Florida Virtual School Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.7

Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker
Ron Blocker

Pros
  • I did not select Very Dissatisfied because I get to work from home (in 58 reviews)

• The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no job security and no employee rights (in 11 reviews)

• We sign annual very weak at-will probationary contracts that give teachers no job protection (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Company vision and job security are weak.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Florida Virtual School for more than a year

Pros

My manager and team are great. We all work cohesively and create a positive environment for all to be around. I am here because of them.

Majority of the people in this organization are very pleasant. The people you work with on a daily basis seem to be here for the right reasons - providing the best education for children.

The benefits are great! The paid time off, holidays, and the retirement make everyone quite happy here.

Cons

The company did not renew many people last year and this year again due to funding from the state. I feel that no one is safe during contract renewal and that they use this time to clean house even for high performing employees. Since these are non renewals they don't have responsibilities as they would when they lay you off.

Since the new leadership has been created, I hope the organization is going in the right direction. When Julie was here it seemed that money was not managed well, many business ventures did not succeed, and the vision was unclear. However, when she was here, she had a true passion for the children which I think has since been lost. This is sad because most of us work here to better education for today's kids.

We have had an "interim" CEO since February. I don't think this is a moral booster given all of the organizational changes that have been made. It would be nice to have a leader that will stay with us so that we can look to them for information on our future.

If you have a good team, manager, and you like what you do, you will like it here. I will say that the instruction side seems more volatile regarding job security.

Be more upfront about the organizational changes. This is a business, we can understand that funding has been cut but tell it to us straight don't make changes and leave us whispering about it.

Please don't lose sight of the children and why we work hard for an innovative school like FLVS.

Will Work you to death because you are expendable

Former Employee - Adjunct  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School part-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to work from home which is a big selling point for them, but you are on the phone and in front of a computer 12 hours a day six days a week.

Cons

Hours are atrocious, amount of work is overwhelming. They will kick you to the curb in a heartbeat if you speak up. It is "factory teaching".

Treat teachers like human beings and not tireless robots.

High hopes...disappointing experience.

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being able to work anywhere that has internet.

Cons

No work life balance
    Constantly on call
    Felt misled by higher ups
    80 hour plus work weeks

Less students per teacher. Improve on "vacation" coverage. Management should go back and be instructors for a time to see how difficult it is to manage grading, many pointless calls, and academic integrity concerns.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible, Fast Paced, Room For Growth

Current Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at FLVS you have the change to change the lives of students on a daily basis. You can learn, grow, and influence positive change. Organized teachers can spend a great deal of time impacting students on a one-on-one basis.

Cons

Disorganized teachers will have long days (this is certainly a choice).

Keep looking toward the future!

You can make a difference with your students.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Allows you to teach to the needs of each student. Develop meaningful relationships with students, parents and other staff members.
    Flexible work schedule
    Team building stressed for success
    Culture is very collaborative
    Communicate with student and parents individually a lot.
    Live lessons allow you to see learning in action.
    Best teaching situation I ever had. I thrived on helping my students be successful.
    I never could reach all students at Brick and Mortar, I learned how to do that here.

Cons

You have to find work life balance with your family needs. If you team you can maintain the balance easier.
    Consistency is difficult some weeks.
    Need to be self motivated and self disciplined.
    Legislation has forced many changes in work efficiency.

Make sure to be aware of the teacher class loads, it is critical to the best customer service.

This is not a place for serious teachers.

Former Employee - Full-Time Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Full-Time Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The professional developments options are tremendous.
    Every now and then you find an area of the organization run with integrity but they are being eliminated as quickly as they can be discovered.

Cons

The reviews on this site demonstrate decisively what a mistake it is to mistreat and mislead professional educators. If you work at any high-school, you'll know there are old-timers who can give you the scoop on just about every aspect of the place. At FLVS, old-timers are non-existent. I worked there for over four years and, out of 40 instructors in my one "school-house" (there are many, many school-houses), I had been around longer than 36 of them. The only ones who last beyond five years are those who simply cannot move on for financial or personal reasons. As a study in the marriage of education and business, FLVS is instructive for the many mistakes made. Here are a few:
    Instructors cannot provide the services promised to students and state legislators as they are currently managed. The concept of online education is promising but not with a traditional "here's your roster...help them succeed" model. Teachers working with online students need fewer students than classroom teachers, not more. And at FLVS there are more than double the number of students to serve per instructor. AP instructors with 300+ students? It doesn't work for anyone. Another "fail" is their remote employee management model. For instructors there are "Instructional Leaders" who are billed as principals but of course, they are not principals who have run a physical high school. My experience is that ILs are young APs or Deans, or early retirees, who do not see themselves moving up to a hard to come by actual school and opt for a virtual school house rather than return to teaching. ILs, by the way, don't last either. It's completely "normal" to have a half dozen ILs in your first two years there. I could go on and on...I worked there as an independent contractor before being hired full-time; I worked in Instruction and in Curriculum.

The directors who read this could surely figure out who I am. I wore many hats and interacted with many of them. I offer advice to them below but here let me offer advice to those reading these reviews for verification that there are those who share their experiences (remote teachers become so isolated and afraid of voicing their opinions) and for those thinking of working for FLVS. Quit when you get the chance if you are a current employee; you'll be so much happier if you can find a job at a physical school...and all of the challenges and joys that come with it. Don't work for FLVS if they don't significantly--and publicly--reform their practices. You will regret having worked at the current FLVS. Everyone does eventually. The reviews on this site are testament to that.

Middle Managers: You've been duped. You are not part of an educational reform movement. You've been hoodwinked into making money for those above you and perpetuating an organization built on guile and sustained with smoke and mirrors. With every bonus you accept, you make the lives of your instructors miserable. That hurts students; that hurts families; and, it will ultimately come back to bite you too.

Directors: You are so deeply entrenched in failed programs and models of "return on investment" management that you cannot see how wrongly you've acted and how cowardly you've led. Shame on you. If you really believed that "students come first," you would resign immediately.

Executive Management: Don't trust those who report to you directly. They will tell you what you want to hear and (in some cases I know this to be true), lie to you directly. Those at the very top are in a position to lead as visionaries. Live up to that responsibility or step aside. Get rid of your managers and directors who are better suited to running a chain restaurant or hotel franchise. Educating young people is an art, not a business.

Sad very sad. Teachers you may want to skip this place. It is run like a business. You will burn out quick.

Current Employee - FLVS Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - FLVS Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home. Good Medical Benefits. Average salary for working 12 months a year.

Cons

8 am to 8 pm availability, 7 days a week.
    No Union
    Contract only outlines how and why they will get rid of you.
    Zero Job Security
    Business not a school
    Constant changes in job requirements
    Intimidation & Fear based management
    Teachers have no voice here, if you do speak up you are terminated for not being a team player.
    Please stay away teachers you will regret coming here.

Please fix it or unfortunately I will have to leave. I know you do not really care, I am at a loss for words for this section.

Awesome place to work!!

Current Employee - FLVS Instructor
    Current Employee - FLVS Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

You are able to help a student in their world. I enjoy the constant interaction with students and the flexible work schedule . If you are organized and have a heart for kids you will do very well at this place. I have worked in education for over 10 years and this has been one of my greatest experiences .
    It would very easy to get overwhelmed with this job if you aren't organized, however they have an excellent training program that teaches you how to manage the ins and outs of the job.

It's a difficult place to get a job with and they tell you everything to expect during the interview process. The pay is decent and most teachers I speak with seem to enjoy their jobs.

Cons

It can be difficult to manage the workload at times. Working from home is great but it does present it's own distractions.

Could have been better.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company culture, most people were very motivated, lots of opportunities for professional and personal development.

Cons

Department was chaotic, unorganized, felt several business practices were unethical, director manager was too busy to see how department was functioning. Problems within departments are not addressed until they reach a certain level of escalation.

Reorganize your management teams and departments. A lot of wasted man power, re-address your recruiting/hiring process, it's too long and not cost effective. Hiring pools I feel are too ineffective for your business model.

Wonderful experience in online teaching.

I have been working at Florida Virtual School

Pros

The flexible schedule. PD training. Peer support.

Cons

Learning new systems. Time management. New procedures.

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!