Flywheel

3.4

Ruth Zukerman

Club Coordinator Review

Current Employee - Club Coordinator

I have been working at Flywheel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, employee benefits and free spin classes

Cons

Terrible scheduling and poor management skills

poorly run management

A business rollercoaster

Former Employee - Studio Manager
    Former Employee - Studio Manager

I worked at Flywheel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Spent years working way up through the company and achieving highest possible role. Good benefits, OK salary and great work environment.

Cons

- Work-life balance is very poor. Ability to pull up work from any location, always working and always expected to be working
    - Upper management has massive lack of communication to studio managers
    - Poor leadership and lack of accountability.
    - Lack of positive reinforcement; communication from boss only comes through if you are not doing well. Never the opposite. This makes staying with company less desirable.
    - Never given any goals or numbers to achieve. Makes it hard to guide yourself and know whether on correct path or not.
    - Hear from boss when out of town, rarely any other time. Expectations are definitely not communicated well.
    - Flywheel will consume you if you allow it. Individuals who do not do well in setting and managing boundaries experience burn out, and there won't be many people (if anyone) to stop this from happening.
    - Poured heart and soul in to company for years receive nothing in return.

- Understand what it truly means to take time off and why employees feel the need to do so.
    - Leadership should be aware of their employees giving their best, even when they have achieved their goals and results numbers.
    - If Flywheel would put more money in to marketing and advertising before a studio opens - it would truly help improve overall studio performance. There's a constant "cannot keep above water" feeling.

Trendy wanna be

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Flywheel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the instructors put on a great class- if there is room, employees get to take class for free

Cons

Training is non-existent and studio managers are overworked. Resistance exercise portion of class a waste of time for muscle endurance or strength goals.

compensation is fair, work expectations for local manager is not. Invest more in training before opening up a new studio.

Great Work Environment-I Love My Job

Current Employee - Club Coordinator

I have been working at Flywheel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

An incredibly positive work environment, the job isn't difficult, well compensated, great network of employees. The corporate headquarters are responsive to any and all concerns

Cons

The hours are a little bit crazy, but that comes with any job in the fitness industry!

Employee feedback forms/opportunities to talk about going further in the company would be appreciated

Hired for one job, fired after catching onto bait and switch.

Former Employee - Technical and Mechanical Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical and Mechanical Support Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Flywheel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, somewhat flexible schedule, great people to work with, laid back and fun working environment.

Cons

I was hired to provide technical and mechanical support for several locations, but a few weeks after I came on board I was told I'd also be responsible for maintenance of the facilities (i.e.: janitorial work). This wasn't something mentioned in the online job description, the phone screen, two interviews or during my training. When I brought this up with the HR director who interviewed and eventually hired me he assured me it was just a misunderstanding. A few days later I received a call from the same HR director telling me I was fired - he refused to provide further information.

This wasn't the only detail misrepresented during the hiring process. I was told there would be some travel involved, one or two days a week. Later I was informed I'd be working off-site two to four hours drive time away up to four days a week once Summer ended.

Be honest and upfront about what's expected of new employees. Don't leave any ambiguity about job titles, job descriptions or how employees' roles may change in the company.

Stressful at times, but I won't get paid better elsewhere.

Current Employee - Club Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Club Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Flywheel part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome pay, great coworkers, free cycling and barre classes, lots of downtime, free clothes quarterly, overall easy job.

Cons

its a new company and rules and regulations are constantly changing. Don't expect everything to be exactly the same when you come in the next day. Senior management tends to dump everything they don't want to do on the lower levels, and most of the time they don't take the greater good of their employees into consideration over making money.

there's a fine line between what a business manager should be doing and what a CC should be doing. Please make it clearer for yourselves. Also, if it's a day you know you wouldn't want to be working if you were in our shoes (blizzard, thanksgiving, hurricane sandy) then please god, don't make us do it.

Excellent team of people at every level, from maintenance team to ownership

Former Employee - Maintenance in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Flywheel part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Pay is definitely to the scale of the region (well above minimum wage)
    -Co-workers are happy to be there, customers are the best I have experienced in any
    retail or service industry
    -Management is a human being and treats you like a human being
    -Free spin classes for employees

Cons

That one random customer that throws a fit.

Keep smiling and giving off good energy.