Fluor

Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 19 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working for this company, got to meet people from all over the world .

Former Employee - HVAC Mechcanic in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - HVAC Mechcanic in Austin, TX

I worked at Fluor

Pros

A lot of my co-workers and friends got a chance to work with very updated equipment. The job challenge was all ways very intense at times.

Cons

Safety was the top priority in the work place at all times .

The managers were all ways on their toes . Ready to answer any questions about your job or any thing that you had problems with.

About as good as EPC gets

Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Design Engineer III in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Exciting projects
    2) Good compensation
    3) People are nice
    4) Good focus on work-life balance
    5) 9/80 work hours and straight overtime pay for direct hires

Cons

1) Company has lost its edge on employee development
    2) Hard to move up without being highly political
    3) No bonuses for most employees

Focus a lot more on Talent Development. Reward your employees' hard work more often.

The Best of the Best

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Fluor is the best place to learn and grow to your full potential. The training opportunities are abundant and the ability to move up is available to the employee. If you work hard and have a good attitude good things will happen for you. Great benefits and work life balance. The company is consistently reinventing itself to remain competitive and gain market share. Strongest core values you will find in any industry.

Cons

Occasionally the business can be impacted by the cycles in the economy but if you are a good employee they will keep you. Especially if you are willing to travel to stay employed.

Find a way to make us a household name again. I don't like it when I tell people where I work and they have never heard of us.

Fluor is a world class EPC company that provides employees with exceptional experience and opportunities to move between industries and functions.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Fluor provides exceptional training, cross-functional experience, diverse client portfolio, top class technical teams. Many Fluor employees have celebrated over 30 years of service to the company.

Cons

Fluor is a large organization, one of the largest EPCM companies in the world. With this, it is not as agile as some smaller competitors, and innovation and change can be harder to achieve.

Decent pay, good benefits

I worked at Fluor

Pros

The pay, benefits, retirement, and TOWP are great.

Cons

lack of training and management support

Great place to work!!

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Good people, great location, good mix of everything

Cons

Some of the procedures can duplicate and cause double work.

Overall good experience. Currently working with Fluor. Approx 7 years.

Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good career opportunities. Good work life balance and compensation.

Cons

Have to find your own way up. Not very easy to advance in your career after certain time.

Women welcome IF young, attractive and "docile"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no goods outweighed by the bad. There are a few really good people, but they are muffled by the good ole boys

Cons

Let's see - where should I begin? I was physically and verbally assaulted, harassed, and degraded due to my gender. I was told to wear "attractive clothes" even though I was in a field role, and criticized for my weight.

A young woman in charge of one department's intranet - who spends an inordinate amount of company time in the gym, wears tight, revealing clothes, bats her eyes and flirts, yet has no education or experience - was put in a corner office while others with much more education, experience and tenure with the company were relegated to the cube farm to take orders from her highness. It was obvious why she was put in the position she was in.

Many men and woman are in positions they are neither qualified or capable for simply because they know the right egos to stroke.

Complaining to HR only put me on the short list out the door as a potential trouble maker and litigant.

I wish I could say it was one department or SBU but it was all of them. I was NEVER allowed to work in oil and gas and was only given the no overtime, low per diem projects that the favorites didn't want - even when I was requested by clients.

Ladies, if you are young, attractive and have questionable morals and ethics - why you could go very very far at Fluor!

Why bother -- the boys club will never change. It's not the 60's -- treat professionals with dignity and respect.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and you are in charge of your career growth.

Cons

Behind in technology, resistance to change by long-time employees causes Fluor to remain behind, many managers are "old school" and require face time in the office (don't embrace working remotely) even though there is a policy on telecommuting.

Update technology, force change in the middle management ranks to become more progressive.

Dissapointing, Old School

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

9/80 Schedule, Good Benefits, Flex Schedule.

Cons

Good old boys club. If you're a minority, and a woman in this company. Good luck to you. I was constantly harassed and my management didn't do anything about it and neither did HR.

Learn how to train and be a team player and HUMAN.