Flowserve

Updated December 30, 2014
3.3

Flowserve CEO Mark Blinn
Mark Blinn

Pros
  • work-life balance,moderate compensation,opportunity to develop yourselves (in 7 reviews)

• Very good benefits which includes up to 5 weeks vacation per year, very traditional and strong products in strong markets (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Company pays for further education, but difficult to maintain school/work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Career development opportunities are limited (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Warranty & Repairs Supervisor in Taneytown, MD
    Current Employee - Warranty & Repairs Supervisor in Taneytown, MD

I have been working at Flowserve

Pros

Great employees and culture. Opportunities for personal and professional development. Company has great values and encourages employees to follow them.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited.

Taneytown MD location - great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taneytown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taneytown, MD

I have been working at Flowserve full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best work environments I've ever been in. People are professional, but very friendly and exceptionally generous with their time to help new-comers. There's a great life/work balance that is encouraged by management. These people know their business and there's always emphasis on trying to make process improvements.

Cons

The IT infrastructure is a bit dated. The local accounting/billing software is particularly old and difficult to work with at times (not very used-friendly). The onsite IT support is outstanding, but limited. If an IT issue is one that is under the local IT support, the issues are solved quickly and completely. IT issues handled by company-wide offsite IT issues may be another matter and make time and several calls with several different IT support personnel until the issue is resolved.

Please give some thought to updating some of the older IT infrastructure and technology.

Not a healthy work environment

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Taneytown, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Taneytown, MD

I worked at Flowserve full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed getting mechanical engineering experience in the analysis and design of centrifugal pumps. Since the engineering office is in the same building as the manufacturing plant, there are plenty of opportunities for an engineer to look at actual parts in order to understand better a pump design.

Cons

Flowserve is a large company that has grown through acquisitions of smaller companies. Although the small companies are now under the Flowserve umbrella, they still function as what they used to be before they became Flowserve. This hinders collaboration between Flowserve plants because they still view each other as competitors.

Moreover Flowserve has a less than desirable work environment. Often times meetings are scheduled and the meeting organizer never shows up. This is highly unprofessional, and a red flag that something is terribly wrong.

Finally, there is a mentality of "we've always done things this way" that does not welcome engineers coming from an industry other than the pump manufacturing industry.

Lead by example.

Safe and Stable, but Slow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taneytown, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taneytown, MD

I worked at Flowserve as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The safety culture is outstanding. All employees go through a safety training and best-practice safety techniques are used throughout the office and manufacturing plant.
    The continuous improvement culture is outstanding as well. There's a dedicated CIP black belt professional employee on-site to help ensure that the work environment is constantly getting better.
    The office employees are all very nice and friendly. I've never met such a welcoming and considerate group of people in one place.
    There are employee picnics and weekly volleyball games during the summer (after-hours of course) that help to round out the work-life balance.

Cons

The company computer management system is pretty old. The main software used to track parts and place orders (Symix) is over 20 years old I believe. It works and it's not too hard to get used to, but it shows how backdated the computer system is.
    The pumps sold by Flowserve are top of the line, which is good. But the bad thing is that engineering employees aren't focused on innovation or improving the design of the pumps (because they're essentially already as good as they can be).
    The company wifi only worked on half of the office when I was there. And one of the urinals didn't flush for close to 2 months before somebody was called in to fix it. If things aren't costing the company money or creating a safety risk, they'll probably be ignored or postponed in lieu of "more important" matters.

I want to say to revamp the computer system, but I know that would be a HUGE overhaul and it would be very difficult for employees to adjust to a new system. Perhaps find a way to digitize data in spreadsheet-type databases instead of scanning whole documents into the network drives.

Big company with a small company feel.

Current Employee - Machinist/Mill and CNC Operator in Taneytown, MD
    Current Employee - Machinist/Mill and CNC Operator in Taneytown, MD

I have been working at Flowserve

Pros

Salary and benefits package is top notch. The plant I work at, has a smaller shop feel, which is a comfortable working enviroment, but have the security and finances of a huge company. From tooling and inserts to protective equipment and housekeeping supplies, if you need, tell a supervisor or tool room attendant, and you will get it. This is an enviroment that is not only pleasant to work in, but makes it easy to want to to a good job, and have pride and concern in what you do.

This entire package is far and above any other machine shop I've worked in, hands down.

Cons

I can't say this issue is with Flowserve, because it certainly is'nt limited to just there: but the overhead of the office workers, seems a bit much in my opinion. I certainly do not have another person running my machines at the same time I am. But that seems to be a common practice in an office atmosphere, several employees doing the same thing at the same facility at the same time. I of course have a limited scope, however, as stated, not uncommon anywhere.

If things should ever come to a job cutting scenerio- look behind desks, and not in front of a machine.

Never did job that I was hired to do. Cnc Mill programming

Former Employee - CNC Programmer in Taneytown, MD
    Former Employee - CNC Programmer in Taneytown, MD

I worked at Flowserve

Pros

Benefits and pay, until the pay cut, were good and I liked the location.

Cons

Was hired to for cnc mill programming, instead I was put on cylindrical grinder, turret lathe, and cnc lathe , was told I wasn't preforming well, they were going to give me a 20% pay cut. and was untrainable, all this in less that a 3 month period !! When I asked about the cnc mill I was told that they had enough people for them and I was needed on other equipment. My background with Pro E , Master cam and Edge cam , programming on v33 Makino Mills. I later found out I was not the First person to encounter this. It did work out for me as I was restated at my former job , at a higher pay rate.

Hire people that have background on the jobs you have open, and put people that you do hire on the job they are hired for.