Fluor Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.8

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 15 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Fluor Engineers

Current Employee - Control Systems Engineer  in  Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Control Systems Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong Engineering autonomy and integrity. personal growth opportunities with internal online resources, key personnel are targeted for growth but bulk of work force is kept as status quo.

Cons

Departmental favoritism in staffing projects. Department is led by ex project engineer with no relavant technical experience to manage a technical department. Be careful of out of office assignments as there is unlikely to be a job to return to. You get laid off before even returning to office.

Do a better job of finding positions for employees who are not in the home office

Good learning environment, but very political.

Former Employee - Material Management Specialist  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Material Management Specialist in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are great online resources through the Intranet for continuing education and you have the ability to easily find and contact colleagues around the world for collaboration and help. Compensation seems to be more than average and benefits are excellent. Like anywhere, there are good members of management and others who are not so great. Fluor has well thought-out processes and structures for the way they conduct business, so it's easy to learn a new job with a little dedication toward reading the available procedures and exploring the Intranet for information.

Cons

I think there are way too many layers of management and it seems certain people gain favor for promotion over others regardless of experience, contributions, and professionalism. The good ol' boy network and nepotism reign supreme. Be careful navigating the political waters. There are lots of family members working together and many apparently less than qualified members of management who hang on the coattails of those who are dedicated and truly interested in what is going on. Jobs can be very narrow in scope, and thus become monotonous and boring to a thinking individual.

Consider streamlining and reducing the layers. Encourage the the worker bees to grow and move up to management if they show interest and initiative rather than looking outside to hire new college grads to groom and promote ahead of them. Finally, when internal job candidates apply, treat them as though they're valuable and provide some feedback when they aren't chosen for an interview or when another candidate is chosen. Help them become qualified for the next step in their careers and mentor them.

SO SO

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a good company to work for.

Cons

It depends on who you know to mive around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, while it lasted

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer (Lead)
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer (Lead)

I worked at Fluor as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very professional people. You're left alone to do your job and they have clear cut information to show you how they want it done.

Cons

Like most contract work, you're busy until you're not.

Doing a good job.

Good ethical company with strong focus on safety.

I have been working at Fluor full-time

Pros

Successful company with true commitment to both ethics and safety.

Cons

Fluor is a project-based company. Jobs last only until the project ends - often after only a few months or a couple of years. If there is not another job available on a different project, employees are put on LOA without pay. This results in employees leaving the company for other firms or taking jobs in hardship areas to stay employed.

Confusing to work for

Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator  in  Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Fluor as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Great pay great vacation/R and R fun travel. Retention bonuses.

Cons

This company was rife with fraud and abuse in Afghanistan as a Department of Defense contractor and will be on the news CNN just like KBR was when they lost the LOGCAP contract in Afghanistan to Fluor. With Fluor they had policies and procedures that were never enforced unless the target was political or racially not in the click. As a result over 500 thousand gallons of jet fuel JP-8 is unaccounted for and there fore missing had policies and procedures be followed and evenly and fairly enforced no matter who you know or the color of your skin then that fuel would be accounted for. There as a huge race issue on LOGCAP Afghanistan under Fluor and it was African American committing racism against white Americans and Afghan local nationals..

I could not watch this go on any longer I had been in Afghanistan and Iraq working for Fluor and KBR for over 8 years and under Fluor it was the worst I had ever witnessed I had to resign or go mad. They make KBR look soo good I would have been willing to go back to KBR for less money than Fluor paid us.

When I resigned I reported what I witnessed to investigators for the company and I have communicated with people still there what was going on is still going on and was never even looked into. Keep your eyes on CNN this will be a story for sure. Fluor will get a bad name and is not a bad company but this every man for himself management is not effective when people are incompetent for the positions they hold and undisciplined and it is very difficult to get highly educated and competent personnel in a war zone they can make the same money or close to it at home so now the guy who was the grocery store cart boy and tells good jokes and knows all the wrong stuff gets the promotion and the blind lead the ones who may be more qualified and almost everyone is looking at face book and playing games on company time as opposed to double checking their work or learning and refreshing their skills.

Fluor will get a bad name form this when the story breaks on CNN and they are not a bad company but been mismanaged and left to run wild in Afghanistan with unqualified and tested personnel.

Apply and enforce policies evenly and fairly have a zero tolerance policy and enforce it no matter who the violators may be who they know or their ethnicity. Evenly balance the ethnicity/race of staff in every section to lesson the likeliness of collusion / buddy system that facilities wrong doing. Ensure via background checks and on site tests and past performance all together to be sure a candidate for promotion is qualified.

Process engineer

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Different types of projects.
    Lots to learn
    loads of training opportunities

Cons

Pay can be better.
    the opportunity for going to site must be clear

Nothing really. Try to retain talent as must as you can.

Good company to learn, to have site experience and grow to management level

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nice colleagues, supportive environment. Open possibilities to all career directions i.e. technical specialist or management. Flexible working time.

Cons

As a woman you need to become more expressive and actively asking for opportunities.

Antiquated in Every Way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was decent and the benefits are good - but you're NEVER able to take time off - not without being blackballed. God forbid you need to take time off to care for family - including dying parents.

Cons

If you are a woman, you will only succeed at this company if you are a PE, and then you're still making less than your male peers and sometimes your subordinates. I was threatened with my job more than once for going to HR when passed over for opportunities due to my gender - and was told by the good ole boys that my gender was the reason. My boss once screamed across the company cafeteria, "Wow, you're getting fat." This is the same good ole boy who told me I should be ashamed of myself for not staying home and raising my children full time. I was constantly forced to supervise and be responsible for men who made more than I did. And then they acted shocked when I left, mostly because they thought no other company would want me I guess- like they were doing me some big favor overworking me and underpaying me while degrading and insulting me on a constant basis.

Like they'd listen to a little woman. Why bother?

good company

Current Employee - Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor as an intern for more than a year

Pros

good pay, equal opportunity employer

Cons

long hours and travel. Commute can be rough

promote from within. Ask people to carry their load

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!