Fluor

Fluor Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton

David T. Seaton

Pros:
  • "9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Good Benefits and excellent pay"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Large company with cyclic layoffs"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful place to work. Great corporate culture. Very ethical company.

ProsMany types of opportunities within the various business units. Great processes and procedures that are constantly being improved. Much training is offered.

ConsNeed to be willing to move or relocate in order to work in the field.

Great Place To Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Co-workers, Fun environment, nice office.

ConsLong hours, incompetent leaders, long commute.

Great People

Prosthey were very forthcoming about the position and what you do. I really liked how the position they were hiring for was not the only one they told me about

Consnone at the moment. They were very kind and I am hoping I get the chance to work with them some day

Advice to Senior Managementlet the interviewed person as more questions

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been an overall good experience

ProsGood place to get your initial experience in the workforce

ConsLimited growth opportunities and limited communication from management to staff

Advice to Senior ManagementTie pay and promotions to objective performance criteria

Excellent

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat Management and opportunities. Great Staff

ConsNone. No complaints. Have many great memories at Fluor

Great place to work for.

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsAccomodating to family needs. Very flexible. Great people to work with. Great TOWP once you accumulate it. I was able to work from Full-time to Part-time.

ConsDepending on how the economy situation, raises was not good. However, other years when I began with Fluor, it was great.

Advice to Senior ManagementNONE

The Largest Eng.'ing & Const. Co. which assigned me to many different projects over the past 8 years as a Sr. Engineer.

Senior Mechanical Engineer/Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Greenville, SC

Pros-Career Growth,
    -High Income,
    -Clear set of standards and procedures for performing most tasks, Knowledge on Line access for all Engineers (100 years of project experiences and lessons learned shared by all company engineers as a learning tool.)
    -Diversity of experience
    -Challenging
    -Professional
    -Ethical
    -Established

Cons-100% of the time on project, on the road. (No travel home to speak of)
    -Performs more Project over sight managing contractors rather then Self Perform (In the last 2 years Fluor has been moving away from self perform)
    -You are a number and not a person. If not billing hours you are non-existent.
    -No effort on Fluor's part, to transition most employees from project to project. Therefore, if you don't know the right person or persons, you will have large amounts of time between projects without billing hours and loosing income. After 5 weeks "On the Bench" you loose your benefits.
    -Below par home office support for projects in the field they are supporting.
    -Engineers in supporting home office locations have lost their since of Customer Service. Many home office employees do not have the drive or desire to spend extra effort support projects in the field.
    -Several projects have required me to not only perform Project Management and/or Construction Management duties as well as Field Engineering duties but also Design Engineering with Drawings when an under bid project runs out of design engineering hours and the project is approximately 85% complete.
    -Recently the RFI (Request for Information) questions submitted by contactors and/or clients are increasing in numbers and taking much to long to complete.

Advice to Senior Management-Clearly develop KPI's (Key Performance Indicators) for the plant production, Downtime, Project Management, etc... so that performance is always on everyone's mind and it is obvious weather we are improving, or not improving or weather a project is on schedule and under budget.
    -Utilize all the tools available today to manage whatever is being managed and that the track the team is on is in line with corporate goals.
    -Clearly Communicate
    -Listen and ask questions for conformation of understanding
    -Utilize Leading and Lagging Indicators so as to stay ahead of problems and to verify that corrective actions are having the expected results.
    -Involve the right people on projects needing detailed coordination and planning so as not to impact production and to insure successful projects.
    -Provide proper feedback to team members so as to help generate lessons learned and constant improvement
    -Time Management should be a priority everyday.
    -Develop an agreed upon SOW (Scope of Work) for projects and manage any scope creep using change order management
    -Document daily, weekly, and Monthly progress being sure to point out milestones achieved, issues standing in the way of progress, etc...

I worked as a Treasury Analyst Intern.

Treasury Analyst Intern (Former Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsThey have great benefits, even for full time interns. They also pay their interns which is great!

ConsFluor has a strict hierarchy that can make it difficult to communicate with senior management.

Great Company. Bring your Passport.

Construction Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsLots of Travel- international assignments usually include lucrative compensation packages

ConsLots of Travel- not so much personal time to foster relationships outside of work

Advice to Senior ManagementThese guys have been building plants all over the world for 100 years; they don't need my advice.

Process Director for 8 years.

Process Director (Current Employee)
    Sugar Land, TX

ProsThe only reason to work for Fluor is for the compensation

ConsThe work environment is all very small cubicles the size of a small closet in a hallway. This is even the case for managers and consultants. There is no distinction. The other aspect is that they swing between massive 40% plus layoffs followed a few years later by gigantic hiring. It is common for they to make you stay at home without pay if there isn't a contract to charge to. If you are over the age of 50 you have no career path. All of the emphasis is on the younger workers. The younger people must realize that there is no career path after around 45.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about who the important knowledge workers are and give them a professional environment. Not a desk in the hallway.

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fluor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fluor CEO David T. Seaton . All 385 reviews posted anonymously by Fluor employees.