Follett Corp.

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mary Lee Schneider

Follett Fun as a Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee discount is 20% on most items except food. Location is probably on a university campus, my location is very central. The style of management and policies are based on customer satisfaction. Great values and a great place to work.

ConsTraining is mostly online and some what repetitive. Some holidays you may have to work, but very rare when that happens. You cannot approach a customer stealing and ask them for the merchandise back.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Toxic Work Environment

Sales (Current Employee) McHenry, IL

Pros"Regular" employees work very hard and are good people. Paid time off is generous, however workload is so great that it is difficult to break away.

ConsPoor strategic planning
    Upper management has unrealistic expectations and is very disconnected
    Very low morale amongst employees
    Inadequate tools to do job - company has merged three divisions and did get get proper systems in place first, which is causing many issues internally
    Company is not loyal to employees and does not seem to value those that work hard
    Low pay
    Good people continue to resign, leaving minimal resources and greater room for inaccuracies

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved in the day to day and you will realize the issues. Recognize employees for hard work. Stop making decisions without understanding the full impact. Those that work the hardest only receive more work. Hardworking, valuable, loyal employees are going to continue to give up on the company because it is doing everything to promote a toxic workplace. Human Resource department is practically nonexistent and does not provide assistance to employees. They defer all issues and questions to Corporate or department management.

Union shop that makes medical appliances

Proseasy work with available overtime

Constwo tier wage system which takes a decade to get to top rate

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly good, but some bad.

Temporary Bookstore Clerk (Current Employee) Dunwoody, GA

ProsFlexible schedule, full time staff is competent and helpful, fun job helping college students buy their books.

ConsLow pay, training too general, many of the temporary workers have a poor work ethic.

Good Company to Work For

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McHenry, IL

ProsGood work/life balance, long-service employees, communication is getting better, good tools and resources, employees live the corporate values, benefits are competitive, hourly wages and some salaries are at market.

ConsPaternalistic culture, so performance and behavior problems aren't always dealt with in a timely manner. It takes a long time for decisions to be made, so projects can drag on. Some salaries are below market. Not a lot of advancement opportunities in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve communication, and make decisions faster. Continue to upgrade technology.

I would have never left but the company changed

Account Manager (Former Employee)

Pros7 years ago this was a great company to work for.

ConsThe company culture has completely changed. They are focused on sales numbers and quotas rather than providing customers with exceptional service as they did when the company was still run by the founding family.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your customers the focus of your business decisions.

Very flexible with work and life

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThey are constantly developing their employees. Always are willing to listen to new ideas.

ConsLow pay and store manager didn't communicate with employees

Its a paycheck

Associate (Current Employee) Easton, PA

ProsDecent pay for senior workers (new hires get a lower rate), decent benefits, stable business even through recession, niche business.

ConsDouble standard between union and office employees, too many meetings while problems don't improve, company does not listen to its workers to improve processes, top heavy office, management reinvests in business but offers no perks to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale counts for a lot, improve this and your employees get more productive. Remember that saying about attracting more flies with honey?

Follett

Floor Associate (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA

Proshard worker, independent, nice person, and enthusiatic for work.

Consnothing to hard to handle

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Management cannot take criticism

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McHenry, IL

ProsIt might be a short drive. Benefits package is okay. Generally give raises every year. A lot of people do not have to move very quickly, so if you get a manager who likes you, you may not have to do very much.

ConsNo opportunities for advancement unless you have been branded by some unknown assessment criteria. There is no actual assessment of employee abilities or potential. If you have too much ability senior management might find you threatening. Managers do not take criticism well, and they will respond as a group with intimidation to credible criticism.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey might need to take some classes in personnel management, communication, and business strategy. They tend to mumble, crab, or overeagerly praise associates. They own the school library market, had many opportunities to capitalize on other markets, and were happy to ride the library market.

Worked for Follett Corp.? Contribute to the Community!