Florida Virtual School Reviews

Updated April 21, 2015
176 reviews filtered by

Company vision and job security are weak.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Florida Virtual School (More than a year)

Pros

My manager and team are great. We all work cohesively and create a positive environment for all to be around. I am here because of them.

Majority of the people in this organization are very pleasant. The people you work with on a daily basis seem to be here for the right reasons - providing the best education for children.

The benefits are great! The paid time off, holidays, and the retirement make everyone quite happy here.

Cons

The company did not renew many people last year and this year again due to funding from the state. I feel that no one is safe during contract renewal and that they use this time to clean house even for high performing employees. Since these are non renewals they don't have responsibilities as they would when they lay you off.

Since the new leadership has been created, I hope the organization is going in the right direction. When Julie was here it seemed that money was not managed well, many business ventures did not succeed, and the vision was unclear. However, when she was here, she had a true passion for the children which I think has since been lost. This is sad because most of us work here to better education for today's kids.

We have had an "interim" CEO since February. I don't think this is a moral booster given all of the organizational changes that have been made. It would be nice to have a leader that will stay with us so that we can look to them for information on our future.

If you have a good team, manager, and you like what you do, you will like it here. I will say that the instruction side seems more volatile regarding job security.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the organizational changes. This is a business, we can understand that funding has been cut but tell it to us straight don't make changes and leave us whispering about it.

Please don't lose sight of the children and why we work hard for an innovative school like FLVS.

Could have been better.

Former Contractor - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, most people were very motivated, lots of opportunities for professional and personal development.

Cons

Department was chaotic, unorganized, felt several business practices were unethical, director manager was too busy to see how department was functioning. Problems within departments are not addressed until they reach a certain level of escalation.

Advice to Management

Reorganize your management teams and departments. A lot of wasted man power, re-address your recruiting/hiring process, it's too long and not cost effective. Hiring pools I feel are too ineffective for your business model.

Great Promises/Failed Delivery

Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home has huge benefits if you have kids or older parents. It also forces you to get up to speed with a lot of common technologies out there today. A typical teacher might not have much experience using 21st century tools before joining FLVS. In general, there are some ridiculously great teachers . . .

Cons

BUT teachers are often not allowed to directly adjust the course materials and rarely have time to work on better materials to help students. Using outdated courses in many areas leads to inefficiency and teacher burnout. If you want higher credit yields, fix the courses.

Advice to Management

Require teachers to pick shifts that add up to a 40 hour week instead of this living in the gray 7 days a week stuff. Require students to indicate their study times and assign students to teachers with similar schedules.

Teachers RUN like a ZOMBIE is chasing you. Stay Away from FLVS.

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home. Work from home. Work from home. Work from home. Sorry, I had to have twenty words to complete this section.

Cons

Horrific Leadership who have too much power. Work between 60-80 hours per week. Daily changes to work requirements. Unrealistic performance expectations. Employees have no voice because if you do you are FIRED. If you see a positive rating on here about FLVS, QUESTION IT as the School has employees who put in "fake" ones to counteract all the negative ones. I am only here as I have 2 ill family members who need the insurance. Stay Away and stay where you are, it cannot be worse than this.

Advice to Management

Run it like a school or run it like a business but not both. You may want to actually get some input from your teachers.

Pretty soon they will have teachers handing out flowers at airports as they give "elevator speeches".

I worked at Florida Virtual School (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home. Phony sense of belonging at first with a scary underneath.

Cons

Nonstop work replaces home life You are either one of the elite making decisions to work poor teachers to death or you are one of the grunt labor teachers who are manipulated by a company that says it is all about students but it is really all about the money. Many connected friends and family running the show.. Everyone is so fearful they did not even say goodbye via e-mail when I resigned for personal reasons. They have you do all this dancing and team building at conferences and talk about being a "family" and if you go down due to illness or don't make your numbers they all back away like you have a vile stink on you. The culture is fear

Advice to Management

Please realize your employees are people Stop talking about your "culture". You are more like a cult where teachers do all the work and the elite collect the awards off of their backs.

I have been working at Florida Virtual School

Pros

You can in a way work at your own pace.

Cons

The teachers. They call you every second of the day.

Advice to Management

Please try to get your teachers to be a little less "on top" of their students.

Incredible, Fast Paced, Room For Growth

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at FLVS you have the change to change the lives of students on a daily basis. You can learn, grow, and influence positive change. Organized teachers can spend a great deal of time impacting students on a one-on-one basis.

Cons

Disorganized teachers will have long days (this is certainly a choice).

Advice to Management

Keep looking toward the future!

You can make a difference with your students.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Allows you to teach to the needs of each student. Develop meaningful relationships with students, parents and other staff members.
    Flexible work schedule
    Team building stressed for success
    Culture is very collaborative
    Communicate with student and parents individually a lot.
    Live lessons allow you to see learning in action.
    Best teaching situation I ever had. I thrived on helping my students be successful.
    I never could reach all students at Brick and Mortar, I learned how to do that here.

Cons

You have to find work life balance with your family needs. If you team you can maintain the balance easier.
    Consistency is difficult some weeks.
    Need to be self motivated and self disciplined.
    Legislation has forced many changes in work efficiency.

Advice to Management

Make sure to be aware of the teacher class loads, it is critical to the best customer service.

10. Awesome place to work!!

Current Employee - FLVS Instructor
    Current Employee - FLVS Instructor

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time

Pros

You are able to help a student in their world. I enjoy the constant interaction with students and the flexible work schedule . If you are organized and have a heart for kids you will do very well at this place. I have worked in education for over 10 years and this has been one of my greatest experiences .
    It would very easy to get overwhelmed with this job if you aren't organized, however they have an excellent training program that teaches you how to manage the ins and outs of the job.

It's a difficult place to get a job with and they tell you everything to expect during the interview process. The pay is decent and most teachers I speak with seem to enjoy their jobs.

Cons

It can be difficult to manage the workload at times. Working from home is great but it does present it's own distractions.

Absolute WORST place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is some flexibility with hours and schedule*. Some people are friendly and helpful. Professional development options are excellent.
    *You can make your own schedule, but be prepared to work 10-12 hour days if you want to stay afloat!

Cons

This is the absolute worst place to work. At first, everyone is very nice and helpful. Good luck after being there over 3 months; that's when the claws come out. They scam you into thinking you are taking a strictly virtual teaching job and then pull the switch-a-roo and want you to go into a local school and/or be accessible via webcam (this is new since they are fighting for survival with new competitors in most counties because of new legislation). ILs (principals) care very little about your needs/concerns and HR is a joke, as I am still waiting for a return call/e-mail regarding a question. I am VERY organized and still had trouble keeping up after working 10-12 hour days! There is no Spring Break and you don't get summers off. When you do get time off, you come back to a pile of grading (which must be cleared within 48 hours of being submitted by student) so you are constantly playing catch up. And don't get me started on the calls. They constantly push "customer service", but in reality don't practice what they preach with their teachers. All they care about is numbers and completions. Education does NOT follow a business model, people. If it did, teachers (upper level management in some corps.) would easily be making 6 figures... STAY AWAY FROM THIS TRAP!