Fluor Reviews

Reset
3.8
Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 19 reviews)

• Relaxed working environment, always chaning directions for the betterment of the organization (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

1. Sticks and stones.

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Mostly its the people and the atmosphere.

Cons

Its a great place all around. Work your ass off, they do though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. Fluor, the place to work if you want challenges and room to grow

Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Learning, challenges, Benefits and flexibility

Cons

short lunch time, and congested traffic sometimes when leaving

Advice to Management

none at the moment

3. Business is booming, but who will survive when it's not?

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

The people are nice, the facilities are great, the computers and office space are good. I have lots of opprotunity to advance. The pay is very nice. Good vacation / time off per year.

Cons

Right now the industry is booming and they have hired lots of people. Some of which could be more sensible, or to have better common sense. I love to meet engineers with their "great" personalities. Overall better than most companies.

Advice to Management

Senior management, like most businesses, cannot communicate as well as they like to think. Their business talk, mumbo-jumbo, sucks. Just like any other company they need to lose most of the "business people" and get everyone working harder.

5. Great Company

Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Project Controls Specialist II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

The vast amount of opportunites to travel abroad. I enjoy working at Fluor because the people are very nice and friendly and easy to work with. They are also very helpful. When you have a problem it is easy to talk to a co worker and get help. The office is very nice and the work schedule is very convienient. Fluor is very understanding with you work schedule and allows you to take time off when needed. The time off with pay is very plentiful. it is easy to save the TOWP hours and have lots of vacation time. last vacation i took was a 2 weeks vacation in Hawaii.

Cons

It is a very cyclical company dependant on the oil industry. When the oil market is good then flour has plenty of projects to attend to but when the market is bad then it is very slow. When it is slow then fluor will lay off lots of workers. This is very frusterating to get laid off because there is not work and then getting hired back on when the work is there. Also the cubicles are very small and do not allow you to stretch completely. Unfortunantly the food is not very good either it is the same every day.

Advice to Management

Good JOb!

6. Fluor can be a challenging and rewarding place to work, but you must be proactive in development of your own career path

Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Variety of projects and opportunities

Cons

Very large and can be somewhat impersonal

Advice to Management

Pay empoyees based on past profits versus anticipated revenue.

If you have ambition, skill, and determination - Fluor has room for you to grow and succeed

Current Employee - Safety Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Safety Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Your success is up to your ambitions. Fluor offers opportunities of all kinds. If you have a mind to travel, this company is global. A good manager will make all the difference to your experience with the company. In my history with Fluor i have had the benefit of working with excellent managers who have taken an interest in my success and development. The compensation is comparitive or bests those of aother large companies within the same industry. The company has always made certain that i have the tools and training required to effectively perform my job.

Cons

It is a fast paced, sometimes, time consuming effort. If you are shy about making yourself known, you will go unnoticed in the frey.

Advice to Management

The company is huge, making employees feel involved and connected has a lot to do with your interaction with them.

8. Good, not great, place to intern.

Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Intern experience is heavily based on the department in which you work. My experience was good. I mainly learned about the EPC industry. Excellent facilities at the Houston location.

Cons

I was not given the technical challenge I would have liked as an engineering intern. Loads of data entry as an intern.

Advice to Management

Create a more challenging intern program. Interns should leave the job not only with greater understanding of industry but also with lessons learned in their field.

9. Not Many Companies Offer Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Fluor has some of the most challenging projects, in some of the most challenging locations. Fluor also has one of the industries highest compensation scales. There Time Off With Pay or vacation is nice because it is so flexible to accommodate the needs of the employees. There is no "use or loose it" with the vacation. The benefits are good. There might be some better benefits out there, but not too many places offer better, along with the same levels of compensation. The company does get it's fair share of work, and values their employees. If you pull your weight, they will do what they can to keep you working. If you coast or don't do your work, they will send you on your way. They strive to improve their processes, and seek employee involvement and encourage training and skill development to improve the value to their clients.

Cons

Fluor does not have a bench or overhead for people between projects. All hours for project type employees have to be billable to the projects. (typical for a lot of EPC companies) The business line management and project management is sometimes very "clicky" and not open to accepting people they don't know onto their projects. New employees have a difficult time becoming accepted quickly. You might have to take a position with less responsibility until the manager has had an opportunity to see how you perform and access your talents for themselves. It is thesame between the business lines. People from one business group will not take people from other groups with out some strong endorsements from others, who's opinion is respected. Therefore, movement to open positions across the companies business lines can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Management should strive to have managers look at all personnel to identify employees with hidden, raw or under-developed talents that could be harnessed for a more effective work force. I have personally run into people who were not being properly utilized, only because it might take some extra time to redirect their talents, and that is not a billable activity or something they wanted to get into.

10. Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Very good people to work with, at least at this site. Very good manager. Nice and easy to work with. Sensible and reasonable. Pays well for an internship. Includes per diem. Nobody running around trying to slit each other's throats.

Cons

Far away from home for me. May not get the salary I want if I get hired when I graduate. Other than that. Really no down side.

Advice to Management

Great job. Keep me in mind when I graduate next year. I think Fluor is a place where I can make a great contribution and accomplish my career goals.

11. Good stable company to grow with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Stable company High level of ethics Challenging work assignments Varied work assignments Leader in the industry Pay and benefits are OK Flexible working environment

Cons

Rigid Overly risk averse Conservative (which isn't always a bad thing) Afraid to embrace new technology (business networking, etc./social media) When it's good, it's good but when the downturn comes, it isn't pleasant Because we are project-based, there is a little instability in jobs (although a stable company) No bonus structure for those NOT on the Executive Management Team

Advice to Management

Embrace change Give regular feedback to employees on what they do well and where they could improve In any economy, don't lose sight of employee development in ALL offices Communicate...Communicate...Communicate

RSS Feed </> Embed