Follett Higher Education Group

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Don Germano

Pros:
  • "Flexible work schedules for students"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Work life balance during slow times of the year"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Penny pinchers at home office out of touch with store needs"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Upper management out of touch with the modern University/College students wants and needs"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

My Temporary Job

Temporary Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Sanford, FL

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time for less than a year

ProsMy manager, Donna Collins, is absolutely amazing. I am a temporary associate at the bookstore at Seminole State College main campus and will be starting my second season there. I love it!

ConsThe only con is that this isn't a permanent job. Also, Donna really needs an assistant manager. I wish I could have assisted her with that. She really needs the help.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive Donna Collins an Assistant Manager. She deserves it.

Department Manager

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group

ProsThe company offered a decent benefits and training

Conslack of growth and development

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Good Experience

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have great benefits and I love working in the college environment. The compensation is good for the area I'm in.

ConsI am not sure of the company direction right now. The leadership has changed drastically over the last year. I feel like they want more out of management with less and less hours given to other staff.

Love working here

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Friendly
- Team bonding
- Communication

Cons- No customers in the store makes the day go by slowly

Humbling Experience

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagement and co-workers are the best around. Flexible scheduling even when short staffed. Always someone there to aid with customer problems and to vent to.

ConsNo real communication between the bookstore and the college. Same goes for corporate and the bookstore. Policies are never really explained but are expected to be enforced even when it seems to only inhibit the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to corporate would be to spend more time with bookstore management listening and meeting their needs.

Good college job, bad career.

Cashier (Former Employee)
West Lafayette, IN

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group part-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was a great opportunity to work part-time and be near campus.

ConsCorporate's response to the decrease in textbook sales lead to about half of management at my store losing their jobs. I feel like there could have been more strategy with decreasing costs instead of just the newest members of management losing their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at quality not length of time at the company.

It's gone downhill.

ASM (Current Employee)

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Mon-Fri schedule is the best reason to work here.

ConsLow pay, hours during Rush, perfection expected at all times and human mistakes not taken lightly, bonus taken away from ASM posittion but still given to all other management positions, constant conflicting messages. It would help if the Store Manager was a leader and not just a manager.

Disorganized Crash Course

Course Materials Manager I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group full-time for less than a year

ProsSteady job, but other than that I have not been much impressed with this company and find little to really rave about.

ConsMay vary from store to store, but training is at best teach-yourself and so many details change from store location to store location that most corporate-mandated training is more of a waste of time than anything else. Also, recent corporate changes have created an atmosphere of instability.

Advice to Senior ManagementStores need more support from corporate, the two seem disconnected and most corporate decisions seem to have little practical applications in the stores themselves.

To many demands from upper management, not enough staff

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people you work with in the store are great.

ConsUpper Management seems to think the stores can operate with half the staff needed. Way to much work to be done on the computer with little help. This company is running off a lot of good people because they expect store managers to operate a store with little or no staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop nick picking the stores to death. If you want a perfect store then allow store managers to hire enough people to have a perfect store. Upper management needs to take a page out of "Undercover Boss" and try working the stores during busy times. See what its like to work a 16 hour day with little or no thank you. Also, salaried employees can not control the weather. When you have a ice storm and the university is closed, so is the store. The company requires employees to take a vacation day for each day store is closed. Not right, Not fair. Most salaried employees do not work 40 hours for your company. Most work 50-60 hours a week but still paid based on a 40 hour week. Learn to treat your people right.

I Love Working At A Bookstore!

Seasonal Temp (Current Employee)

ProsGreat at scheduling work around your school schedule
Discounts!
Best management team I have ever worked with
Best coworkers anywhere

ConsHours - really busy, full time hours the first two weeks of classes, but then the hours taper off significantly during the middle of the semester.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutstanding !

Worked for Follett Higher Education Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Follett Higher Education Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Follett Higher Education Group CEO Don Germano . All 191 reviews posted anonymously by Follett Higher Education Group employees.