Folica Reviews

2.6

Carl Gish

It was fun

I worked at Folica full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee and staff were the best to work with. Everyone was hard working, motivated to turn the company into the best company there is.

Cons

The corporate culture that came in order to maximize the business, made folica a less enjoyable work place.

Good first job for start-up minded folk, but don't stay more than a year.

I worked at Folica

Pros

Some young and motivated employees keep business ideas coming. Hair product perks.

Cons

The company has an unstable future and some issues (website limitations, unclear management direction) that keep it from growing into a competitor in the online marketplace.
    It's not a place you want to invest too much time, but would be a good place to gain some working experience for those new to their career.

customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Dayton, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, NJ

I have been working at Folica part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a relaxed office. The people are great and the wrok is fairly easy. You learn something new everyday. Some of the customers are all around great people and they really make the job worth it.

Cons

There is no room to grow in this company. The pay is not terrible but it is below what we should be making. The hours change constantly, you don't know if your going to work a full 40hrs or 20hrs week to week.

We pride ourselves on great customer service but you can not have great customer service if you don't take care of your employees first. Listen to employee suggestions, provide stable work hours, and lets us know when we are doing a good job not just when we mess up. An employee appreciation day and a raise for the customer service reps would be a good start.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic! Once in a lifetime career experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Folica

Pros

small comapny values and environment, collaboration, opportunity to work with all levels of management, open and honest environment

Cons

The location in NJ is not as convenient or close much.

Not recommended

I worked at Folica

Pros

Location in midtown Manhattan is ideal for CT commuters. Health insurance package is good includes medical, dental and even vision.

Cons

Poor chain of command, sharing questions and concerns is not welcome, compensation is weak. Worked to the bone on projects that turn out messy and mistake-riddled.

I'd suggest the management reevaluate their priorities. Goals are rushed, results are sloppy, and employees are unhappy. They need some corporate karma.

A Great Place to Work and Grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Folica

Pros

Team Support:
    I have come from largely entrepreneurial / startup companies, very scrappy, very DIY. At Folica we have cross functional support so I don't have to do everything myself, which is kind of disorienting depending on your background, but long run a plus. The CEO takes a strong hand in guiding key initiatives, which include team members from every level from coordinator to directors / senior VPs all meeting together to execute.

Personal and Professional Growth and Coaching:
    Folica is the most "corporate" job I have ever had. While it was jarring and somewhat difficult for me to begin with (as I said I come from a small company / startup background), the planning and strategy that has been required of me ("coaching") really has helped me to do my job better and to hit in some cases aggressive revenue / growth numbers.

Fun:
    It is fun to work here!

Cons

I don't have any huge complaints about working here.

Space is one thing - Though Folica has significant revenues with several years under its belt, the NY office in particular is run quite lean; our office is pretty but not particularly spacious.

One thing that wasn't transparent when I joined was the necessity of commuting to the NJ office at times. This isn't too big a deal (weeks can go by before I have to go to NJ), but I wouldn't want to do it every day; the Leadership Team all meet in NJ once per week, so if I ever get to that point in my experience here (crossing fingers), I don't think I would be too bothered with a once-a-week earlier day / later night.

Anyway, the NJ guys are fun to hang out with!

I think Management should continue to try to identify, address, and integrate the issues experienced between pre-Stripes Group and post-Stripes Group investment employees. The pre-Stripes team, like me (personally) come from a scrappier / DIY background; change can be difficult, but change can be good. I personally feel like I have grown in my role, how good I can be at my job, and my ability to deliver against targets thanks to the required strategy / planning and top-down coaching I have received here; management should continue that, too.

Horrible, horrible place to work

I worked at Folica

Pros

Pros - they are internet savvy (as can be seen by the fake reviews touting Folica as a fabulous place to work), there are free products occasionally, the offices are right in midtown Manhattan.

Cons

Folica's first problem is that it hires people to senior management positions that they are unqualified for in order to be able to pay them less (counting on folks to take the title upgrade as part of the compensation package, which they do). Therefore, leadership is spotty at best, capricious and panic-driven at worst. Second, all the folks there are underpaid--you are given a huge spiel upon hiring about how they want you to be a "part owner" of the company, and how others have taken "huge pay cuts" to take this opportunity. This is nonsense. They pay you less and work you more - please note that office hours are 9 - 6, lunch breaks are frowned upon, and leaving at 6 PM even occasionally is cause for dirty looks. The offices are open; therefore, your comings and goings are constantly monitored. There is zero support, zero praise for work well done. Every "issue" that arises is treated as a five-alarm crisis, and blame is constantly placed--there is no sense of "we are a team and therefore this is our issue;" one person will be singled out as the scapegoat and will be alternately ignored and berated by management until the next fire breaks out. If you are the scapegoat more than once, your job is in jeopardy (whether or not you have a good track record). I was lucky enough to escape this, but witnessed it again and again. Nothing is documented, so issues arise over and over again, which is exacerbated by the fact that every solution is short-, not long-term. Senior management is incredibly hostile and unfriendly.

Treat your people like a team of adults--remember that you hired them to be the expert, and know when to take a step back and say "this is not my area of expertise" instead of dictating every step. Start investing in long-term solutions to the situations that arise, rather than quick-fix bandaids that are going to fall off, even at the expense of short term profits. Start documenting activities and problems, and start solving them one by one--yes, this may cause the short-term profitability of the organization to fall; however, once you lay the problem to rest you wont have to face it again. Don't treat mistakes as capital offenses, and don't make personal attacks (i.e., "you're lazy") when mistakes happen. Look to the staffing if multiple mistakes are being made in a particular department. Praise work well done, and promote from within.

Hostile, unfortunate place to work.

I worked at Folica

Pros

The only perks to working at Folica were the health insurance and free products (though these were often few and far between).

Cons

There were a lot of downsides to working at Folica. The company went from a DIY, employee-centric company with drive and dedication to a corporate stronghold where employees were treated merely as workhorses. There was no formal review process so reviews were random and often unhelpful. Progress is never tracked, promotions are unheard of and raises don't exist. There was very little incentive to improve one's standing with the company with so little support and guidance. Decisions are never quick, giving individual employees very little leeway for raising the bar. HR is non-existent since it's outsourced. There is no sense of community, some employees are rather underhanded. The leadership team needs a lot of work. Instead of fostering relationships with employees, the company tends to simply replace people. Ask the same question to a few different people and you will always receive a different answer. No unity. The company is more concerned with attracting big talent that make use of the talent it already has staffed. The company has grown too quickly without giving thought to structure, hierarchy and community. The interview process is horrendous. People who interview are often left for months without answers. Prospects are simply asked to come in over and over again, references are called without any clue if an offer is coming or how many candidates are in the running. There are incredibly hostile people in positions of power. Nothing is properly planned or sketched out.

I believe that Folica could be a great place to work. However first, leadership needs to recognize that the company is not the entrepreneurial start-up they believe it is but rather with its current size, office politics and general atmosphere it is a corporate beast.

Terrible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dayton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, NJ

I have been working at Folica

Pros

Small, with a dedicated user base for an ecommerce site, scrappy

Cons

Some departments, such as fulfillment are great, and run by experienced Amazon staffers- others, such as engineering are aweful

Be prepared, take notes in meetings (folks often show up to meetings without anything to write with). Respect employees, penny-wise and pound foolish on core business functions like platforms

Layoffs were like a sieve for all the bad employees, good ones left around

I have been working at Folica

Pros

It is back to a lean startup feel with an almost boot strapped kind of financial mentality again. Most of the employees that were contributing to a negative vibe here and affected the culture in a negative way are no longer with the company. All new senior management and a new focus on growth and profitability have helped the vibe.

Cons

Having separate offices, there's still a few remaining folks who have made it through the round of layoffs that are now power tripping and don't know their role. Good thing is most of the great players here know enough to ignore the foolish and clueless. Still some poor decisions made because of this, but overall not such a bad environment.

Customer service and operations makes some poor decisions and the attitude of those leading those departments has been trickling down and rubbing off on CSRs and lower run OPS folks. This causes a poor overall experience for customers. Those leading this department seem to have an inferiority complex and is over compensating unfortunately to the detriment of how the company is viewed both internally and externally.

Worked for Folica? Contribute to the Community!