Florida Virtual School

Updated December 6, 2014
2.5

Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker
Ron Blocker

Pros
  • I did not select Very Dissatisfied because I get to work from home (in 71 reviews)

• The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no job security and no employee rights (in 12 reviews)

• You have to find work life balance with your family needs (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Eye Wide Open

Former Employee - Teacher in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Teacher in Remote, OR

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary
    Flex time
    Work from home
    Benefits are fantastic
    Tools to work are provided (laptop, phone bill paid etc)
    Professional development great for teachers

Cons

60+ work week (despite their claim to 40)
    200+ students that you must contact weekly
    quotas that must be made by end of year or you are fired
    Lots of pressure from top down constantly
    More of a telemarketing job than an teaching job
    Cannot write own curriculum or even tweak it

Give the teachers less students and allow them to teach rather than call constantly
    Have a clear directive
    Don't lose the collaborative lessons, that's the only time kids get to interact!

Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome job. You work A LOT at the beginning. Over 50-60 hours easily trying to adapt. Once you get into a groove though you can do this job and serve students very easily. I am in front of my computer for 3-4 hours a day. The rest of the day I am with my family and answer the phone when a student calls. Hours seem like a lot (available form 8am to 8 pm) but students are in traditional schools so they don't call. Even if they do calls only last 1-4 minutes. You must get organized. Also find a good teammate to optimize your time and service to students. Leadership is strong even with lots of changes.

Cons

Very difficult in the beginning. Takes about 6 months to adjust so prepare your family. You can feel alone if you don't reach out and form relationships. Limited in your ability to change the course (curriculum holds the keys to that). Funding models from State are really bleeding the school. It is hard to move up if you do not live in Orlando and get face time at main office.

Let strong and balanced teachers really train others. Lighten their load to increase all teachers proficiencies, and not just a pat on the back. Use teacher strengths. Allow strong live lesson teachers to focus on live lessons and have less students. Listen to innovative ideas.

Great benefits and ability to work from home.

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

Great flexibility.
    Ability to work from home.
    Great colleagues.
    Rewarding
    Flexible

Cons

The salary is not market competitive. Poor job security and poor work/life balance.

Be loyal to dedicated employees, pay market value, and be sure to have a department for unique learners.

Job makes you feel less than a teacher and more like a telemarketer.

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home has its plusses. Benefits are good, Fellow telemarketers, oops I mean teachers are great for the most part.

Cons

Low salary and no raise this year makes the board grinches. Hours 8am to 8pm. Weekend availability expected. Poor Human Resources Department. Uncaring leadership most of which never taught here. Call and contact expectations are ridiculous.

It is obvious that the FLVS Board cares about the teachers very little as they would have stepped in to do something about the "fire first" ask questions later adminstration. Create a pay scale, put a leash on some of the HR people, give the teachers a voice here. Change hours to more reasonable ones, we should not be available to students 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. CARE! I know this is a waste of time but I like to write.

The Grass is not Greener Here, It Is Brown!

Current Employee - FLVS Instructor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - FLVS Instructor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home is a blessing and a curse here. Other teachers are great! Computer provided, Internet & Phone Stipend. Professional development.

Cons

No Work/Life Balance, Made Available to students 8-8, 7 days a week. Group think Leadership. Unclear and ever-changing work requirements. Low pay for hours expected to work. No teacher voice. No union.

Please take a look at who is the backbone of this organization (teachers) and take care of them instead of disrespecting them. You might start by stopping the marketing/human resource department putting misinformation about FLVS on here to counteract all the negative comments and actually address the enormous problems the school has with its treatment of its staff.

Still hoping for a silver lining

Current Employee - FLVS Instructor
    Current Employee - FLVS Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best things about this job is the ability to work from home and not have to be in your classroom at 7am.

Cons

This is one of the most inefficient places that I have ever worked. They use multiple different interfaces, and have changed them repeatedly over the last year alone. You don't really ever know who to contact about anything. The hours and expectations are ridiculous, the pay is ridiculous for the hours you work, and the training is corporate brainwashing and not actually useful or relevant to your every day job. The worst part is that the expectations are continually changing and you are stuck between a corporate wall and meeting the individual needs of your students without being allowed to actually hold your students accountable to anything.

Start behaving and implementing policies that actually represent your own mission statement and remember that the best part about innovation is being efficient and decreasing redundancies.

Flexibility

Current Employee - FLVS Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - FLVS Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home, Variety of students, great collegues

Cons

Too many students at times, LONG hours

Keep student load manageable.

Biggest Mistake of My Professional Career

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You don't have to see the tools you work for very often!

Cons

The novelty of working remotely wears off quickly once you realize you will not be actually using your experience and expertise to teach students who need you. Rather, you become simply a facilitator for a credit mill. The idea is that courses are basically online textbooks where students login and read and submit work for you to grade. The concept isn't bad except that the course/text would NEVER pass muster as an actual academic textbook. If taught in a physical classroom, you could cover an entire FLVS course in four to six weeks. There is a limit though...two weeks! That is the minimum they can, and do, get away with. The brevity of the coursework and the extremely low bar for quality submissions attract lots of students. At FLVS, fast completions and minimal accountability are the predominant virtues. It's certainly not in the best interests of students. It is however in the best interests of FLVS's bottom line or "return on investment." The directors and managers never...ever...reflect on how much learning is happening. But there is intense interest in how many course completions can be accomplished in the fewest number of weeks. Again, the "bottom line" is the only concern.

As an employee you will be depressed if teaching is a profession you really care about. You will also be angry a lot of the time...at least when you can generate the energy to be angry. FLVS assumes you are always trying to get over (scamming your way through is a corporate value so it's natural I guess for the managers to assume that). The result is that you will be monitored closely and pressured to work 70 hours a week. Read the negative reviews here on Glassdoor for a rundown of all of the details of why anyone who can, gets away from this company as quickly as possible.

I made many teacher and curriculum friends working at FLVS. We all hated what you made us do. Shame on you.

Severely overwork all employees. You work nearly 60 hours/ week. No real time off either. Run!!!!

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

The pay but it is not worth the consequences. 45000 divided by 60 hours is not worth it. You will have no time off to send resumes or even take a regular shower since you are constantly working. It is impossible to find another job when there is no time to look.

Cons

They will work you to death and make you think you just can figure out how to get the work done in 40 hours that maybe you have not figured it out yet. You will work thru half of your weekends and at least 10 hours each week day no matter how long you have been there. Even after years of being there. You will be fired if you speak out and everyone acts like they are not being overworked so they do not become targeted. Once you let them know you are overworked you put yourself of the "radar" where they try to "help" you but the help is just greater scrutiny that adds to your work load. Their strategy is to take out anyone that does not lie about not being severely overworked. Then they refuse to give anyone a reference after they leave so forget about getting work as a teacher any where else. To work in public schools you will have to get a reference letter from your last principal. Their policy is to not give them to anyone since they are constantly loosing teachers it would take several employees just to keep up with giving reference letters. They will only verify the dates you worked there no matter how well you did so you will not qualify to work in any other school afterwards since you cannot get a reference letter. They will think you did something wrong and not hire you.
    All of the work is waiting for you when you come back from any vacation day. So when you come back you will work more than 60 per week and be so stressed you will not want a "vacation" again, This job has led to nothing since all other online teaching jobs are part time only or are just as bad like K12.

Stop treating teachers like disposable slaves and provide subs so teachers can take a sick or personal day or a real vacation. Working them 60 hours a week then expecting them to ask the other teachers that are also overworked to fill in while they still have to work 60 hours is a ridiculous strategy. You have ruined so many careers and will soon exhaust the supply. I do not know how you live with yourselves. It shocking that a teacher led this biz for so long.

Not living up to its promise

Former Employee - FLVS Teacher
    Former Employee - FLVS Teacher

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They offer a competitive salary.

Cons

You work from home, which is NOT like always being at home; it is like always being at work, and dragging your poor family with you. There are far too many students per teacher, and because of performance-based funding, it has become a "credit factory" because there is NO funding if a student does not successfully complete a class. You are not treated like a valued team member or professional, just the latest in a long line of expendable teachers. As one of the first 40 teachers ever hired with FLVS (we had a whopping two IL's) , I knew I was part of something bigger than myself. I knew we were reaching students who would otherwise fall through the cracks, and it was incredibly rewarding. We were a team that was like "The Little Engine That Could" and we worked hard to be successful. That all changed over time. The leadership seemed to forget that they were Educators, and tried to be business people, and were miserable failures. The students are the unknown in every equation, and making teachers responsible for the behaviors of others is not reasonable or logical. Encouraging (insisting) that teachers bully students into finishing classes is insane. Finding out that teachers falsify contact logs should not be surprising, one non-communicative, defiant or overwhelmed teenager can cost a teacher their job. FLVS is no longer the industry leader, and a role model to other online entities- I know because I work for one. Time off? I remember asking my IL if I could take some of the vacation time I had accrued. She replied that of course, I was welcome to use my time, but I would be responsible for "keeping up with phone calls and grading" since there were no subs for people who just needed a break. That is NOT a vacation; that is working! For teachers considering making the switch to FLVS, look at the incredible turnover rate (no one ever retires from FLVS, unlike other schools and districts) and the fact that over the last 12 years, literally THOUSANDS of teachers have come and gone, most after a single year. Does that sound like a healthy and happy workplace? If you are still interested, consider the divorce rate among teachers- the job simply takes over your life, and you are struggling to breathe, feel overwhelmed 24/7, and stare at the ceiling wondering if you will still have a job next semester because of your annual contract and "no cause" dismissal policy. There is NO reason to put yourself or your family through that! Think again!

Remember how FLVS got to the top? It was customer service. That is ALL that can set you apart from the increasingly competitive crowd now, and they are beating you at your own game.