Florida Virtual School

Updated September 25, 2014
2.5

Florida Virtual School Interim President and CEO Ron Blocker
Ron Blocker

Pros
  • I did not select Very Dissatisfied because I get to work from home (in 67 reviews)

• The flexibility is great, the salary is fine, the benefits are great (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no job security and no employee rights (in 11 reviews)

• You have to find work life balance with your family needs (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Under appreciated

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Teachers are able to work from home and teachers can make their own schedule, however expected to return calls asap.

Cons

Teachers are overloaded with 250+ students, not listened to when offer opinions, expected to work 7 days a week.

Listen to your teachers who are working with your clients, the students and parents.

Any Positive Review is Written by a "Sock Puppet"

Current Employee - High School Mathematics
    Current Employee - High School Mathematics

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved working with all of the students

Cons

Please read any other review for details. Any positive review is written by a "Sock Puppet" from the Virtual Learning Center (FLVS Headquarters) and probably from the Marketing Department.

Good luck, Mr. Blocker. I hope that you keep "cleaning house" -- especially on the instructional side of the company.

My experience was far from ok.

Former Employee - Full Time Instructor  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Full Time Instructor in Miami, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than a year

Pros

FLVS provides very flexible schedule opportunities.

Cons

It is a sales job. Not education oriented.

Be more specific with guidelines and set up more efficient scheduling techniques

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"If you are looking for Overwhelming-Very Fast Pace-Daily Changes in Requirements then this is your you"

Current Employee - FLVS Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - FLVS Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You decide your own hours. No need to use vacation or sick days because your hours are yours.

Cons

No separation from life and family because you are always on call. Sometimes 12-14 hours a day

Too many changes-all over the place-Try to be more definite on job responsibilites

Great Company

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, work more closely with students, work from home

Cons

Availability 8-8 daily, work like balance can be off without teaming

Provide company training on team teaching.

Florida Virtual School

Current Employee - Math Instructor  in  Port Orange, FL
    Current Employee - Math Instructor in Port Orange, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary - Better beginning than any other districts in Florida
    Location - Work from home
    Schedule - Flexible

Cons

Class size - Anywhere from 150-250 students
    Schedule - need to be very flexible and willing to work with students schedules

Fast-paced and focused work.

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

I came to FLVS because I wanted something different out of a career in Education than what the traditional setting was providing. I've stayed for several years because I found it at FLVS. I actually like that we are highly accountable to each other and to student success. Teachers and administrators in a traditional school can simply let that kid in the back of the room put his head down and sleep through class. (They get full funding for that student whether he sleeps or learns.) FLVS only gets funded for working with a student if that student learns. And here's the thing: that's much, much harder than letting him sleep. When I was a traditional school teacher, I did everything I could to get every student engaged and excited about learning. But I knew for certain that there were teachers all over my school with tenure and double my salary who let them sleep. I appreciate that for as long as I've worked at FLVS, I've known that that kind of disparity in teacher quality was not going on here. FLVS is different because no one--from teachers to ILs to the CEO--can let anyone sleep in class. Our way of work depends on everyone being fully invested in students actually learning. It's definitely not easy, but, for me at least, it's worth it.

Cons

Budget uncertainty every year. Everything in the organization is completely dependent on state funding decisions out of Tallahassee.

Continue to share progress and updates with everyone.

HORRIBLE place to work!!!

Former Employee - FLVS Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - FLVS Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working from home, or anywhere with wifi.

Cons

I worked FT for this company for 8 years and left by my own choice. Finally, I have my life back. I know for a fact there are employees whose job is to monitor what is being said about FLVS on social media. It is also their job to write wonderful reviews of this company in an attempt to counter what is being said by other negative reviewers.

There is no life/work balance. How can there be with the number of students you are required to serve? My last semester there I had 402 students in my class(and no, I wasn't teaching Drivers Ed). That number is impossible to manage There is no student-teacher relationship. It's like herding cattle rather than teaching. You will put in way over 40 hours a week out of fear of losing your job. A contract means nothing to this company. They can terminate you at any time, for any reason. It's impossible to keep up with the ever changing expectations. FLVS is only concerned with how many students they complete and they don't care what has to happen to complete that student. On more than one occasion I have attempted to fail a student, who did not meet the requirements of the class, and was told I needed to 'do whatever it takes' for the student to pass. They are interested in the bottom line and not doing what's in the best interest of the student.

I could spend a great deal of time discussing the negative aspects of FLVS, but it's just not worth my time. If you are considering a position with this company, think long and hard before leaving your current place of employment.

The CEO and upper management need to spend time as teachers. Julie Young is gone now, but when she was there she spent most of her time traveling and accepting awards. She sets expectations, but I doubt she could meet those expectations herself. Upper management is a group of long time friends and family. If you are not a part of their group, you will never move up to one of those positions. Perhaps you should hire based on qualifications. Drug test upper management. Some of them won't pass.

FLVS is on the cutting edge of education, so mistakes are inevitable.

I have been working at Florida Virtual School part-time for less than a year

Pros

Online education is an exciting area to work in. FLVS is still the leader, and they are constantly improving their pedagogical approach as well as their business model.

Cons

FLVS still seems unclear about their institutional identity. Their claim to be a public school seems at odds with their business practices.

Make a clear decision to function as a private/charter institution, or as a fully integrated division of Florida Public Schools. Support public schools, or compete with them.

A big mess

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work from home
    - Can teach online and not have to worry about the classroom
    - More 1-on-1 with students
    - Students with busier schedules will love this

Cons

- 8 hour workday
    - Expected to work 60+ hours a week
    - Growing way too fast, was one of the employees who were laid off
    - Absolutely no balance in work and life
    - Employers can inspect your office (home), a violation of privacy
    - Cheating among students is rampant, no clear way to prevent it since the courses are online

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!