Follett Higher Education Group

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
2.8

Don Germano

Pros
  • Work life balance during slow times of the year (in 9 reviews)

• Get to meet people and interact with fellow college students (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme Theory X management with absolutely no trust of its managers by home office (in 15 reviews)

• Really low pay of course which is typical of retail (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

It was okay...

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group

Pros

-Decent pay
    -Employee Discount
    -Overall good work environment

Cons

-Very Tedious
    -In my case, I would hear other people in management talking about me behind my back. Not that I care, I just felt it was unprofessional.

Good growth opportunities at an understanding company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the flexibility in scheduling here and I had plenty of opportunities to work more or less hours as needed. Some of the management lacked professionalism but others were fantastic and created teams that excelled in the store.

Cons

The pay. After working there four years, working outside at football games, creating training materials, going above and beyond- I only received .50 in increases. Some management needed take more courses in communication and appropriate relationships.

Reward employees who do well, at least show more recognition. There was no incentive to do well.

Not interested in employee development

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good jobs for part time and temporary employees like students

Cons

Management doesn't develop current employees but will hire new ones to develop.

You have long term employees with expertise in the business that have been ignored. Most are willing to learn from you to make the company great again, given the chance.

It is a great place to work, thanks to management.

Current Employee - Sales Associate I in Teaneck, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate I in Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only thing that makes me want to work is that my manager actually cares about her employees and never acts as a "Manager" in terms of Tyrannical or bossy. Instead everything is always asked nicely, even when the specific task is not very nice, which makes it a pleasure to work here.

Cons

The pay isn't fantastic at all especially during "rush" season, where students (customers) come in droves expecting premium quality service and get a little bit obnoxious. But working in retail it is expected, it is just really difficult to maintain that customer friendly attitude when you you are getting paid very little. Also as a sales associate there are other responsibilities that demand higher pay. Work-life balance is good, very flexible schedule.

Pay your small employees more, common sense, they make up your entire sales and work force, happy employees = happy customers = more sales.

Great while in college.

Current Employee - Team Lead Floor Ops in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Team Lead Floor Ops in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great hours, have never worked past 7 PM and only work the occasional weekend.

Cons

Limited room to advance. As a leader in the college bookstore industry Follett depends greatly on the work of students on campus. This is a great opportunity for student work however Follett knows that you will probably only be there a short time and are taking advantage of walking to work. This means that the pay is low and they do not reward loyal employees with adequate raises in pay. often newer employees are paid more than employees that have been there for years. like I said great part-time on campus work though.

It was a great company to work for if you enjoy helping customers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get a 10% discount

Cons

No communication between Management in terms how to improve on being a better Sales Associate. Training was not satisfactory.

Pay attention to some of your employee feedbacks

Easy job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time

Pros

Easy job, worked great around student college schedules.

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Too many managers, and they micro-manage hard. No room for advancement as a student as managers have worked there over 10 years, at least.

Listen to your student employees, empower them. They are training to be professionals in the field. They have fresh educated brains. Give them some responsibility, they can handle it!

Company in trouble

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was good and in the beginning, we had some wonderful perks.

Cons

Our whole team was outsourced to India. All the great perks had disappeared.

Keep our American jobs in the United States!!!!

Easy going

Current Employee - Bookstore Associate in Newtown, PA
    Current Employee - Bookstore Associate in Newtown, PA

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to meet people and interact with fellow college students

Cons

Hourly wage of 8.25 when my same co-worker gets paid 9.79.

Treat everyone equally.

company was great in the beginning but went way down hill fast!!!

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

no pros left for this company. The company during Tom Christopher's reign was great to work for. There was proper training, and home staff in place to help you. There were core values set in place that meant something. This no longer is the case

Cons

In a dying industry this company took a turn in the wrong direction. Not only did they miss the boat on how to implement a business plan that went with the times, they also lost sight of the value of their hardest workers and most loyal employees. The upper management no longer has any clue what they are doing. Inexperience rules the day! Follett's values no longer exist and it's no longer a company worth working for. They have some regional managers that have no clue what they are doing, and throw their store managers under the bus when they make a mistake. They will lie to make themselves look good. Drastically cutting labor and expecting managers to do the work of 10 people is insane and unfair to the employees. They no longer follow the Follett values and definitely do not respect their employees.

too little, too late! The only advice I can give is to potential employees...DON'T DO IT! Find a career somewhere else because this company won't be around much longer. I give it 5 more years at best!!