Fluor

Fluor Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton

David T. Seaton

Pros:
  • "9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Good Benefits and excellent pay"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Large company with cyclic layoffs"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

do not practice what they preach

Design Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe company does a good job but overall spends way to much money

ConsHouston office is the worst, too many clicks at work , I mean it. if you are not part of it, better to just leave, have to butter up the bosses to succeed, many consider that normal these days. office conditions worst ever. lined up like phone operators with no privacy. stupid idea to save money, when they waste so much on other things

Advice to Senior Managementact like managers, do something besides just get along.

Boring place to work, stuck in old ways and mindset

Sugar Land, TX

ProsLarge company, strong emphasis on procedures and practices, if you are in the right network, it can be very lucrative.

ConsExtremely old school, run by people who grew up in 1950's and still think computers are the root cause of many inefficiencies.
    One example is that they still block you from accessing gmail from work. Which is in fact counter productive. Coz almost everyone now has smart phones so people use their mobile devices to surf, which actually takes longer, so if the management was smarter then would actually modify the IT policies.
    Also, there is no importance on real tech advancement, they tried developing an inhouse social network, to keep people engaged, but the systems are so antiquated that everything runs at a glacial pace.
    Fluor was one of the biggest companies lobbying to Microsoft to keep XP alive, even after Microsoft stopped support.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make relevant changes, just getting an inhouse social network doesnt make Fluor cool, you need to change at a much deeper level.

Career opportunities

Houston, TX

ProsFluor is a very big company but there are opportunities to make a career at Fluor for one willing to put in the extra effort. Good training, varied projects and assignments. Oversees assignments also available if you let it known you are interested. Benefits are good - especially the TOWP (time off with pay). Generous TOWP and you get to keep it and roll over each year whatever is not used.

ConsNegatives are also a result of being big. You must network with lots of people and get to know the management. Volunteer for assignments, charity events, etc. Opportunities sometimes require one being in the right place at the right time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on mid level employees who have 10-20 years at Fluor. They still have plenty of time to contribute and know more about managing than the 5-10 year young employees who are being shoved through to management positions before they are ready.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Cost Accountant (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

Prosadvancement opportunities and global presence

Conswill travel constantly but this is good for breaking every day monotony

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Material Specialist, Senior

Greenville, SC

ProsI worked with a wide range of professional and knowledgeable personnel. Fluor does not silo someone along a strict career path.

ConsWhen my project started on the downsizing phase, I would have liked more transition support.

New Grad Experience

Associate Design Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros- Plenty of Lunch&Learns
    - Lots of Training
    - Good Environment

Cons- Depending on which project you are on you can experience slowness

Advice to Senior Management- keep doing what your doing

Great company to work for!

GIS Technician (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat work environment! I liked many cultural get together events and competitions. Many people from around the world, very interesting to work there!

ConsWhen the project is over, your employment is over too.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up a good job!

I was amazed.

Operations (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGlobal name brand upon which to grow the business. Many people in place that are poised to perform; all that is needed is some organized direction.

ConsThere is a desperate need for senior management having real experience. Many meetings, initiatives and plane flights with little substance of effective management.

Advice to Senior ManagementASAP, acquire people to fill key positions whom have real experience, not just time in the industry spent watching others work. There is a desperate need for people who have the ability and willingness to 'get their hands dirty'.

It was a (large) paycheck FGG

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery large paycheck. If you love the military hierarchy, you will love this company!

ConsWork/life balance? 12 hour days, seven days a week, 45 minutes to vet to work, 45 minutes to get back from work, no paid lunch = ~8 hours a day to shower, sleep, eat, anything else you need to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually stand up for your employees that come to you with issues

Overly Structured

ProsGood People work here, senior management doesn't listen to them.

ConsWe've been doing it this way for years, we're not going to change now.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the diverse talent you have hired to give you insight to what needs to change.

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fluor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fluor CEO David T. Seaton . All 386 reviews posted anonymously by Fluor employees.