

Online Instructor for over 1 year

FLVS Instructor (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsYou are working at home and don't have to get dressed up everyday.
    Great Benefits and Vacation/Sick time that is definitely reasonable compared to other companies. Some flexibility with time if you need to go to a doctor appointment or run an errand.

ConsWorking 60+ hours a week in order to get the minimum completed, yet you still don't.
    Unrealistic expectations for teachers. Teachers are overworked and not paid enough for how much work you do. Working on weekends and everyday from 8-8. There is too much to do and not enough time. 200+ students per teacher. There is NO work and life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit the amount of students per teacher and also lower certain expectations/guidelines for teachers or hire aides to help them with these tasks.

Not a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home, equipment provided

ConsOverloaded with students and expectations, work 12 hour days, unclear expectations, no job security

Advice to Senior ManagementI have never worked so hard and felt so unappreciated in my life. Take a little pride and treat your teachers like the professionals they are.

It has been a god-send for me to work for FLVS but I'm worried about the future

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsFlexibility in schedule, good training.

ConsPressure to perform, scary future because of change in legislative model

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease communicate with us better on why some teachers were cut and some remained. I was told we were "the best of the best" but what am I being judged on? I know credit completion, monthly calls, non-workers, lessons but what else?

Overworked no time for family

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsWork from home, flexibility with schedule.

ConsLong hours, phone rings constantly, a lot of managers, constant change, poor leadership,

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to alleviate workload, listen and address employee concerns? CEO Julie young cares about the bottom line only, doesn't care that the turnover rate is crazy, or that employees can not keep up with workload.

More of a business than an educator

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThe families were wonderful! It was convenient to be at home. The platform is attractive to look at. There are very patient lead teachers who really help new teachers to learn how to use the software.

ConsMy concern is that money seems to be the number one priority here. The faster you get the students through the course, the better is the message. The Instructional leader for World Languages has never had the opportunity to learn another language. Clearly, this indicates that the students' learning of that language is not the concern. The platform is initially impressive but further review of materials and tests shows flaws in the material. There are mistakes in the language, assignments sometimes have very little to do with the modules studied and some of the modules are just a hodge-podge of stuff with no clear direction for the student. Also, there are some good practice activities which could easily be auto-graded to give the student credit, but this has not been done yet. Students are not motivated to do this work then. The belief seems to be that students will be motivated if you call them and their parents like a telemarketer--the more often the better. The result is that students ignore your number. We are told that we should make 20 calls in 2 hours time. Ten minutes to research , make, complete and log the call? This is not a good educational practice. We are also supposed to grade 50-100 assignments per day. Yet this is one of the few places where an instructional moment can occur, but there simply isn't time for quality feedback.
    There is little opportunity to actually use the language and teach the student. I spent more time explaining technology or what the assignment required in English than I did using the target language.
    When I was a new teacher, I got so many phone calls asking how I was getting things done, that I barely had to time to get anything done. I think one "go to" person should be enough.

Advice to Senior Management1. Definitely Instructional Leaders must be experts in the field they are leading. It speaks volumes that this is not being done.
    2. Check to be sure that the teachers can speak the language they are teaching. I never spoke to anyone at FLVS in the target language. No one ever spoke to me in the target language. The research has proven for a long time that students need to hear their teacher speaking the target language in order to make progress, but the opportunities for this are rare and are not even encouraged.
    3. Speaking of languages, in the state of Florida, you would think that there would be some kind of effort to accommodate the numerous students who do not come from an English-only family. Especially in the case of Spanish and Haitian Creole, one would think that a special effort could be made for these children who suffer from a language barrier to the curriculum. Upon my departure, I was told that students who had been doing their DBA's with instructions in Spanish (since I can speak Spanish) would now have to do them in English because there were no longer any teachers capable of speaking Spanish). This poses a serious threat to their equal access to public services and is clearly not "putting the student at the center of every decision we make".
    4. Don't use teachers just to hound kids and parents into completing the course at any cost.
    5. Don't use software that has incorrect information in it. I advised in February that there were serious mistakes in the instructional material and it was still not even corrected by August. This is just not acceptable.
    6. Use a more functional approach to encourage student and teacher to focus on USING the language rather than naming assignments and what has to be done by when.
    7. When creating assignments, give a model.
    8. There were some good opportunities that required students to listen and understand but more are needed. There is too much emphasis on writing French.
    9. Give students credit for the practice activities. Many of the students do not do the practice activities because there is no immediate reinforcement for doing them.
    10. You need to include voice-recognition software (it exists) There are far too many students being passed through who are totally incomprehensible because of poor pronunciation. Make it possible for teachers to work with students on this. They need to speak the language; not just complete assignments.
    11. Even though you have an Academic Integrity department, it is not stopping students from attempting to use a translator to complete assignments. The consequences are too wishy-washy to mean anything to the students and they continue to do it. I looked at past work done by my students which had clearly been almost 100% the work of an electronic translator; the language was definitely not the way a real person would express the idea and the vocabulary used was not even from the module. This was allowed by several teachers and graders. The best thing to do would be to set up the assignments so that translator use is not even possible and so that students will not feel so frustrated that they will be tempted to use it.
    12. Pare down the number of trainers that call-call-call. Allow new teachers to explore. Create new teacher modules for teachers to practice on. But seriously, if a mentor is not a teacher of a subject similar to the one you teach, they are not going to be of much help.

Horrendous company run by 'pop' business books read by CEO Julie Young

Instructor (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThere are none. Stay away.

ConsJulie and administrators live in a Group-Think paradise: if you agree with admin, you are a "balcony" person; if you don't, you are a "basement" person. I have a Master's in Business with many years experience--it's just painful listening to the CEO pontificate about how they are a learning organization (please--look up what that really means) and going on ad nauseum about the book Blue Oceans and Red Oceans. The administration reads business books for confirmation bias that they are doing all the correct things, rather than doing any genuine soul-searching. The company used to do "focus groups" with the employees, but if you said anything unflattering, you were fired, so it was an abject waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease! Get out of politics and stop bothering teachers with metrics that have nothing to do with teaching. And when the model is broken ("The pace chart is just a suggestion, Students", then "Teachers, your jobs depend on students completing on time)--just fix it!! Don't hold on to what's not working.

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Florida Virtual School reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Florida Virtual School CEO Ron Blocker. All 133 reviews posted anonymously by Florida Virtual School employees.