Fonality

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Scult

Challenging work with opportunities to grow.

ProsActive and challenging technical work environment.
    In most cases merit is recognized and rewarded.
    Pay seems to be in-line with market prices.

ConsSevere lack of backbone in higher management.
    Inter-departmental squabbling hurts.
    General chaos.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage, don't just say "Yes" to whomever is yelling loudest or crying most sorrowfully.

A place to learn a different type of technology...VoIP

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsWagon Wednesdays, Bagel Fridays, Internal growth , good people. A support rep can become a systems engineer if their ambition drives them to do so.,

ConsCompensation, directors with egos, lack of encouragement to do more, falling behind in the industry, lack of resources for critical functions like engineering, security, systems, and network engineers. There is lack of structure and process in this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire resources for critical technical positions instead of hiring more sales individuals.

Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGood work life balance.
    Friendly environment.

ConsNo career growth.
    Poor senior level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and inspire them to do their best.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent pay - but frustrating job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is decent. If you like working in Plano/Frisco, then its a great location. Great perks - IF you are in sales.

ConsManagement is a bit out of control. Company is still struggling to pay bills. Many of the perks have been removed, and the ones that really tax the budget are still in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to long-term employees.... They have valuable input.

Great place to learn and contribute!

ProsLearn new things every day from smart, committed people. The company is small enough that each person makes a real difference to the company and the customers, yet there are real opportunities to expand professionally to working with other parts of the business. Also, the CEO is a really smart and (more importantly) experienced leader and is a role model for managing a technology company of this size.

ConsAs will most smaller companies there is always a struggle with priorities and resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep providing reasonable, but aggressive, goals and maintain a strong dialog inside the company to foster continued teamwork!

I'm enjoying my time here.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGreat atmosphere and camaraderie.

ConsMany of the younger employees believe that they are still in high school.

Fonality offers a wonderful environment with flexibility and investment in its employees.

ProsDue to the nature of the product sold, there is a lot of flexibility for employees working remote and employees from different offices are able to collaborate easily. Even though offices are spread out, there is a real sense of community here. Employees are always working together on developing products, solving issues and assisting customers. The company is very invested in their employees and often promoted from within. The people here are great.

ConsWhenever a company allows you to work remote or provides flexible hours, it becomes very easy to put in extra hours. This is never expected or demanded, but it happens. Plus, everyone is so helpful, people stay late to assist one another.

A satisfying, enjoyable workplace that continues to grow and improve

Engineering (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsSome of the best work/life balance in the industry, consistently interesting fast-paced environment, relaxed culture and coworkers, bagels, smart about promotions. I look forward to going to work each day!

ConsSometimes the direction, especially from executives, seems unclear and unfocused, and organizationally suffers from a large amount of technical debt and cruft made in the startup days--that said, all of this continues to improve rather than degrade.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove morale & team mentality, especially inter-departmentally, and communication between all levels of the company. Continue to find and promote talent from every level of the company--Fonality has been exceptional at this, and I hope to see it continue as the company grows.

Fonality is on the up swing!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGreat work-life balance with competitive salary. Relaxed yet professional workplace is refreshing! There is continuous growth potential both as an individual contributor as well as a company. The relatively young average age of the office adds increased energy and excitement wile still working as a "team."

ConsWe have had many challenges over the last three years, but our current CEO is making great changes for improving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue the growth pattern. Fonality has been a great place to work.

Overall - My Experience and time with Fonality has been great.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe Work Environment at Fonality is really positive. It's a Benefit to be surrounded by so many talented Engineers.

Cons1 Common Trend that I have found with working at Fonality - is the lack of Communication that sometimes occur between cross Departments - i.e. Support vs. Engineering vs. QA.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf our company can bridge the Cross Departmental Communication a pinch better - so that all Departments are ultimately working towards 1 Common Goal - it would help.

Worked for Fonality? Contribute to the Community!