Follett Higher Education Group

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
2.8

Don Germano

Pros
  • Work life balance during slow times of the year (in 9 reviews)

• The work environment was fun because the staff was happy (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Extreme Theory X management with absolutely no trust of its managers by home office (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management no longer has any clue what they are doing (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a great experience.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You seem to get some degree of freedom to be creative and organize things the way you think is smart and would help sales. You get some vacation pay, even though I have no idea how to cash it in or use it.

Cons

I first want to say, I'm not one of these whiny people that only post negative reviews because something dumb happened to me. I'm giving my full, honest review of this company.

There's a big gap between front line employees and upper management. The District manager would come in twice a year and not say one word or even shake the hands of the sales associates. He'd speak to the Store manager and that's it. For a company to not appreciate their employees like that, it really makes you feel worthless to them. Just another part time employee (if you could even call it part time) that's gonna give them hard work for little pay and no benefits. Buyback and rush weeks are the worst, and when you pair that with little pay, and no appreciation beyond the store manager, you start to really see the company for what it is.

Also, the systems are antiquated, leaving an unnecessary burden on employees. The way hours are allocated is ridiculous and unpredictable. I may have 15 hours one week and then 8 the next. The way they restock is downright stupid. You have too much of what you don't need and not enough of what you do need. They throw money into worthless stock like the snackclub trail mixes and nuts that never sold at our store, and then replenished it after we had to throw 80% of it away. It's just a mess, and I don't see how they're making money to be honest.

Why can't you reach out to the employees you SHOULD be valuing the most? Who do you think is the main link between your customers and your income? They are the most important people in that company, and to not reach down and pat them on the back, require district managers to meet and interact with employees or do anything to help motivation is a huge no no for any company. As a business graduate, I'm very unimpressed. Update your computers, figure out how to stock like a smart company would, and make hours more predictable for these poor college students!

Easy going

Current Employee - Bookstore Associate in Newtown, PA
    Current Employee - Bookstore Associate in Newtown, PA

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to meet people and interact with fellow college students

Cons

Hourly wage of 8.25 when my same co-worker gets paid 9.79.

Treat everyone equally.

Wonderful because I had a great manager

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group part-time

Pros

Lot of scope for any background t move around in the organization

Cons

Not too highly qualified people
    Staff politics

Need some IT investment and changes in strategy to see it survive in the future.
    New fresh ideas needed and change of old habits

company was great in the beginning but went way down hill fast!!!

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

no pros left for this company. The company during Tom Christopher's reign was great to work for. There was proper training, and home staff in place to help you. There were core values set in place that meant something. This no longer is the case

Cons

In a dying industry this company took a turn in the wrong direction. Not only did they miss the boat on how to implement a business plan that went with the times, they also lost sight of the value of their hardest workers and most loyal employees. The upper management no longer has any clue what they are doing. Inexperience rules the day! Follett's values no longer exist and it's no longer a company worth working for. They have some regional managers that have no clue what they are doing, and throw their store managers under the bus when they make a mistake. They will lie to make themselves look good. Drastically cutting labor and expecting managers to do the work of 10 people is insane and unfair to the employees. They no longer follow the Follett values and definitely do not respect their employees.

too little, too late! The only advice I can give is to potential employees...DON'T DO IT! Find a career somewhere else because this company won't be around much longer. I give it 5 more years at best!!

Manager Trainee

Current Employee - Field Manager
    Current Employee - Field Manager

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group full-time

Pros

There are some great people and their is some hope with the new initiatives the company is trying to implement

Cons

Senior management is a mess, the industry is on the brink of collapse and it is every man for himself. Very much, an old boys club, new people keep getting hired but aren't allowed to progress if they don't kiss up to what old timers think is the right way. Independent thought, problem solving, and innovation is not valued. Employees are not encouraged to think for themselves and be innovative. Overall it is a sinking ship. They will lure you with all of these false promises that never materialize. They will expect you to work crazy amounts of hours and give you a minuscule salary.

Utilize the talent that you have to make a difference and improve your business. Out with the old, in with the new. Change the upper management so that the company is more cohesive. Encourage innovation and independent thinking.

Dying industry means less training less success

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great Benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Not very good training
    Consantly changing documentation processes
    Not a growing company

You can't get more out of your employees if you do not invest more time in them. I received less than marginal training and poor follow up from my superior. This is for older salesman to retire, but not for young up and coming.

Working at Follett was better 2 years ago

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group

Pros

Teams seem to work well. Great location in Oak Brook area.

Cons

Sr management is no longer accessible to the various teams. Great deal of focus on moving IT things off-shore

Follett

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's an alright place to work while you are in school because they will be flexible with your hours and give you shifts that aren't during your classes.

Cons

You are probably not going to make enough money to live off of at all because you will only get about 20 hours a week. If you do somehow manage to get close to 40 hours a week, they'll send you home before allowing you to get overtime.

Try allowing overtime, and try paying better than minimum wage.

Corporate giant used to be the best to work for, but now relies on cost saving measures over customer service.

I have been working at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No holiday/Christmas shopping rush, outstanding medical benefits at low cost, some potential for advancement, some opportunity for professional development, great shopping discounts in stores, opportunities for fun out-of-store special events like operating sales at college sporting events.

Cons

Corporate office team and retail teams don't communicate effectively, retail stores must run on far too little staff, very low salaries/compensation packages compared to other companies in the industry, for those who have been with the company long-term, evidence of major changes for the worse are apparent throughout the organization.

It would be wonderful if Follett would reorganize the salary schedule. After the "job slotting" project in 2011, the company took a major turn toward salaries and compensation packages that are far too low to sustain the right talent. Also, it would be really smart at this juncture to allow stores more labor hours to actually support a fully-staffed operation, which is not possible at present. Stores should not risk LP issues just to assure they're meeting labor budgets, but right now that is exactly what's happening.

Micromanaged to the extreme (customer service department located in Aurora)

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL

I worked at Follett Higher Education Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are really fun. They can be somewhat flexible with start and end times. The worklife balance is great.. you never really take anything home with you. the benefits are amazing

Cons

It's very hard to move up. They really don't have many open positions so you're left as a temp for ages before "budget" allows more to be hired, even though they are completely understaffed. you are micromanaged to the extreme. They listen to your calls, monitor what you're doing on your computer, constantly walk around and just stare at what you're doing. management is useless... you tell the. something and they want you to go to the supervisors instead of dealing with it. Supervisors do nothing but sit around and chit chat.. especially the Senior reps.... as if they're free to do anything.

maybe roll out training BEFORE we actually start taking calls. fight for more opportunities for your employees.