Fonterra

Add Photos

Theo C. A. Spierings

Health and Safety Manager

Health and Safety Advisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood environment to develop and grow in.

ConsStill determining what their needs are in the USA.

mislead management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay and benefits. 3 weeks vacation.

ConsNo clear leadership. Changing management on a regular basis. Some leadership positions held based on manipulation of the corporate game than on talent.

Former Manager

Former Manager (Former Employee) Rosemont, IL

ProsGreat products and great people to work with. Very diverse throughout the entire organization. Pay is above average.

ConsVery minimal opportunities for advancement in the US. Poor people development strategies for anyone outside of sales. Very high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people more involved in decision making and do not limit those decisions to just the people in New Zealand.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Magnetizing, Cut Throat, Opportunity for Development, left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Learning and Development Advisor (Former Employee) Auckland (New Zealand)

Prosdevelopment, development, development. its not about what can we afford, its about what is the best out there. the relentless thinking by everyone to improve what we did yesterday. money is ok. got paid better elsewhere. very good at cutting costs and using technology to remove cost. not so good at ensuring the people are safe and looked after as they work through these processes.

Conslots of rules and regulations. expect their employees to pay for travel and then take forever to pay it back. cumbersome systems for everything. definitely and arrogance in the culture. we are the best, the biggest. not very good at organizational innovation.

Advice to Senior Managementremember there is life outside of Fonterra. Status and money isn't everything. Work hard and develop in the time you are there. Get out when motivation diminishes otherwise your are holding everyone underneath you back.

Overall very good to work for but can loose sight of staff moral

ProsFlexible, focused on staff growth, good work/life balance. Opportunities to move within the company.

ConsLike many places can be very dependant on your personal manager as to treatment. Factory staff treated very different to office staff.
    Don't appear to think about staff moral

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how your budget decisions affect the long term staff moral. Sometimes those cuts to staff entertainment while they look good on the balance sheet can have a long term affect on performance.

A Real Life Dilbert Cartoon, swamped in bureaucracy

Plant Operator (Current Employee)

ProsIn New Zealand, there is a good strong Union to represent workers, so we enjoy a lot of benefis fought for and won by our union.

ConsNepotism in the workplace, lack of leadership, lack of management skills. None of our management has any guts, so lazy incompetent workers are allowed to just carry on, to the detriment of the ones who actually care. The bureaucracy is unbelievable. Any time a manager makes some kind of mistake, the workers on the floor end up with more paperwork to fill in to do their job. Production management are so far out of touch with their workers, it's a (sad) joke. Constantly we see the wrong people being praised, wrong people receiving reward and recognition, wrong people promoted. If you're a female, and can sleep with a manager, you'll go up the ladder. Our CEO talks about community spirit and being a good corporate citizen, but in the next breath, takes our business away from local suppliers to a "prefered supplier" in another city. Good luck getting after-hours service now! And we're a 24/7 operation, we need that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending all your time standing in front of DMS boards telling each other how well you're all doing, and actually do some real management of people. Management isn't filling in graphs and tables. It's taking an interest in your staff as people, and coaching, mentoring, and leading them.

Destruction of values

Management (Current Employee) Hamilton (New Zealand)

ProsMany years of enjoyment - until the new management structure took hold - and destroyed the many years of carefully thought out structure.

ConsThe new management structure has destroyed many lives. Using redundancies as an excuse to get rid of people who have served for many years - to bring in their mates. Created many levels of unnecessary management. The new culture of getting rid of loyal trustworthy dedicated employees through many redundancies, has destroyed many of their employee's causing breakdowns of many people. They keep getting rid of dedicated employees - but there are still hundreds of jobs advertised. Just changes to the position name so mates can come in the back door. Look out if you are getting anywhere near retirement age because you are automatically targeted. Look into who has been paid out redundancy, why they were made redundant, what age they were, who replaced them have they got a tertiary education. In many cases redundancies are instigated because of non tertiary letters after one's name. When are they going to learn that many years experience is the most valuable commodity. There are others trying to hang in there while their lives are being destroyed - and told while needing time off to recover that their job is not guaranteed when they come back. The whole outfit is in disarray. The company has got too big, there is no personality left.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all need to pull your heads out of your coffee mugs and get out amongst your dedicated staff, (if there are any left) spend time with them and realize what great jobs they are doing. Forget about those that are only there to add a couple of notches to their CV. You forget that there are those beneath you that are your most valuable asset - once sold off the company will crumble. Perhaps 'Undercover Boss" is needed

Passionate employees, indifferent management

ProsThe board wants to build a world-class organization, and the employees are bought into it. There are the right tools in place to deliver the best.

ConsThe middle and upper management are clueless as to how to achieve what the board wants. I see a trace of nepotism, but then it is the biggest company in a small country.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the professionalism of your employees just as you want the world to trust your product.

The lack of really leadership, politics and more politics, cover your as all over the place!!

Operations (Current Employee)

ProsGreat products, some really good people (getting fewer by the day!!).
    Has the basic potential to truly be a world leading company but is being pulled down by its senior leadership and their Narcissistic, Egotistic, Self-admiring culture.
    Time for a clean sweep!! or perhaps a major takeover or divestment......ummmmm? Watch this space.

ConsSenior management (not leaders!!!) are more interested in falling in-line with whatever comes out of NZ, even if they know it will damage the local Australian company. New Australian management (not much leadership!) who then brings in all of her cronies from Heinz. What does this tell you about their approach to "developing" an environment? If you do not have "Heinz" on your CV...don't bother! They appear to be physiologically in capable of "listening" to anyone who does not fall in line. and yet the 360 engagement survey says different......may-be because the questions are loaded and the answers pre-arranged with a focus on survey completion rate...so as long as you hit the magic 70%+ you can relax.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop believing you can "cut" your way to success, yes costs need to be controlled but you need a surgeon not an axe-wheeling maniac.
    FMCG is NOT the same as commodity milk products, if you cannot handle them separately then get out of one or the other, be great at what you can be great at, not "good" at everything!
    Suggested reading/video's, Jim Collins (From Good to Great & Built to last), Joel Barker - The business of paradigms (might help you know what you don't know!)

Comfortable and challenging organization

Multiple (Former Employee)

ProsVery busy, innovative and friendly company that has a large influence on it's home nation's economy.

ConsUnless you are well connected or play politics, it is very hard to gain promotion or recognition for consistent achievement. You have to be very much the "squeaky wheel" (even if you don't achieve much) and not the "grease" that does the fire fighting

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to and start recognizing the quiet achievers, who proactively inventively resolve issues and keep the organization moving, but don't waste time currying self fulfilling recognition

Worked for Fonterra? Contribute to the Community!