Follett Reviews

Reset
2.9
Follett President/CEO Ray A. Griffith
Ray A. Griffith

Pros
  • Good work life balance at the bookstores aren't usually open as much or often as a regular retail store (in 5 reviews)

• flexible hours if you're a student (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems to have not a clue about what is going on at the everyday worker level (in 7 reviews)

• No benefits or perks for part time employees (in 5 reviews)

1. Lots and Lots of Change

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Follett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leader in K12, privately owned, good benefits, decent pay. Very strong foot hold in the K12 space.

Cons

Follett has recently completed a long term plan to merge three separate companies in to one. The result of this has been a revolving door of leadership. Before the merger each of the three companies were hitting their revenue targets. Over the past three years since the merger to One Follett the company has fell short of it's revenue targets. For those who are keeping the faith and hanging on there could be a light at the end of the tunnel. However, the best talent is leaving because patience has worn thin.

Advice to Management

No advice.

Like my job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in McHenry, IL

I worked at Follett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, nice place to work, good wages, great work load.

Cons

My only con with the company is that I was extremely frustrated by the way their promotions worked. After speaking to a manager to why I was passed up for 3 separate promotional department changes I applied for, I was told that I didn't have strong interviewing skills. What do interviewing skills have to do with my actual performance because I had been helping in those departments for a long time.

Advice to Management

Give people who proven their worth through time, dedication and results a chance at getting a promotion rather than bringing someone from the outside or who know the right people.

3. Great Place to work

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Follett

Pros

Competitive pay, great portfolio, and great leadership. Have worked for this company for nearly 9 years and have been promoted 3 times. Started in the warehouse and worked my way up. They paid for a good chunk of my school as well. I see many complaints from sales reps that quit. This is because they were overcompensated for their positions and had to learn new skills. The educational climate is changing and Follett is trying to adapt. If they can't adapt too then they can look elsewhere. Good luck finding a better job in the industry.

Cons

Education is changing with EdTech and not sure if they are moving fast enough. Will be interesting to see if Follett will get the right content in time to keep up with shifts.

Advice to Management

Stop relying on only publishers for content. Need to start partnering with assessment companies.

5. Cashier/Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Follett part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a little of every job in the store

Cons

no real cons for me

6. Director

I worked at Follett full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Historically a very good company.

Cons

Currently out of alignment. Needs strong leadership.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Follett part-time

Pros

Pay you to the minute that you're there, flexible, always opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

In my opinion we are under-payed for the amount of work we do every day. We should be making more than $9.50 an hour.

Advice to Management

They should have a game plan for associates daily. Of what needs to be done by the end of the day. So no time is wasted.

8. Solid part time job

I have been working at Follett part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are easy to get along with and management is easy to talk too

Cons

You are either super busy or doing nothing

Advice to Management

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one, Occam's razor

9. Hell in McHenry.

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in McHenry, IL

I worked at Follett full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started out as a good company to work for with paid time off and promise for advancement... However...

Cons

Advancement is nearly impossible as they bring in family to take the high paying jobs. They restructure compensation payouts to reduce line workers pay checks while the Follett families and friends receive bonuses for new over luxurious cars. People aren't respected who work themselves to the bone to try to make the company profitable. Health care contributions continue to rise ever year I worked there.

Human resources are rude and not there to support the workers, but to support the ones running the company. People get threatened to be fired if they speak of unionizing and collective bargaining.

Follett will soon be a foot print in the mud, as more successfully driven companies take over there customer base.

Advice to Management

Look to the people, not to your family and friends to run the company. Maybe you can dig yourself out of a downward spiral.

10. Store manager

I worked at Follett

Pros

Enjoyed working with students and faculty.

Cons

Upper management in company clueless as to "on the floor" operations. To worried about numbers on the spreadsheet. Not able to order product needed. Corporate sent product that would never sell so we would discount it in 6 months or throw it out. Example...suntan location for a school that had no dorms. Never sold a bottle.

Advice to Management

Wake up or you will be just like blockbuster.

11. Clerk

I worked at Follett part-time

Pros

The people have always been and always will be the best part of any workplace in Chico. Specifically, most if not all of Follett's employees are fraternity of sorority girls which makes their workplace fairly social.

Cons

Everything about them is about delegation. They are terrible at training you themselves and the manager of the individual store doesn't know how to train its clerk employees. This is especially important in newly transitioned stores.

Advice to Management

Learn to teach your employees. Also give your employees some lee-way. Every Follett store that I have seen has been 100% micromanaged. Many employees need to make mistakes on their own to learn how to do something properly.

RSS Feed </> Embed