Fluor

Updated December 10, 2014
3.7

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 19 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Women welcome IF young, attractive and "docile"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are no goods outweighed by the bad. There are a few really good people, but they are muffled by the good ole boys

Cons

Let's see - where should I begin? I was physically and verbally assaulted, harassed, and degraded due to my gender. I was told to wear "attractive clothes" even though I was in a field role, and criticized for my weight.

A young woman in charge of one department's intranet - who spends an inordinate amount of company time in the gym, wears tight, revealing clothes, bats her eyes and flirts, yet has no education or experience - was put in a corner office while others with much more education, experience and tenure with the company were relegated to the cube farm to take orders from her highness. It was obvious why she was put in the position she was in.

Many men and woman are in positions they are neither qualified or capable for simply because they know the right egos to stroke.

Complaining to HR only put me on the short list out the door as a potential trouble maker and litigant.

I wish I could say it was one department or SBU but it was all of them. I was NEVER allowed to work in oil and gas and was only given the no overtime, low per diem projects that the favorites didn't want - even when I was requested by clients.

Ladies, if you are young, attractive and have questionable morals and ethics - why you could go very very far at Fluor!

Why bother -- the boys club will never change. It's not the 60's -- treat professionals with dignity and respect.

GOOD OLD BOY LEGACY SYSTEM AT THE VERY BEST!

Former Employee - Document Control in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Document Control in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, good benefits, at least you are paid to give your life to this place.

Cons

Lots of dead wood, good old boy system in full force. You can be a total IDIOT but if your parent, spouse or friend is in a Director, HR or PM position, then you have the Golden Ticket. It's no wonder the Greenville, SC campus is a ghost town; they have priced their own selves out of the market with all of the overhead and the "that's the way we've always done it" attitude.

Drop the arrogant attitude and the constant story of a "huge backlog" of work to your stockholders. And you expect your project workload to pickup in what century?

Management promotes lower grad employees to supervise seniors!

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Fluor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

None that I can think of!

Cons

Management has to change. A big body shop with contract employees

One of the old guy who walks around the building all the time thinks he is permanent and his college temporary.

Stuck for 30 years

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Everything that I can think of

You suck.

Confusing to work for

Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Fluor as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay great vacation/R and R fun travel. Retention bonuses.

Cons

This company was rife with fraud and abuse in Afghanistan as a Department of Defense contractor and will be on the news CNN just like KBR was when they lost the LOGCAP contract in Afghanistan to Fluor. With Fluor they had policies and procedures that were never enforced unless the target was political or racially not in the click. As a result over 500 thousand gallons of jet fuel JP-8 is unaccounted for and there fore missing had policies and procedures be followed and evenly and fairly enforced no matter who you know or the color of your skin then that fuel would be accounted for. There as a huge race issue on LOGCAP Afghanistan under Fluor and it was African American committing racism against white Americans and Afghan local nationals..

I could not watch this go on any longer I had been in Afghanistan and Iraq working for Fluor and KBR for over 8 years and under Fluor it was the worst I had ever witnessed I had to resign or go mad. They make KBR look soo good I would have been willing to go back to KBR for less money than Fluor paid us.

When I resigned I reported what I witnessed to investigators for the company and I have communicated with people still there what was going on is still going on and was never even looked into. Keep your eyes on CNN this will be a story for sure. Fluor will get a bad name and is not a bad company but this every man for himself management is not effective when people are incompetent for the positions they hold and undisciplined and it is very difficult to get highly educated and competent personnel in a war zone they can make the same money or close to it at home so now the guy who was the grocery store cart boy and tells good jokes and knows all the wrong stuff gets the promotion and the blind lead the ones who may be more qualified and almost everyone is looking at face book and playing games on company time as opposed to double checking their work or learning and refreshing their skills.

Fluor will get a bad name form this when the story breaks on CNN and they are not a bad company but been mismanaged and left to run wild in Afghanistan with unqualified and tested personnel.

Apply and enforce policies evenly and fairly have a zero tolerance policy and enforce it no matter who the violators may be who they know or their ethnicity. Evenly balance the ethnicity/race of staff in every section to lesson the likeliness of collusion / buddy system that facilities wrong doing. Ensure via background checks and on site tests and past performance all together to be sure a candidate for promotion is qualified.

Plant Operator

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Fluor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not a lot to say, in the position I was in. The facility they do contract work for the other company , is a mess.

Cons

Don't know , where to start. Very mismanaged, never saw the supervisor, maybe once out of the six months I was there.

Before, I took the job, they must have gone through well over 2 dozen people, and the contract company I worked for ,warned me about them. And they were right.

I believe the good comments on this company in my position, probably are unionize people. This job wasn't. Not saying all unions are good, but in this case with this facility they out weight the mismanagement here.

Co-workers were pretty much never happy , a lot of narrow mind Hecks that worked there. A lot of the senior workers, wanted to quit , but couldn't because , they were too old. So, you can get the picture here. The company theY do work for , couldn't careless about the facility and mostly like are just stringing it along unlit they close it in 5ys. They also, couldn't care less for the safety around there either. (Fluor was too busy blaming their workers not themselves, which is BS)

Need to clean house with your management here & get rid of the Senior operators that don't want to be there.

Accounts and finance

Former Employee - Accounts & Finance in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts & Finance in Irving, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable benefits, global locations, big company

Cons

Work and life not balance

I was amazed.

Former Employee - Operations in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Houston, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global name brand upon which to grow the business. Many people in place that are poised to perform; all that is needed is some organized direction.

Cons

There is a desperate need for senior management having real experience. Many meetings, initiatives and plane flights with little substance of effective management.

ASAP, acquire people to fill key positions whom have real experience, not just time in the industry spent watching others work. There is a desperate need for people who have the ability and willingness to 'get their hands dirty'.

It was a (large) paycheck FGG

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very large paycheck. If you love the military hierarchy, you will love this company!

Cons

Work/life balance? 12 hour days, seven days a week, 45 minutes to vet to work, 45 minutes to get back from work, no paid lunch = ~8 hours a day to shower, sleep, eat, anything else you need to do.

Actually stand up for your employees that come to you with issues

big company with mean management

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Fluor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

big name , huge facility 1000's of employees

Cons

no job security too many hiring , referral money offering , job fairs then immediate layoffs ?

humans are not machines , don't hire too many people if you don't have work security for them