Follett Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
86 reviews filtered by
2.7
Mary Lee Schneider

Pros
  • Good work life balance at the bookstores aren't usually open as much or often as a regular retail store (in 5 reviews)

• good pay, flexible hours and wonderful people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems to have not a clue about what is going on at the everyday worker level (in 7 reviews)

• No benefits or perks for part time employees (in 5 reviews)

1. A lot of disorganization and lack of up to date technology.

I have been working at Follett part-time (more than a year)

Pros

People are great, personal growth, cross training, great upper management

Cons

Lack of current technology, training modules, miscommunication

There needs to be a massive improvement on older stores getting a technology update; slow computers and old software is not efficient when providing the best customer service.

2. The company is full of dedicated, caring people who are underpaid for the amount of work required on the front lines.

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Follett full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the moment, only the people. They have started to make positive changes from what former co-workers have said.

Cons

The company is family owned, and traditionally reluctant to pay for technological upgrades and true innovation, even though selling textbooks is dependent on web business. Also, the new management they bring in is typically coming from companies like Sears, which instills little confidence.

Make some truly radical strategy adjustments to avoid being swallowed alive by Amazon and Chegg.

3. Temporary Associate

I worked at Follett

Pros

Salary is fine as a part-time job

Cons

Work environment is not good

Try to find a better job if you can

5. Great sales experience for learning many different aspects of PreK-12 industry

Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant

I have been working at Follett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Able to make an impact with Education and Educators through products and services provided
    Flexibility and ability to work out of home office.
    Ample time off to be with family

Cons

Sales Management is not sales oriented.
    Technology related products lack the benefit of implementation services with our customers to make products and services more readily utilized.
    Portfolio of products is too vast to allow for brand recognition with some areas in the industry.

Reevaluate your strategy for retaining top talented associates.
    Provide more career advancement opportunities.
    Listen to the people that are close to the field on what is needed to ensure success within market
    Provide more attractive bonus structure and compensation plan to retain top sales associates.
    Get back to the Follett Values that make the company great
    Rely less on CRM data responsible for unattainable quotas and unrealistic product line revenue.

6. very good atmosphere, fun to work there

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Follett

Pros

very good atmosphere, fun to work there

Cons

there can be some perks

7. Temp. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Follett

Pros

Quick hiring process
    Easy interview
    Nice environment

Cons

Terrible Pay
    Constant busy work
    Older employees are not nearly as micromanaged when they should be

Be more sure of your position and don't allow yourself to be undercut by older lower level staff

8. Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Follett

Pros

Provides excellent customer service both in person and mail-order.

Cons

Low pay compared to other industry positions.

IT Support

I have been working at Follett full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great home office location, and open work-space.

Cons

Lack of training, no organization, no personal growth, no leadership direction. Favoritism is heavily practiced here.

Get organized, offer training, listen to employees.

Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Middle Management in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Middle Management in McHenry, IL

I worked at Follett full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Non that I found except for wonderful cafeteria folks I really miss.

Cons

I was hired just as the new CEO was starting to put her touches on the company. I have B.A. And M.B.A and was hired to make certain efficiency changes which I did and doubled department productivity while halfing errors and rework. That all in less than a year. Simply put, my boss and her boss did everything in their power to take credit for my work including writing me up for crap I did not do and blaming me for problems that were never my responsibility. They lied to senior management that when I took my (pre-arranged) vacation I was absent without permission and I failed to call in everyday as required in their ridiculous employee manual. When my review came around I was given 1 or 2 (3 being normal range) on all my goals and objectives. In 15 years working I have never had a rating excellent, I'm a hard worker.

I could not allow any of these lies to stand so after hiring a lawyer I filed and official complaint with HR. I had ample proof and documentation to prove they lied about my performance, took credit for my work and informed senior management that I was untrustworthy, unreliable and should be demoted or fired. After a few months HR came back to me and said my claims could not be substantiated and that was it. My lawyer helped me write my complaint and organize the proof which in his words would win us a suit in court. HR is nothing more than senior managements stooges.

I have not decided to sue yet as I found a wonderful job with great people. But be warned that folks will lie about you if it helps them. The values statement we all sign is horse dung because no one is held accountable when they violate it. They lie about performance and anything else they can if it helps them. This was the single worst experience of my life and having talked with my Follett peers and subordinates, these actions happen company wide. Sure, there are folks, clerks that do their job and really care about most of this but, I am a person of conscience and when I see injustice I can't stand idle.

Stay away from these idiots because that is what they are. At this pace the company will not survive. Ethics, integrity and honesty are values I uphold but they are clueless to their very existence.

Promote, educate and train those clerks and workers that make that company run smoothly day in and out. They understand what it takes to succeed and won't blame others for their mistakes. Non of you have a clue as to what's going on. Actually I take that back. The fact that you don't care and it continues tells me more about you than that resume you have on the website or the words you spit out at the town hall meetings that always falls short of action. Better yet, all of retire an let people who truly care take over. You should all be ashamed.

Store Manager

I worked at Follett

Pros

Great compensation. great work/life blanace

Cons

so many changes. With new upper management the "family oriented" environment has disappeared

Follett Photos