Follett Software Company

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Simona Rollinson

"The Gilded Days are in FSC's rearview mirror"

Sales Representative (Former Employee) McHenry, IL

Pros+friendly, hometown people
    +competitive base salaries, generous uncapped commissions
    +many employees have a long tenure at FSC

Cons-Unclear direction for the future of FSC
    -Poor M&A decisions have led to products that don't represent FSC's reputation for quality
    -Unfocused corporate direction has led to development of products that don't represent the need of the marketplace
    -Challenges in recruiting the best problem solvers and innovative thinkers due to location and culture of the company. Corporate culture does not reward out-of-the-box change agents, and so they leave or are fired after a short tenure

Advice to Senior ManagementFSC does not have the "brand name" outside of the library that you believe it does. Moving too far away from the core business will dilute the established brand/customer satisfaction you do have.
    FSC needs to hire real change agents and innovators to figure out the "next big thing." Maintaining an insular boys' club is a certain way to ultimately fail.

Stable employment in an industry that we can be proud of, with a low-turnover environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McHenry, IL

ProsWorking for a company whose aim is to help the K-12 education market make better use of its money and resources is a huge source of pride. The service departments strive to understand the needs of the education industry to assure that our products and consultation are on target.
    The company appears to genuinely encourage the ongoing education of its employees, and continues to improve its communication to all associates.
    The low turnover rate provides a foundation for improvements company-wide. With most of its employees highly-skilled at their jobs, historical information is readily available for research and process improvement is the focus, rather than beginner-level training.

ConsThe low turnover rate keeps career advancement to a minimum.
    In response to the economic downturn, most departments are at their minimum number of employees to get the business done - many departments are chronically overworked as a result and work/life balance is no longer a priority.
    FSC does not yet make use of the most recent technology to optimize its ability to provide seamless customer support between departments providing customer contact services.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith customer contact (as opposed to our software products) being viewed as a critical component to acquiring and keeping customers these days, I would recommend supplementing the staff in service departments (so we don't burn out) and investing in current customer-tracking technology for interdepartmental communication.

Good place to work...if you NEVER want to advance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsExcellent benefits, casual work environment...lots of Paid Time Off.

ConsNO career path whatsoever. There is NO opportunity for advancent, although there are plenty of empty promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart respecting the employees that work their fingers to the bone for you.They know what they are doing and deserve opportunity for advancement. They will not stick around if you don't.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Follett Software can be a really fun place to work, if you are a developer.

Software Developer (Current Employee) McHenry, IL

ProsOpen environment, no cubicles for development
    Casual dress
    No overtime
    A lot of knowledge sharing due to Xtreme programming (pair programming)

ConsPromotions are hard to come by.
    Lower salaries than average

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be helpful to ensure that all positions are compensated fairly for their jobs.

Follett Software -- a Great Place to Work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) McHenry, IL

ProsI work with a great group of people and I feel like the work I do is meaningful. Teaming is strong and the sense of motion is positive. The industry -- working to improve education -- also lends a feel-good factor. We have great relationships with our customers -- they are passionate about what they do and that passion is contagious. It's a bright, creative, and agile group of people working in a family-oriented, friendly work environment. Benefits are good -- and work policies are reasonable.

ConsFollett can be a little too conservative at times. There is often great reluctancy to 'kill the sacred cows' if it means challenging an executive-level belief even when change would clearly offer improvement. For example, no support for telecommuting, even though it could greatly improve productivity. Management decisions, particularly those that involve change, can take too long to be made and could arguably be more informed with more balanced input from employee stakeholders who are most affected by the change.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge yourself to think differently. There are many paths to 'right' and 'best' and the road that got us here is not necessarily the same road that takes us to the future. Consider that more transparancy and participation in directional decisions can spark more engagement and passion. Decide more quickly and be willing to experiment and take limited risks to test out new products and processes. Don't expect eveyrthing you try to be perfect -- don't wait until conditions are perfect -- experiment, test and embrace the learning that comes with limited failures in addition to success.

Nowhere job; cut-throat company that is down-sizing

Content Specialist (Current Employee)

Prosflex time, work from home,

Consincompetent managers -- zillions of them, in zillions of layers

Advice to Senior Managementget somebody new who can manage people, not just projects

changes keep coming that never result in any thing getting better

Prossome good people but some of the best have been leaving lately. we do not have to work much over time.

Cons"do more with less" is the company motto
    over heard today 2 people talking about PTO changes. they noticed people listening and clamed up. more cuts. joy

Advice to Senior Managementstop the penny wise pound foolish. get a plan we can rally to and be happy about. dont cut benefits.

Follett Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Follett products are stable, afordable and making a difference in the education of children all over the world, that is very satisfying. They have an open door policy and all managers are there because they believe in what they're doing, not just taking up an office and getting their salary. Employee culture is pretty positive most of the time.

ConsFor being a software company, their own systems and technology are out of date. There is no effective employee orientation or training other than what each department can come up with. There is not much room for advancement unless you are willing to wait years. Many of the departments have been run by the same people for a long time and things can get stagnate.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake things up and move people around, cross train and reduce middle management.

Good, solid organization that makes a difference

ProsFollett Software is in a very rewarding industry. A family owned private business with a very solid future. It is a fulfilling place to work. FSC appreciates life/work balance and provides a fun, safe work atmosphere. Stable company with a decent future.

ConsFollett Software provides a pretty reasonable work/life balance however their philosophy on flex-time and telecommuting is dated and rigid compared to other local employers. In some departments there is a bit of a lack of trust when it comes to going about ones business. Sometimes small items are magnified and blown out of proportion.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eye on the "big picture" and pay less attention to petty matters. Need to keep product life cycle ahead of the curve. Beginning to fall behind.

Needs Improvement

ProsLong history in Education industry (primarily library)

ConsDisorganized, internal conflict between divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementTry communicating with your teams

Worked for Follett Software Company? Contribute to the Community!