Florida Virtual School Reviews

Reset
3.2
Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker
Ron Blocker

Pros
  • Work from home on my own schedule (in 71 reviews)

• The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Overloaded with students and expectations, work 12 hour days, unclear expectations, no job security (in 12 reviews)

• You have to find work life balance with your family needs (in 8 reviews)

Global School Review

Current Employee - Client Support Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Client Support Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with the Global School team, which is a smaller team within the larger organization. My team consisted of three people. - Small team with great flexibility - Work from home all but two days a month - Good benefits (Dental, Vision, Medical, Tuition reimbursement) - Lots of time off that align with school vacations, plus PTO (2 weeks around Christmas, 1 week around July 4th)

Cons

- Lower pay - Not much in the way of career advancement

2. Could be awesome to work here but in reality it is not and no one seems to care.

Current Employee - Online Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and fellow teachers are the strengths of this company. Fellow colleagues are some of the most dedicated underappreciated people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Very weak management and school board. Teachers here are not valued as professionals. No raises or cost of living adjustments. School is not funded properly and no one cares. Leadership talks about transparency but in practice it does not exist. Student/Parent surveys are directly linked to teacher evaluations, these are opinions not facts and teachers cannot respond to or have any recourse. No union, Contract is not negotiated.

Advice to Management

Please employ educational practices, this is not a business. Teachers are not customer service reps, let them teach.

Overload

Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Excellent benefits. Great co-workers

Cons

Lousy management from the top. Changes were constant. Had WAY too many students at once 300.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers when they are saying they are overloaded. Working from 7 a.m. til 11 p.m. getting things graded is not the way to do things.

5. Intense workplace with high expectations

Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School (More than 8 years)

Pros

competitive salary, opportunity for growth and experience in various areas of education industry

Cons

Job security, rapid change in organizational structure

Very Challening Place to Work

Former Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very dedicated, hard working teachers; also many non-insturctional staff that care deeply for students' successes and for the overall health of the organization. Many students have benefited and excelled who would not have done so in a brick and mortar environment.

Cons

FLVS has great intentions; students are a primary focus, but that focus is sabatoged by poor managment practices, illogical and costly decision making, and lack of accountability for program/project initiatives. The turnover rate is probably one of the highest in the educational field, and employees are chastised when attempting to make wrong things right. Not a healthy environment in which to work.

Advice to Management

I wish I had the solution; so many very good people were 'let go'; so many inept stayed. I would strongly suggest that the drama and biased intrapersonal relationships be put aside and empower those who can see things logically and realistically.

7. Reviewd

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company values, beliefs and student centered

Cons

No job security in any position

8. Best place I ever worked !!!!!!

Current Employee - Registrar in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Registrar in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feeling that I bring something to the table. They value my input. Work from home lots of flexibility really kind and understanding admin makes you feel like u r part of a team

Cons

Sometimes lonely working from home

Advice to Management

Continue on your current path. Student is the center of every decision

Slightly better than being unemployed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees work from their home office, although some face to face time is required despite there being no place for this to happen. The benefits are good and FLVS pays a good portion of the premiums.

Cons

Pay is a joke. You can forget about ever getting a raise. Micromanagement is prevalent. Employees are expected to work a ridiculous amount of hours - totally negating the generous time of. There is very little opportunity for advancement. Leadership is a joke. The courses are terrible for students. It is embarrassing to be associated with it. The lack of technology provided to the employees makes a difficult job even worse. Trying to communicate while on a call with more than 5 people at a time is horrendous. Plus, we're always being disconnected or cannot hear some of the conversation because of people using cell phones.

Advice to Management

Promoting people to manager who have little experience or training in management is a serious mistake. This is the worst management I have ever experienced. Everyone is miserable at FLVS. Get a clue.

10. Art Director

Current Employee - Art Director in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Art Director in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, flexible work environment. Even though most positions are fully remote, camaraderie and teamwork is very evident.

Cons

Roles and responsibilities may be confusing at times.

Not for everyone...

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FLVS takes a big adjustment if you're coming from a traditional school setting. Don't take this job just to work at home. Teaching for FLVS is demanding but not impossible. One thing I like is that since jobs are so competitive, they can hire the best of the bunch. I work with dedicated and amazing teachers. You need to be willing to embrace change and buy into what FLVS is selling. This is a business more than a school, but you still have the opportunity to "close the classroom door" as we say in education. I also have great benefits and we no longer have to be available on weekends!

Cons

You work year round, but it's actually fine for me because you don't have the physical exhaustion that comes with classroom teaching. Other reviews talk about bonuses but that is long gone. One big com is that if you want to take just a day off, you have to ask a friend to cover and then be willing to do the same for them (there are no subs). The one thing I miss most is creativity in the classroom...opportunities for that are few and far between. Lastly, FLVS has a bad habit of knee jerk reactions to parent complaints. You need to be okay with ebbs and flows.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers as much as you do patents.

RSS Feed </> Embed