Fluor

Fluor Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton

David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect(in 15 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management(in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs(in 10 reviews)

Best EPC company

ProsMost employees has good behavior & real professional

ConsMedical benefits and 401K company matching is not as good as before

Small offices suffer from turnover and poor management.

Associate Design Engineer (Former Employee) Dublin, CA

ProsFluor only works on big projects, so you may be working on very interesting, complicated projects that have a TIC in the billions. Their internal website/forum: KOL is very useful and used by many employees.

ConsSmaller offices suffer from little training, people development than the large campuses like Greenville, Houston, Irving, etc...
    The smaller offices generally have weak management. It's not necessarily the managers' fault but most of the managers are just very senior engineers with little training or interest in leading their groups.

Training opportunities at the smaller offices are few as you are usually always working 100% on projects. If you aren't on a job, you aren't considered profitable for the company.

Health care premiums, are covered at a lower percentage versus other companies.

Poor communication within the company

Analyst (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsThe leadership is a mix of those who know and those who are in the know.

ConsWork life balance is okay but sometimes expectations are not communicated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Material Specialist, Senior

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsI worked with a wide range of professional and knowledgeable personnel. Fluor does not silo someone along a strict career path.

ConsWhen my project started on the downsizing phase, I would have liked more transition support.

Career opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFluor is a very big company but there are opportunities to make a career at Fluor for one willing to put in the extra effort. Good training, varied projects and assignments. Oversees assignments also available if you let it known you are interested. Benefits are good - especially the TOWP (time off with pay). Generous TOWP and you get to keep it and roll over each year whatever is not used.

ConsNegatives are also a result of being big. You must network with lots of people and get to know the management. Volunteer for assignments, charity events, etc. Opportunities sometimes require one being in the right place at the right time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on mid level employees who have 10-20 years at Fluor. They still have plenty of time to contribute and know more about managing than the 5-10 year young employees who are being shoved through to management positions before they are ready.

Good company to work for

Cost Accountant (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

Prosadvancement opportunities and global presence

Conswill travel constantly but this is good for breaking every day monotony

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

New Grad Experience

Associate Design Engineer II (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros- Plenty of Lunch&Learns
    - Lots of Training
    - Good Environment

Cons- Depending on which project you are on you can experience slowness

Advice to Senior Management- keep doing what your doing

I was amazed.

Operations (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGlobal name brand upon which to grow the business. Many people in place that are poised to perform; all that is needed is some organized direction.

ConsThere is a desperate need for senior management having real experience. Many meetings, initiatives and plane flights with little substance of effective management.

Advice to Senior ManagementASAP, acquire people to fill key positions whom have real experience, not just time in the industry spent watching others work. There is a desperate need for people who have the ability and willingness to 'get their hands dirty'.

It was a (large) paycheck FGG

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery large paycheck. If you love the military hierarchy, you will love this company!

ConsWork/life balance? 12 hour days, seven days a week, 45 minutes to vet to work, 45 minutes to get back from work, no paid lunch = ~8 hours a day to shower, sleep, eat, anything else you need to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually stand up for your employees that come to you with issues

Boring place to work, stuck in old ways and mindset

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsLarge company, strong emphasis on procedures and practices, if you are in the right network, it can be very lucrative.

ConsExtremely old school, run by people who grew up in 1950's and still think computers are the root cause of many inefficiencies.
    One example is that they still block you from accessing gmail from work. Which is in fact counter productive. Coz almost everyone now has smart phones so people use their mobile devices to surf, which actually takes longer, so if the management was smarter then would actually modify the IT policies.
    Also, there is no importance on real tech advancement, they tried developing an inhouse social network, to keep people engaged, but the systems are so antiquated that everything runs at a glacial pace.
    Fluor was one of the biggest companies lobbying to Microsoft to keep XP alive, even after Microsoft stopped support.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make relevant changes, just getting an inhouse social network doesnt make Fluor cool, you need to change at a much deeper level.

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!