Flowserve

Mark Blinn

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Taneytown MD location - great place to work

Taneytown, MD

ProsThis is one of the best work environments I've ever been in. People are professional, but very friendly and exceptionally generous with their time to help new-comers. There's a great life/work balance that is encouraged by management. These people know their business and there's always emphasis on trying to make process improvements.

ConsThe IT infrastructure is a bit dated. The local accounting/billing software is particularly old and difficult to work with at times (not very used-friendly). The onsite IT support is outstanding, but limited. If an IT issue is one that is under the local IT support, the issues are solved quickly and completely. IT issues handled by company-wide offsite IT issues may be another matter and make time and several calls with several different IT support personnel until the issue is resolved.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give some thought to updating some of the older IT infrastructure and technology.

Safe and Stable, but Slow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Taneytown, MD

ProsThe safety culture is outstanding. All employees go through a safety training and best-practice safety techniques are used throughout the office and manufacturing plant.
    The continuous improvement culture is outstanding as well. There's a dedicated CIP black belt professional employee on-site to help ensure that the work environment is constantly getting better.
    The office employees are all very nice and friendly. I've never met such a welcoming and considerate group of people in one place.
    There are employee picnics and weekly volleyball games during the summer (after-hours of course) that help to round out the work-life balance.

ConsThe company computer management system is pretty old. The main software used to track parts and place orders (Symix) is over 20 years old I believe. It works and it's not too hard to get used to, but it shows how backdated the computer system is.
    The pumps sold by Flowserve are top of the line, which is good. But the bad thing is that engineering employees aren't focused on innovation or improving the design of the pumps (because they're essentially already as good as they can be).
    The company wifi only worked on half of the office when I was there. And one of the urinals didn't flush for close to 2 months before somebody was called in to fix it. If things aren't costing the company money or creating a safety risk, they'll probably be ignored or postponed in lieu of "more important" matters.

Advice to Senior ManagementI want to say to revamp the computer system, but I know that would be a HUGE overhaul and it would be very difficult for employees to adjust to a new system. Perhaps find a way to digitize data in spreadsheet-type databases instead of scanning whole documents into the network drives.

Not a healthy work environment

Senior Product Engineer (Former Employee)
    Taneytown, MD

ProsI enjoyed getting mechanical engineering experience in the analysis and design of centrifugal pumps. Since the engineering office is in the same building as the manufacturing plant, there are plenty of opportunities for an engineer to look at actual parts in order to understand better a pump design.

ConsFlowserve is a large company that has grown through acquisitions of smaller companies. Although the small companies are now under the Flowserve umbrella, they still function as what they used to be before they became Flowserve. This hinders collaboration between Flowserve plants because they still view each other as competitors.

Moreover Flowserve has a less than desirable work environment. Often times meetings are scheduled and the meeting organizer never shows up. This is highly unprofessional, and a red flag that something is terribly wrong.

Finally, there is a mentality of "we've always done things this way" that does not welcome engineers coming from an industry other than the pump manufacturing industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big company with a small company feel.

Machinist/Mill and CNC Operator (Current Employee)
    Taneytown, MD

ProsSalary and benefits package is top notch. The plant I work at, has a smaller shop feel, which is a comfortable working enviroment, but have the security and finances of a huge company. From tooling and inserts to protective equipment and housekeeping supplies, if you need, tell a supervisor or tool room attendant, and you will get it. This is an enviroment that is not only pleasant to work in, but makes it easy to want to to a good job, and have pride and concern in what you do.

This entire package is far and above any other machine shop I've worked in, hands down.

ConsI can't say this issue is with Flowserve, because it certainly is'nt limited to just there: but the overhead of the office workers, seems a bit much in my opinion. I certainly do not have another person running my machines at the same time I am. But that seems to be a common practice in an office atmosphere, several employees doing the same thing at the same facility at the same time. I of course have a limited scope, however, as stated, not uncommon anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf things should ever come to a job cutting scenerio- look behind desks, and not in front of a machine.

Never did job that I was hired to do. Cnc Mill programming

CNC Programmer (Former Employee)
    Taneytown, MD

ProsBenefits and pay, until the pay cut, were good and I liked the location.

ConsWas hired to for cnc mill programming, instead I was put on cylindrical grinder, turret lathe, and cnc lathe , was told I wasn't preforming well, they were going to give me a 20% pay cut. and was untrainable, all this in less that a 3 month period !! When I asked about the cnc mill I was told that they had enough people for them and I was needed on other equipment. My background with Pro E , Master cam and Edge cam , programming on v33 Makino Mills. I later found out I was not the First person to encounter this. It did work out for me as I was restated at my former job , at a higher pay rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people that have background on the jobs you have open, and put people that you do hire on the job they are hired for.

Worked for Flowserve? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Flowserve reviews and ratings in Taneytown, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Flowserve CEO Mark Blinn. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Flowserve employees.