Fluke Corporation

Updated November 2, 2014
Updated November 2, 2014
2.9

Wes Pringle

Pros
  • DBS (Danaher Business System) teaches you about Lean Processes, and there is flexbility with change and constant adaptation (in 4 reviews)

• As a Danaher company, Fluke uses the Danaher Business System (DBS), which is an offshoot of the Toyota Production System (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance is many departments is non-existent (in 9 reviews)

• Stock performance is impressive and the Danaher Business System is only partly responsbile for the company's success (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Good place to learn business operations

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time

Pros

Great place to learn business operations using DBS/TPS/Lean. Respected products and brand. Smart/collaborative co-workers. Clear roles. Fast pace. Not very political - results driven. Good multi-national structure.

Cons

Big numbers promised to parent each quarter (DHR). Older technology/industry. Shortage of resources. Little investment in employee development/morale. Aging facility/workspaces.

Figure out how to make your numbers and still have an engaged and motivated workforce.

It's been a great company but changing rapidly – and not for the better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Deep pool of talented, enthusiastic, committed people who want to belong to a successful company for the long term.

Cons

Work life balance. Lack of R&D investment. Outsourcing engineering and manufacturing. Prioritization of cost over quality. Retention becoming a problem. Talent not replaced.

Invest in organic growth. The 'best team' is won by the best management team.

Wrings the life out of you. Execs turn blind eye to blatant Management issues.

Current Employee - Marketing in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is slightly better than unemployment.

Cons

Inexperienced Director level employees have no clue what is going on. Long hours for salaried employees while upper levels take credit for work.HR is useless and has their own agenda which is dictated by the abusers in power. All management with any experience or compassion have left the company over the last 3 years since the inept management was hired. Company benefits slowly decreased to bare minimums.

Clean house from the highest levels, reward the employees pulling the weight of the company to keep the talent happy.

Lean Manufacturing

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company was built on strong values that included work life balance. Those original values have lasted through the years.

Cons

The values that made the company what it is can lost when the focus is on lean manufacturing.

Listen to what employees want in terms of life/work balance.

A Struggle

Current Employee - Team Lead in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are always able to make changes to your work environment if their is a problem.

Cons

There is not enough time provided to make the necessary changes. Pay structure and some of the policies need to be reevaluated. Annual revues only matter when it is that time of year - you essentially are just going through the motions.

Go to gemba.

Tough sink or swim culture.

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time

Pros

Autonomy, Implement change, Lean manufacturing

Cons

HR, Human resources, Work force management, Few truly happy employees.

Quit skimping out on human resources. Manufacturing teams suffering due to lack of support. There are only two manufacturing engineers to handle the problems of the most accurate pressure and temperature calibration units in the world! 2 engineers per factory! Get real if you want things to be done well, invest human resources.

If you like change, this is the place for you

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Everett, WA

I worked at Fluke Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent opportunities for career movement if you are open to relocation, benefits are okay, compensation is fairly competitive.

Cons

Very few development or learning opportunities beyond the usual Danaher Business System courses. Little recognition - not a very appreciative culture. Work / Life balance is many departments is non-existent.

Upper management needs to set the tone for appreciation, work-life balance, taking risks to be innovative. Focus less on process and reporting to DHR Corporate, and more on the customer and your employees.

Senior Technician and Supervisor

Former Employee - Senior Technician and Supervisor in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Technician and Supervisor in Everett, WA

I worked at Fluke Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Highly qualified technical personnel and extremely hard working people

Cons

Very little work/life balance. I was sucked into a supervisory position and promised I would be ahead of any technician within 2 years. That never happened and I supervised technicians that made far more than I did on overtime. e ended up taking pay cuts and furlough days towards the end and I left because I saw the writing on the wall. Danaher will burn people out as fast as they can and just replace once they're burnt out.

Have enough personnel to have backups when people are on vacation or sick. Fluke was acquired by Danaher. Since the acquisition by Danaher, employee morale has been destroyed. The only reason most people stay there is because it is such a nice area to live in. Otherwise, their turnover would be incredible.

Making a difference

I have been working at Fluke Corporation

Pros

I have been at Fluke for almost four years now. If you are interested in metrology, Fluke is arguably the best company in the world for this. We routinely interface with the best calibration laboratories in the world, who look to Fluke for answers on the most accurate measurements. Fluke continues to grow and they value promoting internally, but also understand to stay on top of the technology that they need to recruit people with up-to-date technical expertise. Some of the new technologies being developed such as Fluke Connect are going to significantly impact the industry and really pushes Fluke out ahead of the competition. One of the things that I found refreshing is that politics plays a very small role in the day to day management and that the best ideas, no matter where they come from are the solutions that are implemented.

Cons

not really cons to me, but there is certainly a strong culture of hard work and doing what it takes to accomplish the task. If you do not believe in lean manufacturing principles, then you probably need to look elsewhere as it is nearly a religion here.

Top management could benefit by a more time at gemba, getting on to the floor with people doing their daily work.

Fluke Corporation Response

Jun 13, 2014Human Resources

Thanks! We really work hard to make our Metrology Lab - World Class.

Great place to learn, not a great place to work.

Current Employee - Master Scheduler in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Master Scheduler in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is a great place to learn when it comes to supply chain and operations. There are a ton of growth opportunities available within the company.

Cons

All the operations talent has left the company, the operations group is so short staffed management is asking people to take on 2 and 3 people’s responsibilities. There is no sense of urgency to back fill any of the vacant roles which is causing people to burn out and hate working for the company, which contributes to everyone’s attitudes at work. The pay scale is not equivalent to the job market or the amount of work people are being asked to do.

Fluke Corporation Response

Jun 13, 2014Human Resources

We have hired some super Operations talent within the last year!