Follett Software Company

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Friendly environment, very family focused that encourages a balanced work/home life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at Follett Software Company

Pros

There are many talented employees working there. The mission is great. The best reason to work there is the family focus. Management is very supportive when there are homelife issues to deal with.

Cons

The senior level management team doesn't share much information about where the company is going and how we can be successful as a company.

Advice to Management

Take the time to talk to your employees. Everyone whats the company to be successful and they have some great ideas.

2. Fantastic team and professional development, poor senior management

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Follett Software Company

Pros

R&D team Professional growth Work environment Help education

Cons

Lack of product direction from senior management. Need to value employees and retain them.

Advice to Management

Need to have product direction

Practice What You Preach

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL

I worked at Follett Software Company

Pros

* Follett Software is one of the largest employers in the McHenry area * Most employees make an effort to be supportive of each other's efforts * Overall compensation is fair for McHenry, IL

Cons

* Promotional opportunities are rare unless you are related to the founding family * Departments are generally siloed which makes it very difficult to work cross functionally * Management is unrealistic in its work load expectations * Professional development does not exist unless the employee dedicates their own time and resources to participate in job related training * Company direction is not focused * It's a job, not a career * Politics within and among the divisions make it very difficult to get anything done

Advice to Management

Listen to what you say during meetings and make it happen

The work environment is very laid back but the pay is very low compared to other companies in the general area.

Current Employee - Software Developer I in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer I in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Follett Software Company

Pros

-The people are very nice for the most part. -The atmosphere is very relaxed and it is very easy to take PTO (paid time off). -No one has to fear for their job as people are very very rarely fired.

Cons

-The pay is very low. -Follett has many divisions and has decided to "standardize" a lot of things across the board. Unfortunately they seem to be using the lowest common denominator for everything, so for some divisions, PTO was cut and for others salaries were cut. -I have heard that before i was hired, the PTO scale was more generous but that was lowered across the board. -Promotions are rarely given out and it seems like the company prefers to hire people into senior positions instead of promoting from within. -A lot of projects that are being worked have little or poor direction. (we are working very hard on.....something...but nobody knows what exactly) -A year(ish) ago there was a large company meeting to address the general dissatisfaction amongst employees. A large list of complaints was created and management went to work addressing the issues. The results of the meeting were super disappointing at best. The largest complaints were PTO, salary, working from home. The "solution" they came up with was a "Fun committee" which supposedly plans fun events to improve employee morale. The Fun Committee's largest contribution is a "store" (that nobody really cares about) that slightly undercuts the vending machines.

Advice to Management

-actually address the issues listed above. -i realize this is probably not going to happen. I'm very sure Management is well aware of our concerns but for reasons unknown to us, has decided to make these decisions.

The Architect drives technology that was new in 2001, misleading dev bonus, lacking creative freedom.

I have been working at Follett Software Company

Pros

The people - development team (below mgt grade level) are all great to work with. The commute - no where else to work in northern Mchenry County for technology. Flexible work hours - if you need to leave for dr or kids in school, no questions asked. Ping Pong - there is a table in one of the development rooms. It is not frowned upon to play during work hours. Expanding product line - finally getting out of the dying library market.

Cons

Golden Ticket - some people have a free ride, protected by the architect shield. Most are not protected or taken care of. Lack of direction for products. Development technology is all from 2001 - Architect allows you to work with technology that only he knows. Lack of space. Developers work all in one open room, which is good. But management has continued to cram everyone into rooms that become unsanitary, unsafe, and generally uncomfortable. Imagine a room that is 20x20 with 20 people in the room. We have no space for whiteboards or collaboration areas, producing a product is more important how we feel. VP of development is too far removed and has too much trust in the Director of Development. Development bonus is pitched as a certain percentage, but the reality is you are limited to only 75% of that bonus, with a potential (rare) of 100%. Lack of budget for development. We are a SOFTWARE COMPANY, start budgeting some serious money for tools, training, etc. Or just rename the company to Follett Sales Company, its like people in development are 2nd class citizens. Teams are agile/xp, but management/product owners/VP does not adopt this. They say they are agile and xp, but in reality they are not. Promise of large vacation was taken away, along with paid break over xmas and new years. Insurance rates have continued to go up for the past 8 years and we have switched providers 6 times. Low turnover might seem good, but in a technology company the staff is set in their old ways. Bad compensation - raises for good/great work is between 1 and 2.5% Management does not care about the people. Its about producing and not about taking care of the staff. We are a number in the eyes of management, we can be picked up and moved to another team on a whim and expected to produce at the velocity calculated by the Director. Management preaches its all about the team, but they constantly shift direction and resources, mid-stream, and reference " we are agile" and think its ok. Leadership team (group of development managers) does not appear to have a common vision or appear to be on the same page. Review process changes every year, which lends to everyone feeling we are not cared for.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your developers like warehouse employees. Realize that most of us are highly technical developers that need creativity and flexibility to design and create solutions. We are not just there to code the next wiz-bang feature that was over documented/analyzed in a story. If you want that, why not hire a consultant who is just collecting a paycheck and wants to be told what to do. The assembly line approach to software development burns people out!

Follett Software Company is a great place to play, but a terrible place to work.

I have been working at Follett Software Company

Pros

There are a handful of really good people. Also, there are no demands as far as work. If the environment was any more relaxed, they would need beds. Also, you get paid for playing ping pong.

Cons

Since I work in the development department, I can only speak honestly towards the development group. The cons are: - No advancement It has been directly told to me from management that advancement is not possible. Period. This makes career growth out of the question. - Mundane work Most of the work at Follett Software Company is very mundane. This stems for the complete aversion to risk by the management staff. - Lack of innovation The environment and culture at Follett Software Company is stifling. The primary technologies employed are Java, EJB's, and Swing. There is a smattering of Ruby on Rails started, but it is only allowed on select, non-critical areas. - No input on technical direction The person who runs the technical direction of the development group is the Architect. The Architect is fairly adverse to change. Developers are not allowed to offer discenting opinions on technology. Most employees know this, so they don't bother to offer differing opinions. As far as technical direction, Follett Software Company is stuck in the 90's, with no apparently desire to move forward. - Lack of leadership Management tends to avoid confrontations at all costs. This has allowed for many personnel and project issues to fester over the years. - Lack of skilled workforce Most of the development staff at Follett Software Company have no formal computer training. This leads to a large amount of "training on the job". - Lack of flexible work schedule / work from home. Only one person is allowed to work from home. Otherwise, there is no work from home. - Lack of a Solid Process Follett Software Company is a software company that has been doing XP programming for the last eight years. And yet, after eight years of doing XP, the management team has just recently decided to follow XP. In fact, each of the members now carry a XP programming guide and have even brought in a consultant to help.

Advice to Management

Almost all of the issues that plague FSC are cultural. The easiest way to fix the problems is to change leadership. Unfortunately, most of the people which need to stay to fix the problems are leaving, and the people prolonging the problems are staying.

An OK place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Follett Software Company

Pros

Relaxed environment. The team as a whole is committed to a good job. You get the sense that people really care about what they are doing. At times you get to work with cutting edge technology.

Cons

Lack of direction and focus from management team. Some locations and projects are hindered by overblown software process (full XP shop). This will probably be the norm across all locations and projects in the coming months.

Advice to Management

Need a unified message and plan of action. Too many people with influence directing the course of software development.

"The Gilded Days are in FSC's rearview mirror"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in McHenry, IL

I worked at Follett Software Company

Pros

+friendly, hometown people +competitive base salaries, generous uncapped commissions +many employees have a long tenure at FSC

Cons

-Unclear direction for the future of FSC -Poor M&A decisions have led to products that don't represent FSC's reputation for quality -Unfocused corporate direction has led to development of products that don't represent the need of the marketplace -Challenges in recruiting the best problem solvers and innovative thinkers due to location and culture of the company. Corporate culture does not reward out-of-the-box change agents, and so they leave or are fired after a short tenure

Advice to Management

FSC does not have the "brand name" outside of the library that you believe it does. Moving too far away from the core business will dilute the established brand/customer satisfaction you do have. FSC needs to hire real change agents and innovators to figure out the "next big thing." Maintaining an insular boys' club is a certain way to ultimately fail.

Stable employment in an industry that we can be proud of, with a low-turnover environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Follett Software Company

Pros

Working for a company whose aim is to help the K-12 education market make better use of its money and resources is a huge source of pride. The service departments strive to understand the needs of the education industry to assure that our products and consultation are on target. The company appears to genuinely encourage the ongoing education of its employees, and continues to improve its communication to all associates. The low turnover rate provides a foundation for improvements company-wide. With most of its employees highly-skilled at their jobs, historical information is readily available for research and process improvement is the focus, rather than beginner-level training.

Cons

The low turnover rate keeps career advancement to a minimum. In response to the economic downturn, most departments are at their minimum number of employees to get the business done - many departments are chronically overworked as a result and work/life balance is no longer a priority. FSC does not yet make use of the most recent technology to optimize its ability to provide seamless customer support between departments providing customer contact services.

Advice to Management

With customer contact (as opposed to our software products) being viewed as a critical component to acquiring and keeping customers these days, I would recommend supplementing the staff in service departments (so we don't burn out) and investing in current customer-tracking technology for interdepartmental communication.

Good place to work...if you NEVER want to advance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Follett Software Company

Pros

Excellent benefits, casual work environment...lots of Paid Time Off.

Cons

NO career path whatsoever. There is NO opportunity for advancent, although there are plenty of empty promises.

Advice to Management

Start respecting the employees that work their fingers to the bone for you.They know what they are doing and deserve opportunity for advancement. They will not stick around if you don't.

RSS Feed </> Embed