Fluke Networks

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Arif Kareem

Pros:
  • "3 weeks vacation, work / life balance, casual atmosphere, great co-workers"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Salary, sometimes challenging tasks, some great people (not all), flexible work conditions"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "The continual push to minimize waste and maximize productivity often threatens the job security of lower level employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "upper management "out of touch""
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad Decission of my life

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsDecent Sallary Structure compare to others

ConsAwful Work environment, you will be assign your tasks by manager although you are working with other people you will probably never know what they are doing. As manager will try to deal with you both separately and try to create a competition between you and your peers so he can monitor people easily. Zero team communication and collaboration on anything. Team member do not trust each other they basically compete with each other..

Software Engineering practices are from dinosaur age. I am not sure even some people has any sort of Software development degree. So how they get job, i figured they look alike with some top management people. I have seen managers are using high frequency term like (Agile, Scrum) but do not have any understanding of real concept. Technologically way bellow Silicon Valley standard.

Zero career improvement. You will work with same old technology with rest of your life. I have seen people working with same product last five six years and still fixing bugs and waiting for their retirement.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange managers/midmanagement they are useless.

Man The Lifeboats!

Product Developer (Former Employee)

ProsThe pre Danaher employees are honest and diligent.
    You can leverage your experience into a better paying job somewhere else.
    If you enjoy brown-nosing you can become a star.
    You will learn to endure layoffs.

ConsCompensation is poor because the annual review process makes sure no one gets a decent raise.
    Equity awards don’t exist.
    Engineers who do all the work get the same bonus as factory workers.
    Smart and productive people leave or are pushed aside.
    The current “leaders” know squat about the business.

Imagine a boat caught in a cyclone. It is listing and leaking. The officers are hiding below deck trying to figure out their plan by playing “Battleship.” That’s what Fluke Networks is like.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Danaher. You imposed supremely inept leadership on this company so results and morale are dismal. Unless you clean out the management deadwood you will get plenty more of the same.

Some of the best -- and hardest -- work of my life.

ProsThe Danaher Business System is something to be admired and mastered. Ruthlessly keeps teams focused on results and chisels away at waste. The monthly management approach is employed and all departments; and has brought new levels of discipline to the associates in the marketing organization. My department has eliminated more than $250K in spending waste last year just by paying attention to the detail.

ConsThis is not a place for the faint of heart. It is a tough environment if you are a) not growing fast enough or b) contributing enough to the DHR bottom line. You are constantly challenged to do more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the big picture for driving growth; and make the hard calls.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You can't give less then one star...or I would

Sales (Current Employee)

Prosthinking...thinking really hard. Got one--it is a pretty stable job. As long as you are meeting your activity metrics they probably won't get rid of you. Unless you happen to be in the Thanksgiving layoffs.

ConsI would suggest reading the reviews here--they are pretty accurate. The one thing I would add is that in the sales group they have taken away a lot of deals from the correct sales rep throughout the organization. There are many many many examples throughout the organization of deals or part of deals being taken away from the rep that worked the deal and given to the rep the boss likes or who they need to have better numbers. Also, there are very few promotion paths within Fluke Networks. If you have aspirations of moving up the ladder, try looking for a place that actually has a ladder and promotes from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour top performers are beginning to leave. You are taking away people's motivation to do their jobs. If you continue to take credit away from the reps that deserve it you will end up not having anyone that is able to produce the numbers you need.

Career Stopper

ProsA good place to work IF you don't have a life

ConsEveryone works in their own "world", nobody listens to staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your ears and eyes to the needs of your employees!

Bosses do not like different opinion

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsA good place to work if you do not know anything. You will be an asset if you do not have industry knowledge. You will be a leader if you know good politics rather engineering.

Consmicromanagement micromanagement and micromanagement. Which is kind of good if you are super genius . Engineers are suppose to agree with managers no matter what. Seriously out of touch with current industry trend. Its a very good example why some company die. Some people working their for long time and interestingly they know each other long before then. Seriously!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed serious cleanup

Several years at Fluke. Okay so far.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe people make all the difference. Higher percentage of good decent workers/managers than most companies I have worked for.

ConsLayoffs happen all too often. Usually unexpected and wider reaching than they should be. I didn't notice too many managers getting let go in the last round...

A Difficult but Rewarding Place to Work

Area Vice President (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThere is no doubt that working for a Danaher company is professionally challenging. The company culture is continuous improvement. There is a constant effort to eliminate waste and inefficiency. Every aspect of a portfolio company's operating plan is reviewed each month, with course corrections applied as standard operating procedure. The company culture is anathema to those seeking a vanilla 40-hour week, or the know-it-all that thinks they're smarter than the collective intelligence of a Kaizen Team.

Danaher is a place where innovative thinking, teamwork, and performance are rewarded. Those that embrace the Danaher Business System concept will thrive. A collegiality develops among those who commit to the process orientation, and job satisfaction peaks. Every employee is expected to perform as though his or her job is the most important, and to strive to accept accountability for the quality, value, and cost of their contribution.

Danaher is a great place to learn, even for those with 20+ years of experience. Mastering DBS concepts opens many doors, both within the Danaher family and out. DBS expertise is highly valued. It really is up to the Associate to determine the level of effort that he or she is willing to invest in their career.

The company values intellect, work ethic, and leadership skills. A Masters Degree never hurts, but it is not a substitute for DBS proficiency or a track record of performance. It's a cop out to blame a failure to advance solely on the lack of an advanced degree. I've been at a Danaher company for two years, do not have an MBA, but have been promoted to Area Vice President nonetheless.

ConsWorking at a Danaher company is hard, It is unlike anything most people have experienced in their careers. The continual push to minimize waste and maximize productivity often threatens the job security of lower level employees. This reality is exacerbated by a corporate growth strategy that is driven by acquisition. Trimming the fat is always a key element of assimilation. Negative fallout is a natural byproduct. As a rule, it's never good to be the acquired. There is a reason why the acquired company is not able to be an acquirer.

Employees that are not career-driven, or who lack the social or political savvy to chart an advancement path can feel unappreciated. Danaher rewards performance. Coddling the uninitiated is not part of the company DNA. I don't personally object to this posture, but it is in conflict with those that expect to just do their job and go home.

Advice to Senior ManagementI''d like to see Danaher do a better job of on-boarding new employees and training management how to indoctrinate line employees in the company culture.

They are more focus on acquiring new startup company to extent the business.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsSome products are leading the market, you can see some real development in network area.

ConsThere are no much long term plan and strategies, it is under pressure of earning the market directly. They are more focus on acquiring new startup company to extent the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany should make long-term plan and strategies, training the customer and technical team.

A Nation of Yes-Men

Programmer (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsA good career hiding place for has-beens from Danaher and beyond. Absence of industry knowledge is an asset. Lacking common sense appears to increase the odds of a promotion. Ask simplistic questions and agree with your boss: you will succeed.

ConsFor 3 years the company has had no leadership. It relies on comical administrators that do pretend management using powerpoint, spreadsheets and quotes from books. Innovation is discouraged so engineers have to ride the trailing edge of technology. Productive people are targeted in layoffs. Morale is in the tank.

Advice to Senior ManagementA new broom sweeps clean

Worked for Fluke Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fluke Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fluke Networks CEO Arif Kareem. All 73 reviews posted anonymously by Fluke Networks employees.