Flying Point Digital

3.4

Alan Pearlstein

Easy-going, Hard-Working Digital Marketing Agency

I have been working at Flying Point Digital

Pros

Great working environment and the team that has been here for a while is great to work with!

Cons

If you're good on your feet then this is a great place to work. If not, I suggest you get a normal 9-5 with strict checklists.

Great Early Career Experience

I worked at Flying Point Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good experience for someone looking to learn more about this industry
    - Excellent opportunities for someone with little career experience
    - Laid back office culture
    - Direct feedback and interactions with senior leadership

Cons

- Limited growth opportunities because it is such a small company

Horrible Place, Watch Out for FAKE Reviews

I worked at Flying Point Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can play the politics currently you can get overpaid pretty easily. Not someplace where you learn a lot, but it's a great "first job" to put on your resume since you can claim agency experience. Do the smart thing and leave after 6 months to an actually established agency.

Cons

Will do anything to make themselves sound good. In fact, it's common knowledge that the positive posts on glassdoor were written by high up management as "image control". They even question employees to figure out who wrote negative reviews.

Benefits are nonexistent (who doesn't give dental in this day and age)?

Management plays favorites and pay is unfair. Threaten to quit and watch your salary increase. If you simply work hard, you'll never get a proper raise.

Hire new staff that knows what they're doing. You're behind when it comes to industry standards. Stop overpaying staff that just stays a long time, and actually pay based on performance/knowledge.

An Excellent Introduction Into SEM

Former Employee - SEM Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - SEM Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Flying Point Digital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management is eager to teach you everything you need to know about SEM
    Interns are given as much responsibilities as they themselves are willing to take on; this is NOT an office assistant-type internship, you will have real work
    Initiative is noticed, and if you prove yourself not only will they reward you with work & pay but will also offer you professional assistance going forward in your career
    Office culture is very cool and laid back; staff are great people

Cons

Advice to future interns: definitely make sure you let management know when you're running out of work, they are more than happy to oblige but they won't force it on you.

Results-Driven, Honest Company

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Flying Point Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flying Point Digital is a boutique digital marketing agency specializing in retail and e-commerce. It's intimate size fosters a collaborative environment where the Senior Executives work hand-in-hand with their staff. The deconstruction of hierarchy allows for quick growth and the sharing of knowledge between departments. As the agency life can prove to be rigorous, people who enjoy working in a fast paced, challenging environment will be given a lot of responsibility and will thus thrive at Flying Point Digital.

The best bagels in NYC are also a Thursday morning staple!

Cons

If you lack the ability to multi-task and communicate well, this may not be your ideal workplace.

Keep up the good work!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Flying Point Digital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great atmosphere
    employees care about the work and where the agency is going
    new larger clients leading to increased growth
    involved leadership

Cons

only con is the building and the neighborhood, but that is being upgraded in 2013

keep the course and continue to hire passionate employees

All the perks of working at a big digital agency without any of the headaches

I worked at Flying Point Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1.) Work across various online marketing channels (PPC, SEO, Social, Display)
    2.) Guide your own career path
    3.) Ability to provide insights towards the growth and direction of the agency
    4.) Projects across several verticals (finance, real estate, travel)
    5.) Unbeatable work/life balance
    6.) Management works hard to retain truly valuable talent
    7.) Monthly happy hours & Pictionary
    8.) Intelligent, fun staff
    9.) Super accessible location for commuters
    10.) Open door policy allows everyone to share thoughts, concerns, idea, etc. with the president

Cons

While turnover is common within the digital space, it does seem more pronounced @ FPM, likely due to the intimate size of the agency. Also, the pay can be quite good, but the benefits package does leave a bit to be desired.

Continue to focus on new business development, but don't neglect the opportunity to upsell existing clients on additional service offerings.

An expanded benefits package could definitely help to retain employees.

Perfect Sized Agency

Former Employee - PPC Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - PPC Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Flying Point Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flying Point is a great place for people looking to break into the Digital Media world or looking to expand their digital marketing skills alike. I started as an intern and unlike friends at other agencies, I didn't spend my first year buried in meaningless tasks. If you’re willing to learn and work hard, you’ll be given the opportunity to do so alongside some talented people and on some big name clients. For the experienced folks, you’ll appreciate FPM’s size and how you’re able to work with other teams towards a clients’ goal (and not just siloed into your own little world/vertical).

Cons

Not a job for recent grads who think the company owes them an education. If you want classroom instruction, go download Google’s study materials. Learning and growing at FPM will require a self starter who shows initiative – training will come to those who show they want it.

Maintain a dedicated focus on innovation. Something I've come across in every agency I've worked it is that everyone is so caught up in deliverables, that we fail to evaluate other opportunities. Next thing you know, people are scrambling to get caught up and are 2nd to the party.

Only useful if you're in it for the money

I worked at Flying Point Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The entry/junior level people. They try to train you as much as possible and really care about each other. The problem is there's only so much that can be self-taught.

Cons

The management. Anyone who's good leaves for a reason. Being in this agency you'll feel your motivation getting drained out of you everyday. Everything they do, especially for SEM and SEO is outdated by at least 5 years. The "Account Management" department is a joke. You can really just be on ESPN all day and talk on the phone and no one will notice. Just pretend that you're busy and doing work and you'll get raises. Make sure to ask for them when someone quits/right before you know someone else is planning to ask for one. This used to be the place to get a start on your digital marketing career, but now you'll find that any skill you learn is so outdated that it's useless. The turnover rate is about 200% in one year. There even used to be bets on who would quit next.

People rarely last over 1 year and if they do, it's just for the salary. Don't let them lie to you if you're starting as an "intern". Interns have been known to make $15/hour. After the internship, it's a standard for them to offer 40K but you can get at least 50K from them. After one year, you should make 60K (this is not normal for other agencies) regardless of the work you do. Just stick it out and you'll make bank if you're in it for the money.

If you're there for the experience/learning JUMP SHIP!! There's nothing that you can learn no matter how much they try to tell you they know industry standards. They might try to throw fancy titles your way but anyone will easily see through you during an interview.

Start fresh. Your current "management" has no idea what's going on in the industry. The SEO/SEM practices are laughable. Get management that has actual industry experience instead of promoting people who are self-taught and still using outdated practices. Stop giving promotion/raises based on who is best at sucking up to the CEO. Those people generally are laughing behind your back and telling the rest of the agency about the gossip that you tell them. There are more than a few bad apples that you know of.

A Great Place to Start & Grow Your Digital Career

Current Employee - Senior Digital Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Flying Point Digital

Pros

FPM is willing to give most anyone a shot to prove him or herself. They don't have strict requirements when it comes to hiring and are willing to be very open-minded, if you show some potential.

In my particular case, I was finding that many employers wouldn't give me consideration due to my brief period of incarceration & limited knowledge of the Internet. However, when interviewing @ FPM, I was open and honest about my skills and past indiscretions. Gratefully, I was told this would not be an issue, as long as I was willing to start my employment as a member of the company's S.T.A.R. (Still Taking on Agency Responsibilities) program.

While in S.T.A.R., I was able to quickly take on more and more duties & craft client strategies, all while learning the fundamentals of digital media. In less than a month I was overseeing client campaigns involving SEO, display, and paid search with little to no senior attention.

Being so green to the industry, I fully expected to be micromanaged and coddled by my superiors, but this was not the case. FPM truly employs a hands off approach with its employees, allowing each to craft their own path.

Once I completed the S.T.A.R. program and earned my GED, I was promoted to a full-time position.

Other perks include bagel Thursdays & unlimited timeoff. Oh yeah, did I mention no set office hours?!?! President is a firm believer in the policy of "Get your work done or don't, but come and go as you please". Definitely makes for a very cool, laid back environment.

Cons

I am grasping at straws here, but:
     -S.T.A.R. program is unpaid.
    -Often run out of cream cheese on bagel Thursdays

Keep it up! It's not hard to see that the man at the top is doing all the right things!!!

Flying Point Digital Photos

The official office of Flying Point Digital.
The official office of Flying Point Digital.

+ Add Photo