Follett

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.6

Mary Lee Schneider

Pros
  • Good work life balance at the bookstores aren't usually open as much or often as a regular retail store (in 5 reviews)

• good pay, flexible hours and wonderful people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems to have not a clue about what is going on at the everyday worker level (in 7 reviews)

• No benefits or perks for part time employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Follett

Pros

Provides excellent customer service both in person and mail-order.

Cons

Low pay compared to other industry positions.

Store Manager

I worked at Follett

Pros

Great compensation. great work/life blanace

Cons

so many changes. With new upper management the "family oriented" environment has disappeared

Learning experience

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at Follett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice and willing to help you

Cons

Stretched to thin after layoffs

Hire additional help

Unhappy camper

I worked at Follett full-time

Pros

Sales force very friendly; sometimes free books

Cons

The leadership doesn't know where it is going. Politics, politics, politics. They act first and think later.

Be honest and ethical.

AVOID FOLLETT AT ALL COSTS

Former Employee - Information Technology Manager in Westchester, IL
    Former Employee - Information Technology Manager in Westchester, IL

I worked at Follett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Follett was once a great place to work. Hard working, dedicated and loyal employees, decent pay and great work / life balance.

Cons

Ever since the change at the CEO and President level the company is on a crash course to bankruptcy. They have been forcing out the people to made Follett successful and replacing them with the people who have killed Sears and Kmart. IT has been outsourcing everything to India and, which has already failed for many other companies.

Advice to the Board, fire MLS as soon as possible if there is any hope at all of saving Follett.

Was once a great company

Current Employee - Human Resources in River Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in River Grove, IL

I have been working at Follett full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I liked my co-workers; good teamwork

Cons

poor management, low pay, lack of accountability, bully managers

You've stepped up and moved from Casual Gamer to Full Out Final Level Boss Battle Mode

I have been working at Follett

Pros

Challenge. If you crave work that is truly challenging with tough goals to work after, and have trouble closing your laptop and can't wait until the morning then you will accel here. Rewards are given based upon performance which is far.

Cons

You can burn out quickly if you are not used to this type of work environment. If you're a shark, you will do great here and be promoted through the ranks.

This was a great job to have during school.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Follett part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work around class schedule, nice coworkers, good employee discounts.

Cons

not much chance for career advancement

spending a little more time on training the associates would help significantly

Dickensian Gulags Right here in 'Murica

Former Employee - Team Leader in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Follett full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We were paid money for our services while there. After years as a salaried employee, my eyes were opened to the true horrors of being an hourly working in the US. This new Nihilistic worldview, while sad, has enabled me to see the institutionalized abuse of the US labor force and systematic dismantling of the middle class/class mobility. They gave me the hate that drives my life's crusade.

Cons

Unreasonable policies, policies upon policies, upon policies -- so many no human could remember them all. Most delivered verbally, never written down -- and but ONE penalty for any violation: termination. Hence all of us served at the mercy of our half-to-fully insane masters. No one was safe, employees were fired as examples, or simply on a whim. No mercy, no concern, no consideration for the employee's value to the company, the cost of retraining a new person, the loss of experience...

Managers behaved erratically, in a maddening way and it spread like a disease down through the ranks. My job was often threatened for having not done some random task that had no relation to my job position, nor could I have had any way of knowing it even needed to be done... Literally.

This was their modus operandi -- crush your morale and self-esteem by convincing the employees that *they* were not good enough. Changing the "quality control" standards, so you're products got sent back to you over and over, and then you get dinged for that and no raise this year... And so on and so on.

The plant president -- LITERALLY, I am not misusing that word; I am speaking of actual facts that happened -- was a big game hunter and had 2 snarling taxedermed HYENAS in his office, flanking the chairs where visitors would sit. Dead stuffed animals in a "professional" workplace.

There were bomb threats, death threats, lock downs... So many disgruntled employees (remember all the arbitrary firings? After they pile up for a while, you're bound to stumble on someone taking it worse than most) that they had to hired armed security guards to patrol the halls and parking lots. To protect the managers from the madmen who would do them in.

And I, having exhausted every scrap of emotional energy I had carpet bombing the countryside with copies of my resume, desperate to escape before their madness seeped into my head... I was drinking myself to sleep 5 nights a week. Sunday through Thursday nights to be exact -- the only way I could get to sleep on nights before I knew I had to go back in there. And through that horrible cycle of drinking, depression and hangover I caught myself secretly rooting for the "psychopaths" that threatened to shoot the place up. Even if they killed me in the crossfire, I thought... it would be worth it if even *one* of those maniacs who so cruelly lorded over us could be taken out.

I have been out of that horrible place for years. I have a wonderful new job, yet I am *literally* still in therapy (and on several anti-anxiety drugs) because of the damage done by that institution.

I was inspired to write this review because I learned that a colleague from BWI/Follett committed suicide last Wednesday. Seriously.

No amount of money is worth the mind games those people play.

Repent.
    Give all your worldly possessions to charity.
    Commit suicide.

Cares about employees

I worked at Follett

Pros

Bonuses, and great regional managers

Cons

The company is great but you are a contract vendor and it is sometimes hard to please staff and faculty

Have to be flexible and even tempered

Follett Photos