Florida Virtual School

Be The First To
Add Photos

Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker

Ron Blocker

Pros
  • I did not select Very Dissatisfied because I get to work from home (in 58 reviews)

• The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no job security and no employee rights (in 11 reviews)

• We sign annual very weak at-will probationary contracts that give teachers no job protection (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Company vision and job security are weak.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsMy manager and team are great. We all work cohesively and create a positive environment for all to be around. I am here because of them.

Majority of the people in this organization are very pleasant. The people you work with on a daily basis seem to be here for the right reasons - providing the best education for children.

The benefits are great! The paid time off, holidays, and the retirement make everyone quite happy here.

ConsThe company did not renew many people last year and this year again due to funding from the state. I feel that no one is safe during contract renewal and that they use this time to clean house even for high performing employees. Since these are non renewals they don't have responsibilities as they would when they lay you off.

Since the new leadership has been created, I hope the organization is going in the right direction. When Julie was here it seemed that money was not managed well, many business ventures did not succeed, and the vision was unclear. However, when she was here, she had a true passion for the children which I think has since been lost. This is sad because most of us work here to better education for today's kids.

We have had an "interim" CEO since February. I don't think this is a moral booster given all of the organizational changes that have been made. It would be nice to have a leader that will stay with us so that we can look to them for information on our future.

If you have a good team, manager, and you like what you do, you will like it here. I will say that the instruction side seems more volatile regarding job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more upfront about the organizational changes. This is a business, we can understand that funding has been cut but tell it to us straight don't make changes and leave us whispering about it.

Please don't lose sight of the children and why we work hard for an innovative school like FLVS.

You can make a difference with your students.

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsAllows you to teach to the needs of each student. Develop meaningful relationships with students, parents and other staff members.
    Flexible work schedule
    Team building stressed for success
    Culture is very collaborative
    Communicate with student and parents individually a lot.
    Live lessons allow you to see learning in action.
    Best teaching situation I ever had. I thrived on helping my students be successful.
    I never could reach all students at Brick and Mortar, I learned how to do that here.

ConsYou have to find work life balance with your family needs. If you team you can maintain the balance easier.
    Consistency is difficult some weeks.
    Need to be self motivated and self disciplined.
    Legislation has forced many changes in work efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to be aware of the teacher class loads, it is critical to the best customer service.

Incredible, Fast Paced, Room For Growth

Lead Teacher (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsWorking at FLVS you have the change to change the lives of students on a daily basis. You can learn, grow, and influence positive change. Organized teachers can spend a great deal of time impacting students on a one-on-one basis.

ConsDisorganized teachers will have long days (this is certainly a choice).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep looking toward the future!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work!!

FLVS Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsYou are able to help a student in their world. I enjoy the constant interaction with students and the flexible work schedule . If you are organized and have a heart for kids you will do very well at this place. I have worked in education for over 10 years and this has been one of my greatest experiences .
    It would very easy to get overwhelmed with this job if you aren't organized, however they have an excellent training program that teaches you how to manage the ins and outs of the job.

It's a difficult place to get a job with and they tell you everything to expect during the interview process. The pay is decent and most teachers I speak with seem to enjoy their jobs.

ConsIt can be difficult to manage the workload at times. Working from home is great but it does present it's own distractions.

Wonderful experience in online teaching.

ProsThe flexible schedule. PD training. Peer support.

ConsLearning new systems. Time management. New procedures.

Could have been better.

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsCompany culture, most people were very motivated, lots of opportunities for professional and personal development.

ConsDepartment was chaotic, unorganized, felt several business practices were unethical, director manager was too busy to see how department was functioning. Problems within departments are not addressed until they reach a certain level of escalation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganize your management teams and departments. A lot of wasted man power, re-address your recruiting/hiring process, it's too long and not cost effective. Hiring pools I feel are too ineffective for your business model.

Horrible. The teachers are very persistent and it's annoying. You try to work at your own pace and you can't.

ProsYou can in a way work at your own pace.

ConsThe teachers. They call you every second of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to get your teachers to be a little less "on top" of their students.

Under appreciated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeachers are able to work from home and teachers can make their own schedule, however expected to return calls asap.

ConsTeachers are overloaded with 250+ students, not listened to when offer opinions, expected to work 7 days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your teachers who are working with your clients, the students and parents.

Any Positive Review is Written by a "Sock Puppet"

High School Mathematics (Current Employee)

ProsI loved working with all of the students

ConsPlease read any other review for details. Any positive review is written by a "Sock Puppet" from the Virtual Learning Center (FLVS Headquarters) and probably from the Marketing Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck, Mr. Blocker. I hope that you keep "cleaning house" -- especially on the instructional side of the company.

Great Company

Teacher (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsFlexibility, work more closely with students, work from home

ConsAvailability 8-8 daily, work like balance can be off without teaming

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide company training on team teaching.

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!