Follett Software Company

Be The First To
Add Photos

Simona Rollinson

Great Growing Company!

Data Specialist (Current Employee)
    McHenry, IL

ProsWorking the hours that let me leave earlier in the day to go home to my daughter!

ConsI enjoy working for this company and cannot find a flaw

What used to be a great company is on a sure decline

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    McHenry, IL

ProsGood work/life balance. Some work from home opportunities. Flexible hours and casual dress code. Training provided when needed or requested. Working with a great team of developers and software testers.

ConsLOW salary. High cost of insurance. No bonus this year, though most of us have it written in our (original hiring) offer letters as a departmental 'given'. Promotions are extremely hard to come by, as are decent raises; however there are lots of executive management promotions and hiring. Contractors from different companies being brought in to work on our software even when they have no experience with our products or code base.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are cheating your developers and software testers!!! In order to have committed software developers and testers, you must commit to them! The new changes over the last year have led to a strong and substantial decline in our commitment to producing high-quality software for the company. Lumping all of our efforts in with other divisions was a mistake. OneFollett is generally a good idea and a way to brand us all together, however, we are not created equal! Our project-based bonus was our motivation to produce TOP RATED SOFTWARE for our sales teams to sell. Now that you've taken that away, and are continuing to pay us some significantly low salaries, where is our motivation to do well by the company, when the company hasn't done well by us?

The entire development team at Follett Software has worked extremely hard at producing the product and quality that our customers want us to. If you want us to continue on this trend of giving our customers great products, I would strongly rethink your choice of treating us like all other divisions. Though we are OneFollett now - your development team shines above all others. Without our team, Follett School Solutions wouldn't exist. Please rethink - before you start losing some excellent, (formerly) dedicated employees.

I learned a lot and was able to expand my knowledge as I saw fit for my career.

Software Test Engineer (Former Employee)
    McHenry, IL

ProsI was given the opportunity to learn from my peers on a daily basis, to attend training, and learn on my own and apply that knowledge, which allowed me to further my career. Atmosphere is laid back and less stress compared to other companies. However all this varies from department to department. Development is definitely the best place to be at this company.

ConsPay is low, and difficult to get a raise, even when taking on more responsibility. Path to promotion is undefined and skill set varies greatly between peers. Medical benefits are pricey and provide less coverage when compared to larger companies.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hired on for three month contract, let go early about halfway through...

Software Support Analyst (Former Employee)
    McHenry, IL

Pros-Friendly Co-Workers
    -Minimal employee monitoring; they trusted you to do your job, didn't feel micromanaged
    -Good mentors, definitely set up training-wise to do your job well
    -Decent pay
    -Free KCups!

Cons-Was a three month contract, let us go a month and a half early due to "budget issues" uh-oh
    -Didn't get 40 hours a week as promised due to same budget issues
    -Seemed to keep staffing company in the dark in regards to contract end date, etc.
    -Management not very friendly, seemed strained to even get a "hi" in the morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe good to your contractors! Even if we're not permanent employees we still support your company. Fulfill your promises, it's not nice to toy with someone's livelihood.

Big changes happening here

Marketing (Former Employee)
    McHenry, IL

ProsA lot of potential for excellence. The associate who do the work are great.

ConsLarge upper management team, reduction those who do the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge your employees instead of walking by them.

Great people to work with!

Finance (Current Employee)
    McHenry, IL

ProsChallenging but recognized for accomplishments
    Small company with friendly people
    Fun place to work with casual dress

ConsCorporate office mandating some policies for all divisions that don't work for all divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out who works best before restructuring. Not who makes too much $

Future is not very bright

Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsHistorically, this has been a pretty good place to work. Flexible hours, reasonable compensation, decent benefits. And it was encouraging when the current President, a former Developer who rose through the ranks, was promoted.

ConsThere's a new sheriff in town...the new CEO of the entire corporation. Unfortunately, she doesn't appear to see the difference between IT and software development, and it's becoming pretty clear that we're going to get downsized/outsourced.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really see that this direction is going to change, so no advice, really.

Bids and Proposals: Divided department, low morale, lack of transparency

McHenry, IL

ProsLocation is close to home, generous vacation time

ConsIn my opinion, this department is managed very poorly. The full-time manager works part-time in the office either working "remotely", or "off-site". This manager has never spent 40 hours in the office at any given week. Many times we are unaware of our manager's absence because we are not informed, or at least not me. This manager is conveniently out of the office during the end of the quarter and during crucially busy times.

The manager consistently demonstrates hot and cold behavior. Days will go by before a "Hello" or "How is it going?" is uttered. This manager seems to pick favorites which further decreases morale and the sense of "teamwork". Some people are consider the "go to" people for difficult tasks or extra work and yet praise is never given or even a simple "thank you". Since upper management doesn't seem to have visibility of this, those that strive to do good work will never be recognized or promoted. It would be great if they would realize this before they start losing good people; the people that really help keep the company running.

There is one team member whose job title has not changed, yet has different goals and responsibilities as the remaining department. These new goals and supervisory tasks were never formally offered to the other associates. This creates confusion since others may view this member as a Team Leader or Supervisor, when this is not the case. This associate performs certain supervisory duties that the manager should be performing on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop Management needs to evaluate the work ethic of their directors and managers and how much time is spent in the office. There needs to be better transparency of changes to other team members "title" change. A successful company cannot effectively manage a department behind a SmartPhone.

Good people at the software branch but on the decline with group level strategy running the show.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    McHenry, IL

ProsTradition of work life balance, many good people trying to do the right thing.

ConsWork life balance and culture are on the decline. Strategy is pushing the company back to a 1980's approach to software development that is leading to delays and lowering quality. We used to build software iteratively and high quality. Consolidation of four companies into a single K12 company is adding layers of executives but ignoring or cutting people who actually do the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroup Management is running the business. Good luck to FSC Management.

Positive

Bids and Proposals (Current Employee)
    McHenry, IL

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsNo work at home option

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no comments as Management seems right on top of things

Worked for Follett Software Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Follett Software Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Follett Software Company CEO Simona Rollinson. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Follett Software Company employees.