Fluor Reviews

Reset
3.8
Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 19 reviews)

• Relaxed working environment, always chaning directions for the betterment of the organization (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

Great EPFC company, could use improvement though.

Current Employee - Material Management Specialist II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Material Management Specialist II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fluor is very big on training opportunities if you take advantage of them. The company is also always looking for ways to advance itself within the EPC industry, which these days is getting harder and harder to accomplish. Good 9/80 schedule, benefits, and work-life balance.

Cons

The company in general is stuck in the cost reimbursable mindset of the 1980's and is subsequently losing a large number of projects worldwide because of this. As an employee it's very easy to get lost in the system and become just another SAP number if you don't take the initiative to advance your career. The TOWP (Time off with pay or PTO) system is incredibly outdated and needs to be replaced.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and ditch the age-old mindset of the 1900's EPC firm.

2. UPPER MGMT SUCKS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Good Money!!! Depends on who u know, who u are related AND lastly, unfortunately, who you're having relations with

Cons

8 out of 10 promotions aren't delegated out because of work ethic, it's about the 3 groups previously mentioned above!!!Open Door Policy...NOT!!! SNAKES for the most part at THIS particular site!

Advice to Management

MGMT SHOULD BE CHOSEN A BIT MORE CAREFULLY, LOTS OF ANCIENT CITIZENS MAKING BOO-KOO $$$, WITH IDEA WTH IS GOING ON, FOREMANS, THO...TUH

3. Sr. O&M Specialist

Current Employee - Senior O& M Specialist for Reliability
    Current Employee - Senior O& M Specialist for Reliability

Pros

Good pay, Well treated, Professional company

Cons

My be long time between assignments just dependes on availability of work at client companies

Advice to Management

Be mor proactive in assignments when known current is ending.

5. Senior Project Manager III - Site Lead

Current Employee - PM III in Rock Springs, WY
    Current Employee - PM III in Rock Springs, WY

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, often exposed to situations that demand strong interpersonal skills. Challenging and rewarding opportunities.

Cons

Their business model does not support work continuation when a project completes.

Advice to Management

Charge more and build a reserve to maintain the good employees during the downswings. Many of the Senior VPs are risk adverse. Start managing the business and share value will take care of itself - for the most part .

6. Review

Pros

There are some competent managers in the company. If you are willing to travel, there are international projects.

Cons

Upper Management seems very detached from the actual operations of the company. Most international jobs are not family friendly, making work/life balance difficult.

Advice to Management

Attempt to actually talk to the people doing the work rather than those levels above if you want to know the actual problem.

7. A good company

Pros

I enjoy my job. I have lots of autonomy to conduct my work.

Cons

Sensitive to market changes, either up or down

8. Great Company, politics rule as any corporate office would..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

International company with many different cultures, great people. The company over all seems to care about their employees, the head of HR is an amazing kind heart person. That being said Fluor is a large company and I can only speak for what I've seen being at the corporate office.

Cons

Politics run the show... to the point that job your boss wants you to have, could be over run by someone else's suggestion because the suggestion comes from someone more senior than your boss who suddenly knows the department better than your current boss does... I have seen many professional friends lose positions they were promised due to "suggestions" from higher ups. Fluor is a good company to work for, it's just sad to see politics get the best of people sometimes.

9. Project Controls Tech. Aka enter data into bad software

Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist I in Oxnard, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist I in Oxnard, CA

I have been working at Fluor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool boss here. Understanding environment. O can leave pretty much whenever I want. Time Off isn't a problem so thats cool.

Cons

Downgrading Microsoft software, outdated programs, spending more time fighting with programs then working, contracted, bad business practices. So mind bumbing

Advice to Management

Get better software and computers. Pay people for working to get a degree and having skills earned through hard work

10. Associate Process / Specialty Engineer I

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Great working environment, great salary and benefits. Not much pressure during work.

Cons

Can get overwhelming at times (but not all the time!).

Good Company

Current Employee - Project Business Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Project Business Analyst in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Fluor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The do provide competitive pay. The people that I have worked with and have come across in the office have all been friendly and good people. They provide pretty decent benefits with wellness programs to lower your premiums. You get every other Friday off which is great.

Cons

Upper management decision making is not the best. They don't always think about what will be best for the long term.

Advice to Management

Stick with US employees for things as important as client billing and relations. Don't overload your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed