Fluor Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.7

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 17 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist

I worked at Fluor as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation , vacation time. Employees work together as a team. Takes pride in safety.

Cons

Management was not trained and those that have been at the company for years have to train new management on what to do. Inventory of supplies was limited or not available at times.

Promote from within and not have employees with the potential to progress in the company train new hired upper management

Plant Operator

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Fluor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not a lot to say, in the position I was in. The facility they do contract work for the other company , is a mess.

Cons

Don't know , where to start. Very mismanaged, never saw the supervisor, maybe once out of the six months I was there.

Before, I took the job, they must have gone through well over 2 dozen people, and the contract company I worked for ,warned me about them. And they were right.

I believe the good comments on this company in my position, probably are unionize people. This job wasn't. Not saying all unions are good, but in this case with this facility they out weight the mismanagement here.

Co-workers were pretty much never happy , a lot of narrow mind Hecks that worked there. A lot of the senior workers, wanted to quit , but couldn't because , they were too old. So, you can get the picture here. The company theY do work for , couldn't careless about the facility and mostly like are just stringing it along unlit they close it in 5ys. They also, couldn't care less for the safety around there either. (Fluor was too busy blaming their workers not themselves, which is BS)

Need to clean house with your management here & get rid of the Senior operators that don't want to be there.

Senior Manager Information Technology

Current Employee - Senior Manager Information Technology in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Information Technology in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good salary and the employees around the globe were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

There was too much politics that was factored into career progression especially in mid to senior management. Too many unqualified individuals ended up in management positions. A lot of these managers didn't understand how to lead.

Business Line executive management needs to be flushed out and replaced with competent execs who care about their employees and the preserving the companies history and longevity rather than focusing on their own salaries and empires.

Fluor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fluor supports higher education and individual growth.

Cons

Fluor is extremely political. Sometimes issues are overrided due to friendships.

Fluor employees should receive more recognition.

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary and benefits were excellent.

Cons

The people were very much set in their own cliches. And it took time for people to work their ways into their decided circle.

Be more attendtive to employees when they are struggling and begging for help.

Management

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have incorporated great training program until they cut the budget. They do promote young professionals.

Cons

The management style needs tons of improvement, and they are way top heavy on officers in the Houston office.

Management tends to forget where they came from and instead act as if they 'have arrived'. They quickly lose sight of important things in company progress like accountability, integrity, value, etc.

They have programs for advancing the young professionals; however, much of their advancement, in a timely manner, is based on who they have as a mentor; and most of the time, that can be to the young professionals detriment.

Let the employees do a 360 on management.

Although I have only worked at Fluor since earning my degree. I have found that the opportunities are endless.

Current Employee - Design Engineer II in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Design Engineer II in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Major opportunities for advancement and career development

Cons

Huge company, so you must put forth major effort to gain exposure and access to opportunities.

Continue to groom the future leaders to prepare the company for all the boomers retiring which we are already seeing.

Very challenging, yet extremely educational.

Former Employee - Project Procurement Manager in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Project Procurement Manager in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time

Pros

Salary was very competitive.
    Opportunities to Grow.
    Education atmosphere.

Cons

Project to project based employment.
    Long hours.
    Stuck in time with approach to retaining talent.

Tap into the talent already there.

Great company with great pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Human Resources/IR Tech II in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Human Resources/IR Tech II in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Fluor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed working environment, always chaning directions for the betterment of the organization. Great benifits, off every other Friday, accumulated TOWP at a very fair rate, flexible with shcedules to meet the needs of employees and home life.

Cons

Lacking in communication effecting employees, too many click groups instead of team players. Growth depending on the department you work in. Stacking of team based on personal relationships instead of skill set and professionalism.

I would like to see management choose their leaders using a different criteria. Too many leaders say the right thing to their managers and do not follow through to the team. Would like to see upper management visit each department and get a true working knowledge of our daily activities.

Associate Design Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Fluor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, great training and guidelines and staff

Cons

No employee retention due to project workload decrease

Try to work out a balanced agenda on workload and protect employees from undesired cirscunstances