Follett

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.5

Mary Lee Schneider

Pros
  • Good work life balance at the bookstores aren't usually open as much or often as a regular retail store (in 5 reviews)

• good pay, flexible hours and wonderful people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems to have not a clue about what is going on at the everyday worker level (in 7 reviews)

• No benefits or perks for part time employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Temp. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Follett

Pros

Quick hiring process
    Easy interview
    Nice environment

Cons

Terrible Pay
    Constant busy work
    Older employees are not nearly as micromanaged when they should be

Be more sure of your position and don't allow yourself to be undercut by older lower level staff

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Follett

Pros

Provides excellent customer service both in person and mail-order.

Cons

Low pay compared to other industry positions.

IT Support

I have been working at Follett full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great home office location, and open work-space.

Cons

Lack of training, no organization, no personal growth, no leadership direction. Favoritism is heavily practiced here.

Get organized, offer training, listen to employees.

Worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Middle Management in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Middle Management in McHenry, IL

I worked at Follett full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Non that I found except for wonderful cafeteria folks I really miss.

Cons

I was hired just as the new CEO was starting to put her touches on the company. I have B.A. And M.B.A and was hired to make certain efficiency changes which I did and doubled department productivity while halfing errors and rework. That all in less than a year. Simply put, my boss and her boss did everything in their power to take credit for my work including writing me up for crap I did not do and blaming me for problems that were never my responsibility. They lied to senior management that when I took my (pre-arranged) vacation I was absent without permission and I failed to call in everyday as required in their ridiculous employee manual. When my review came around I was given 1 or 2 (3 being normal range) on all my goals and objectives. In 15 years working I have never had a rating excellent, I'm a hard worker.

I could not allow any of these lies to stand so after hiring a lawyer I filed and official complaint with HR. I had ample proof and documentation to prove they lied about my performance, took credit for my work and informed senior management that I was untrustworthy, unreliable and should be demoted or fired. After a few months HR came back to me and said my claims could not be substantiated and that was it. My lawyer helped me write my complaint and organize the proof which in his words would win us a suit in court. HR is nothing more than senior managements stooges.

I have not decided to sue yet as I found a wonderful job with great people. But be warned that folks will lie about you if it helps them. The values statement we all sign is horse dung because no one is held accountable when they violate it. They lie about performance and anything else they can if it helps them. This was the single worst experience of my life and having talked with my Follett peers and subordinates, these actions happen company wide. Sure, there are folks, clerks that do their job and really care about most of this but, I am a person of conscience and when I see injustice I can't stand idle.

Stay away from these idiots because that is what they are. At this pace the company will not survive. Ethics, integrity and honesty are values I uphold but they are clueless to their very existence.

Promote, educate and train those clerks and workers that make that company run smoothly day in and out. They understand what it takes to succeed and won't blame others for their mistakes. Non of you have a clue as to what's going on. Actually I take that back. The fact that you don't care and it continues tells me more about you than that resume you have on the website or the words you spit out at the town hall meetings that always falls short of action. Better yet, all of retire an let people who truly care take over. You should all be ashamed.

Store Manager

I worked at Follett

Pros

Great compensation. great work/life blanace

Cons

so many changes. With new upper management the "family oriented" environment has disappeared

Unhappy camper

I worked at Follett full-time

Pros

Sales force very friendly; sometimes free books

Cons

The leadership doesn't know where it is going. Politics, politics, politics. They act first and think later.

Be honest and ethical.

Learning experience

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Follett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice and willing to help you

Cons

Stretched to thin after layoffs

Hire additional help

AVOID FOLLETT AT ALL COSTS

Former Employee - Information Technology Manager in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Information Technology Manager in Westchester, IL

I worked at Follett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Follett was once a great place to work. Hard working, dedicated and loyal employees, decent pay and great work / life balance.

Cons

Ever since the change at the CEO and President level the company is on a crash course to bankruptcy. They have been forcing out the people to made Follett successful and replacing them with the people who have killed Sears and Kmart. IT has been outsourcing everything to India and, which has already failed for many other companies.

Advice to the Board, fire MLS as soon as possible if there is any hope at all of saving Follett.

Was once a great company

Current Employee - Human Resources in River Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in River Grove, IL

I have been working at Follett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I liked my co-workers; good teamwork

Cons

poor management, low pay, lack of accountability, bully managers

You've stepped up and moved from Casual Gamer to Full Out Final Level Boss Battle Mode

I have been working at Follett

Pros

Challenge. If you crave work that is truly challenging with tough goals to work after, and have trouble closing your laptop and can't wait until the morning then you will accel here. Rewards are given based upon performance which is far.

Cons

You can burn out quickly if you are not used to this type of work environment. If you're a shark, you will do great here and be promoted through the ranks.

Follett Photos