Florida Virtual School

Be The First To
Add Photos

Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker

Ron Blocker

Pros
  • I did not select Very Dissatisfied because I get to work from home (in 58 reviews)

• The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no job security and no employee rights (in 11 reviews)

• We sign annual very weak at-will probationary contracts that give teachers no job protection (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights
66 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible, Fast Paced, Room For Growth

Lead Teacher (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWorking at FLVS you have the change to change the lives of students on a daily basis. You can learn, grow, and influence positive change. Organized teachers can spend a great deal of time impacting students on a one-on-one basis.

ConsDisorganized teachers will have long days (this is certainly a choice).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking toward the future!

Could have been better.

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsCompany culture, most people were very motivated, lots of opportunities for professional and personal development.

ConsDepartment was chaotic, unorganized, felt several business practices were unethical, director manager was too busy to see how department was functioning. Problems within departments are not addressed until they reach a certain level of escalation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganize your management teams and departments. A lot of wasted man power, re-address your recruiting/hiring process, it's too long and not cost effective. Hiring pools I feel are too ineffective for your business model.

Great Company

Teacher (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFlexibility, work more closely with students, work from home

ConsAvailability 8-8 daily, work like balance can be off without teaming

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide company training on team teaching.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"If you are looking for Overwhelming-Very Fast Pace-Daily Changes in Requirements then this is your you"

FLVS Instructor (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsYou decide your own hours. No need to use vacation or sick days because your hours are yours.

ConsNo separation from life and family because you are always on call. Sometimes 12-14 hours a day

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many changes-all over the place-Try to be more definite on job responsibilites

HORRIBLE place to work!!!

FLVS Instructor (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWorking from home, or anywhere with wifi.

ConsI worked FT for this company for 8 years and left by my own choice. Finally, I have my life back. I know for a fact there are employees whose job is to monitor what is being said about FLVS on social media. It is also their job to write wonderful reviews of this company in an attempt to counter what is being said by other negative reviewers.

There is no life/work balance. How can there be with the number of students you are required to serve? My last semester there I had 402 students in my class(and no, I wasn't teaching Drivers Ed). That number is impossible to manage There is no student-teacher relationship. It's like herding cattle rather than teaching. You will put in way over 40 hours a week out of fear of losing your job. A contract means nothing to this company. They can terminate you at any time, for any reason. It's impossible to keep up with the ever changing expectations. FLVS is only concerned with how many students they complete and they don't care what has to happen to complete that student. On more than one occasion I have attempted to fail a student, who did not meet the requirements of the class, and was told I needed to 'do whatever it takes' for the student to pass. They are interested in the bottom line and not doing what's in the best interest of the student.

I could spend a great deal of time discussing the negative aspects of FLVS, but it's just not worth my time. If you are considering a position with this company, think long and hard before leaving your current place of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO and upper management need to spend time as teachers. Julie Young is gone now, but when she was there she spent most of her time traveling and accepting awards. She sets expectations, but I doubt she could meet those expectations herself. Upper management is a group of long time friends and family. If you are not a part of their group, you will never move up to one of those positions. Perhaps you should hire based on qualifications. Drug test upper management. Some of them won't pass.

ESS Instructor

ESS Instructor (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsSome great teachers to conference with, working from home. Being able to teach the students who are actually interested in your course without dealing with behavior disruptions.

ConsDon't believe what they tell you in regards to their ads, you have to do exactly what they have in their course - no more no less. If you want to be creative, forget about it. You are also constantly on call, so expect students and parents calling at all hours of the day and night. Grading is a nightmare, and you will have NO family time!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying attention to what is going on with your instructors, they are the life blood of your company. When instructors and students are telling you that a course isn't working for them then stop depending on just the folks at VLC - try asking the instructors as well.

No appreciation for hard work

Online Instructor (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThe salary was OK and the benefits were good. I liked working from home, but at times it can be difficult.

Cons,There is no job security at all and hard work is not rewarded. I was part of the 800+ teacher layoff in August and had a "Highly Effective" 2012-2013 evaluation. I made well above my credit goal and had good customer service numbers. To this day, I still do not understand how they chose who to cut, considering there were people that didn't meet their credit goal and their numbers were way worse than mine.

You are on an annual contract, but its not really an annual contract. They are supposed to run from July 1 - June 30. You don't get your contract until well into September, though, so there are 2 to 2 1/2 months that you are not protected, which is when they did those layoffs. They made sure to let us finish up getting all those summer credits before kicking us to the curb.

I personally was never overloaded with students because of the subject area that I taught, but the work hours expectation is ridiculous. They tell people that teachers are available from 8 am to 8 pm 7 days a week. Because of that, parents and students think you should answer your phone 84 hours a week. But then management tells you that you really shouldn't be working over 40 hours per week and that if you do, you are doing something wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you are going to do layoffs, look at job performance and start with the lowest performing people first. When you do lay someone off, please tell them why they were chosen. If you want to give true to life work/balance, then stop telling students and parents that teachers are available 8-8 7 days a week.

Teachers work non-stop

Teacher (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsBeing able to help working students (when you have time after all the calling and calling for monthly calls of non-working students)

ConsThey making "teaming" mandatory, so that you can have the illusion of having some time off from the 8- 8 schedule 7 days per week. If another teacher takes your calls one evening, you have to take theirs and yours the next, so you don't really get time off. It is smoke and mirror illusions of time off. If you are sick, you have to beg a teammate to cover as the leads only handle vacations (you work so hard before your vacation trying to catch all the non-workers that the vacation is hard won) . If you say anything about overwork, they go on about "dedication" and how all the teachers are so "dedicated" to make you feel guilty for saying anything. They know due to the economy and school closing there are not many teaching jobs and they are milking the staff they have dry because they can get away with it. People need their jobs so they just put up with it as we are stuck. An attorney should look into their labor practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to have zero monthly calls overdue each month (completing a monthly call means the parent and student have to respond to you and have a conversation. If they don't you are in trouble)You have to call all non-workers each week. Leaves very little time for actual teaching. Mail out a progress report or have assistants do that calling and call the teacher if they actually need help with the work. We have no time left for family, little for teaching and we are exhausted. We don't say it out loud out of fear. We have to put on the fake Disney smiles at conferences because we need to keep our jobs.

The company is genuinely dedicated to it's core values and there is great work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWork / Life balance is the best I've ever experienced. Benefits are top notch and salaries are competitive.

ConsTeams & departments often work in silos and many projects remain unfinished.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus downward and promote career advancement.

Overworked, understaffed and under supported employees

Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat benefit package, work from home, helpful coworkers, virtual environment, get to visit students once a month through VLL (Virtual Learning Lab) in another city for a few days. That was a lot of fun going to visit my students! I loved watching them learn. I loved being able to and allowed to text them for responses for quick answers. Great salary!

ConsToo many students to handle at a time. My final year, I had a number of 253 at one time. The "Monthly Call" requirement is impossible when there are 253 students at a time with the need to call or contact both parent and students when parents don't care. Even if you've called the parent and documented the call,text or email, you're still penalized if they don't get back to you in a timely manner. The need for grading support when there are too many requirements for grading on the same day submission is received. One day, I had more than 500 submissions that needed to be graded that same day. If you give 1 minute for each submission, that's over 10 hours of grading, which does not allow you any time for catching up on anything else, such as correspondence or speaking with students.

It got very stressful towards the end of my employment there not just for me, but for a lot of other people.

Advice to Senior Managementhire some extra grading support, Students/Teacher ratio needs to be seriously looked at.

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!