Florida Virtual School

Updated September 18, 2014
2.5

Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker
Ron Blocker

Pros
  • I did not select Very Dissatisfied because I get to work from home (in 58 reviews)

• The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no job security and no employee rights (in 11 reviews)

• We sign annual very weak at-will probationary contracts that give teachers no job protection (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Could have been better.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company culture, most people were very motivated, lots of opportunities for professional and personal development.

Cons

Department was chaotic, unorganized, felt several business practices were unethical, director manager was too busy to see how department was functioning. Problems within departments are not addressed until they reach a certain level of escalation.

Reorganize your management teams and departments. A lot of wasted man power, re-address your recruiting/hiring process, it's too long and not cost effective. Hiring pools I feel are too ineffective for your business model.

Very Over worked

Former Employee - Middle School Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Middle School Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working From Home
    Teachers are really hard working and want you to succeed

Cons

No work life/balance
    Overload of students especially during the summer
    Some teams can be cliques, veterans looking out for each other
    Some IL's (Principal's) have no compassion, just want student completions.

We worked really hard as instructors to serve students but it is hard to make a connection with students when the ratio is high, Especially during summer! Although change is great, changes during every meeting can be overwhelming to implement!

Great idea, fun technology, rewarding to work with students but no free time to recharge

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than a year

Pros

The technology can be super fun to work with and working with kids on an individual basis is very rewarding. It is fun to be a part of this up and coming new way of teaching and learning.

Cons

No work life balance. Upper management pretends it exists or the teacher is in control but there is none. You work all the time. Providing quality individualized education to 170ish students at once is not really possible in a normal work week.

Cut down on hours per week

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I feel punished everyday I work here and the sad thing is I am not sure what for.

Current Employee - A Beat DOWN Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - A Beat DOWN Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home, overall the benefits are good. I like my coworkers but that could be that we identify with each other being in the sinking ship together. Ok, just kidding I like them.

Cons

Weak leaders who do not protect teachers from adminstration. Way over 40 hours a week. Little renumeration for hours worked. Very little professional respect. Unreasonable and sometimes unattainable job requirements. Good teachers terminated for voicing valid concerns. Human Resource department that is shady and does not care about "Humans" or "Resources". Marketing Department that places faux comments on websites like this to counteract all the terrible reviews and in these reviews insinuates it is just some teachers that can't handle this job or we are disorganized. Although I cannot speak for all teachers who work, here I would guess most feel similar to the way I do but we are scared to speak up in this environment of fear and intimidation. I can tell you I have been here over 6 years and love working with the students but am tired of the very poor treatment teachers receive here. Please read all the reviews here you will see the recurring theme of degrading teachers to make FLVS look good. No references given by FLVS if you try to leave. I really could keep going but if you do not believe how terrible this place is to work by now you never will. TEACHERS think about it for a long time before coming here.

It is clear that upper management does not care. They live in a fantasy world and believe it is ok to treat people this way because teachers here have no voice. I wish I had enough money to challenge FLVS' employment practices in court but unfortunately I do not.

This is not a place for serious teachers.

Former Employee - Full-Time Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Full-Time Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The professional developments options are tremendous.
    Every now and then you find an area of the organization run with integrity but they are being eliminated as quickly as they can be discovered.

Cons

The reviews on this site demonstrate decisively what a mistake it is to mistreat and mislead professional educators. If you work at any high-school, you'll know there are old-timers who can give you the scoop on just about every aspect of the place. At FLVS, old-timers are non-existent. I worked there for over four years and, out of 40 instructors in my one "school-house" (there are many, many school-houses), I had been around longer than 36 of them. The only ones who last beyond five years are those who simply cannot move on for financial or personal reasons. As a study in the marriage of education and business, FLVS is instructive for the many mistakes made. Here are a few:
    Instructors cannot provide the services promised to students and state legislators as they are currently managed. The concept of online education is promising but not with a traditional "here's your roster...help them succeed" model. Teachers working with online students need fewer students than classroom teachers, not more. And at FLVS there are more than double the number of students to serve per instructor. AP instructors with 300+ students? It doesn't work for anyone. Another "fail" is their remote employee management model. For instructors there are "Instructional Leaders" who are billed as principals but of course, they are not principals who have run a physical high school. My experience is that ILs are young APs or Deans, or early retirees, who do not see themselves moving up to a hard to come by actual school and opt for a virtual school house rather than return to teaching. ILs, by the way, don't last either. It's completely "normal" to have a half dozen ILs in your first two years there. I could go on and on...I worked there as an independent contractor before being hired full-time; I worked in Instruction and in Curriculum.

The directors who read this could surely figure out who I am. I wore many hats and interacted with many of them. I offer advice to them below but here let me offer advice to those reading these reviews for verification that there are those who share their experiences (remote teachers become so isolated and afraid of voicing their opinions) and for those thinking of working for FLVS. Quit when you get the chance if you are a current employee; you'll be so much happier if you can find a job at a physical school...and all of the challenges and joys that come with it. Don't work for FLVS if they don't significantly--and publicly--reform their practices. You will regret having worked at the current FLVS. Everyone does eventually. The reviews on this site are testament to that.

Middle Managers: You've been duped. You are not part of an educational reform movement. You've been hoodwinked into making money for those above you and perpetuating an organization built on guile and sustained with smoke and mirrors. With every bonus you accept, you make the lives of your instructors miserable. That hurts students; that hurts families; and, it will ultimately come back to bite you too.

Directors: You are so deeply entrenched in failed programs and models of "return on investment" management that you cannot see how wrongly you've acted and how cowardly you've led. Shame on you. If you really believed that "students come first," you would resign immediately.

Executive Management: Don't trust those who report to you directly. They will tell you what you want to hear and (in some cases I know this to be true), lie to you directly. Those at the very top are in a position to lead as visionaries. Live up to that responsibility or step aside. Get rid of your managers and directors who are better suited to running a chain restaurant or hotel franchise. Educating young people is an art, not a business.

Will Work you to death because you are expendable

Former Employee - Adjunct  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School part-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work from home which is a big selling point for them, but you are on the phone and in front of a computer 12 hours a day six days a week.

Cons

Hours are atrocious, amount of work is overwhelming. They will kick you to the curb in a heartbeat if you speak up. It is "factory teaching".

Treat teachers like human beings and not tireless robots.

High hopes...disappointing experience.

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being able to work anywhere that has internet.

Cons

No work life balance
    Constantly on call
    Felt misled by higher ups
    80 hour plus work weeks

Less students per teacher. Improve on "vacation" coverage. Management should go back and be instructors for a time to see how difficult it is to manage grading, many pointless calls, and academic integrity concerns.

Incredible, Fast Paced, Room For Growth

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at FLVS you have the change to change the lives of students on a daily basis. You can learn, grow, and influence positive change. Organized teachers can spend a great deal of time impacting students on a one-on-one basis.

Cons

Disorganized teachers will have long days (this is certainly a choice).

Keep looking toward the future!

Great Promises/Failed Delivery

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working from home has huge benefits if you have kids or older parents. It also forces you to get up to speed with a lot of common technologies out there today. A typical teacher might not have much experience using 21st century tools before joining FLVS. In general, there are some ridiculously great teachers . . .

Cons

BUT teachers are often not allowed to directly adjust the course materials and rarely have time to work on better materials to help students. Using outdated courses in many areas leads to inefficiency and teacher burnout. If you want higher credit yields, fix the courses.

Require teachers to pick shifts that add up to a 40 hour week instead of this living in the gray 7 days a week stuff. Require students to indicate their study times and assign students to teachers with similar schedules.

Teachers RUN like a ZOMBIE is chasing you. Stay Away from FLVS.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home. Work from home. Work from home. Work from home. Sorry, I had to have twenty words to complete this section.

Cons

Horrific Leadership who have too much power. Work between 60-80 hours per week. Daily changes to work requirements. Unrealistic performance expectations. Employees have no voice because if you do you are FIRED. If you see a positive rating on here about FLVS, QUESTION IT as the School has employees who put in "fake" ones to counteract all the negative ones. I am only here as I have 2 ill family members who need the insurance. Stay Away and stay where you are, it cannot be worse than this.

Run it like a school or run it like a business but not both. You may want to actually get some input from your teachers.

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!