Flyers Energy

Updated September 10, 2014
3.8

Rick Teske
1 Rating

This is a great company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, CA

I have been working at Flyers Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working for this company for one year now and love it! I have never before had the good fortune to work with such an inspirational group of people all pulling together to ensure both their own and Flyers' success. I look forward to coming to work every day (ok, maybe not Monday) because every day offers a new challenge. Every Manager has an "open door" policy and all have taken the time to answer any questions I have and never act as if I'm wasting their time. Also, job openings are posted in-house first and there are always plenty of learning opportunities.

Cons

Yeah, it's the salaries. However, working for a company that truly appreciates what you're doing makes up for some of that and they are certainly very generous with their contributions to all of the benefit plans.

The only advice I could offer is to keep up the good work. It's a pleasure working for an employer that shows it's appreciation for employees that do a good job while encouraging their growth within the company.

Rewarding and Enjoyable!!

I have been working at Flyers Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It truly doesn't matter if you are speaking to upper or middle management, everyone at Flyers will make time to listen to you. Doors are always open for conversation and problem solving. Flyers is a great place for cross training and they are very willing to allow an employee to move, train and learn in other departments. Learning and working in different departments has definitely helped with my growth at Flyers. I would highly recommend Flyers as an employer!!

Cons

The starting pay can be a little low, however, once your out of your probation and they see what you truly have to offer, moving up and around at Flyers can be easy and very rewarding.

Overall, I think management does an excellent job. Maybe recognize the some of the quiet individuals. There are some pretty smart amazing people that work here, that if given a chance, they could really shine. It's not that the squeaky wheel always gets the grease, sometimes the right people just don't speak up.

A place to call home...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, CA

I have been working at Flyers Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Hands down... love, love, love, the people and being able to truly work with amazing team members.

Cons

Benefits however, this is starting to become the norm across the board with a majority of employers nowadays.

This is a growing company of hardworking individuals.

Current Employee - Manager in Auburn, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Auburn, CA

I have been working at Flyers Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flyers has grown considerably in the 7 years I have worked here. Many managers and workers have had the opportunity to gain responsibility and make a difference at the company. Problem-solvers and dedicated workers have done well. Fuel discount, gym onsite at the corporate office, opportunity for advancement are all reasons to work here. The fiscally conservative nature of this management ensures that the company remains solvent and workers get to keep their jobs. The company is committed to community service through a long-term partnership with Special Olympics and has approved making funds available specifically for donations to other charitable causes.

Cons

Growing a company is not an even, organized process, and comes in fits and spurts. Often, the reason we open a new position and hire someone is because the person/people doing the work now have been carrying a big load and under stress. This fact also presents the opportunity for advancement, as a team member can propose a solution and then be put in charge of that solution. There are disappointingly few women in upper management.

Communication downstream helps team members stay involved and motivated. I want to make sure I am investing my time to contribute to the collective effort and/or to know that the work I do is important.

Opportunity for those that seek it

I have been working at Flyers Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I don't understand the most recent post from a current fellow co-worker. I see certain departments that definitely promote within and it does not matter who you are as long as you are doing a great job, and it often can happen quickly. People are very caring. I must say that if people don't like pay or opportunity, why do they stay and who's fault is it? Does a company choose your path? There are a number of people that have rocketed to the top at Flyers that are NOT family. Anyone ever think that they provide more jobs to the community than almost any other employer? I feel that I can tell them that I want to learn new skills and move to another seat, I have seen that happen with great success for people. Office is nice, the people that work there are great, and I love how they are one of the largest fund raisers for Special Olympics in California.

Cons

They starting pay is low. But if you feel stuck I do feel you can choose to go somewhere else in my department or at least request to get in a department where you can make more.

Lean and mean isn't something to brag about, maybe when talking other expenses but you certainly don't want people to think that applies to them and their fellow co-workers.

This company sucks

I have been working at Flyers Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some very hard working employees who are not appreciated and others who are lazy and always get rewarded. If you brown nose you will get promoted and compensated without having to have any skills.

Cons

Senior management and extreme nepotism. The senior management only cares about who he likes personally and it doesn't matter if you are qualified for a position. He will hire 2 to 3 people to do a job that one qualified person could do. Poor leadership.

Retire

I love the Company I work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Auburn, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Auburn, CA

I have been working at Flyers Energy

Pros

You can get raises quick after your probationary period is over. Great team members who work together well make a store run more proficiency. You meet alot of new people that are called quests. Just the whole outcome of the job is what I love. I love the people and all my team members including in the office as well as the tanker drivers. I have had several upper management in the office back me up on alot of items otherwise I could of lost my job.

Cons

you never get enough credit on the good things you do, you only get the negative side of it and that is what tends to stick with you.

give great job done once in a while, or say a Thank you. those types of words go along way. I know I give them to my team members always and they like that.

Working for Flyers Energy

I have been working at Flyers Energy full-time

Pros

Since the company is growing, a new HR Director and HR department has been hiring a more diverse workforce rather than mostly Caucasian employees causing a forced acceptance of different cultures and helping the "good ole' boy" thinkers adjust their attitudes and behaviors. The core group of people that work at headquarters are generally very nice people when the act of managing people is set aside. Also, HR has been taking great steps to train several of the ill-skilled managers that have subordinates by sending them to management and supervisory training classes.

Cons

The company has a lot growing to do by getting away from the small business mentality. A number of managers are in their positions because of their years of experience in the industry and not because they know how best to manage people. As a result, these managers' reflects a"Do as I say, don't do as I do" behavior, resulting is conflict and strife. Unfortunately, there is a lot of nepotism throughout the company. Many people are family members- brothers, sisters, cousins, husbands, wives, etc. It's important to note, the health insurance offered by this company is extremely limited. The employee pays most of the costs. One does not get the feeling that this company really cares about the health of their employees because of they only offer one health care choice. Specifically, a PPO. A new employee must wait 90 days for benefits and one year for just one week of vacation. Five years for two weeks...does this sounds like a company that really has the employee's best interest in mind? This company makes millions of dollars monthly, yet wages for most employees starting with this company is about $16 hourly.

When Senior management hires middle management, they need to hire people with the skills for the position AND the ability to manage people fairly. Placing an individual in a management position simply because they know the department or the job itself does not mean they know how to manage people. Time and consideration must given to the interview process and compensation should be in alignment with experience. It is very costly to the organization when there is a high turn-over rate is a department due to a poorly trained manager responsible for subordinates. Senior management needs to trust the front line service providers more and not blindly trust whatever the middle managers say. Trust but verify. Be objective and truly listen to both sides of a story, look for the facts rather than hearsay.

If your a buddy of the management then you have it made; if not forgot about it. Advancement is not based on skills.

I have been working at Flyers Energy

Pros

The owners and honorable hard working employees.

Cons

Growth and advancement is available to those who are relatives and close friends. Skills, dedication and hard work is not recognized.

Poor leadership. Does not walk the talk.

Satisfactory

I worked at Flyers Energy

Pros

Stable company, some growth potential

Cons

Communication and fairness lacking at times

Communicate better, more people friendly