Fluke Networks

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

Arif Kareem

Pros
  • Good work-life balance most of the time (in 6 reviews)

• Decent benefits and company car for sales and sales management (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The continual push to minimize waste and maximize productivity often threatens the job security of lower level employees (in 5 reviews)

• upper management "out of touch" (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Dead man walking

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Fluke Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a fine coffee and sandwich shop down the street if you don’t mind dodging traffic. Plenty of free parking.

Cons

The parent company won’t invest a dime in Fluke Networks so everything is done on the cheap. The business is dying and the relentless, petty cost-cutting has ugly impacts on every employee.

Innovation doesn’t exist. There is lots of penny-ante politics being played. If you think Apple or Google are good working environments, go there. Do not come here.

The people running this company are simply hopeless. There is no trust among the employees for “L1.” Management communication is drivel or misrepresentation.

The employees understand that window-dressing, like posting jobs that won’t be filled, is necessary. But this campaign to post scripted positive reviews to game the ratings is tawdry and unprofessional. Show a little self-respect.

Update from previous post - refreshing life experience after leaving FNET

Former Employee - Marketing in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Everett, WA

I worked at Fluke Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have posted a review here before. But want to provide an update.
    I have never thought there was a true positive coming from my experience with FNET. Now half a year later, after I joined another widely successful company and get a promotion just now, I admit the experience I gained at FNET allow me to contrast the 2 styles much better: company successful at driving innovation and monetize it vs. company still living in the old days trying to squeeze every penny out of their dwindling business. Worst yet, management will paint you a 5 year plan of tripling the business rev. but is nothing more than empty promise. Don't blame them for trying hard to drive morale, but sometime it just show how incompontent the VP/GM levels are.

Cons

Be honest to yourself and your employee. If you are a organization trying to squeeze every penny out of Ops and manufacturing to make margin, admit it. Trying to fool yourself and senior management by keep repeating 1) FNET has a good brand 2) hence, we should charge an arm and leg of customers 3) build a nice business case to get funding 4) do problem solving report because you aren't selling much. It is not how you can sustain your business other than to keep your bonus.

And agreed with another poster, please don't let HR-bot keep posting those meaningless positive company review. It is very mis-leading.

The company will survive well, as they are in some mature business sector with little competent competitors. So the business is always going to be there. So again, don't try to paint a picture otherwise. Get the right people to do the right job. I am trying to be honest here and hope people looking for job at FNET will be misled.

Fluke

Former Employee - Assembler in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Everett, WA

I worked at Fluke Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, everyone was very caring and understanding.

Cons

No cons that I can think of besides the low moisture setting in the building, but that is for the safety of the electronics.

Relaxed Company, Growing FAST and very innovative with their products

I have been working at Fluke Networks

Pros

Fairly good pay and benefits, High learning curve, and constantly creating new products

Cons

Management structure sometimes is not always on the same page.

The most vacuous place on earth

I have been working at Fluke Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no “Pros” (as in positives) at Fluke Networks. The “Pros” (as in professionals) are fleeing Fluke Networks.

Cons

This is the worst company I ever had the misfortune to work for. It opened up eyes that there could be such a disaster in the capitalist world.

The misfortunes of this company are well documented: attrition, layoffs, rotting sales, bronze age products, cut budgets, poor hiring, etc.

The positive comments are coming from trolls in the HR department. So lack of ethics is another Con.

Quality of management: the less said the better.

Lots of insecurity. With no direction everyone wonders if they will have a job next year.

If you have an overdue mortgage, if your spouse left you, if you want to commit intellectual or professional suicide, then welcome to Fluke Networks!

Resign. Today.

Bad today, worse tomorrow

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

5PM on Friday is the best thing about Fluke Networks since you get to leave and not think about the dysfunction for 48 hours.
    The medical plan covers anti-depressants.

Cons

Senior “leadership” is deadwood: Danaher castoffs and a no-op president.
    They do rope-a-dope management and encourage butt kissing--- anything to protect their paychecks.
    The company is in the backwater of technology with no clue for the future and no hope of getting one.
    More layoffs and more budget cuts are guaranteed.

This company will be over the cliff without major changes. Change begins by hiring competent people at the top, not by laying off secretaries and engineers. Do you have the business sense and fortitude to do what is needed?

Finance controlled company on all levels

I worked at Fluke Networks

Pros

Decent benefits and company car for sales and sales management.

Cons

Sales compensation is heavily financed controlled even for the 'over-achievers'.

More marketing dollars needed on all products.

Excellent

Current Employee - Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

3 weeks vacation, work / life balance, casual atmosphere, great co-workers.

Cons

sometimes the goals for the company are unrealistic, which can cause some friction and hurt morale.

Biggest Mistake of my Career

Current Employee - Field Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Field Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Fluke Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, company car for sales staff. Very talented engineers that take pride in their work. Excellent brand equity for the cooper and fiber test equipment.

Cons

Poorest leadership team I've ever worked with. The President has lost half of his direct reports over the past two years. There has been a mass exodus of talent, both in business unit leadership as well as the marketing organization. As a Danaher company, the entire focus is operating profit, which comes at the cost of innovation. The company is also penny wish and pound foolish; eliminating marketing expense and sacrificing demand creation to bolster OP. Worse, the company has no identity, no focus. It has multiple, unrelated product groups, each with separate distribution channels. Perhaps most damning, the executives lack integrity. A toxic culture of finger pointing and indictment of sales for the inability to overcome poor executive decisions has polluted company morale.

The President is universally disrespected throughout the organization. It's time to retire.

Steer Clear

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Everett, WA

I have been working at Fluke Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

10 years ago I could have put lots of things here. Today? Nothing, zip, zilch, nada and the null set.

Cons

Ethics don’t exist. Business acumen is AWOL. Creativity is verboten. Micromismanagement is the norm. Leadership is comical. Layoffs happen like clockwork. Morale couldn’t be lower. The building is a dungeon. The outlook is grim.

Danaher parrots a core value called “Best team wins.” At Fluke Networks that core value is “Worst management survives.” Why have we been saddled with such putrid leadership for so many years?