Fonterra Reviews

Theo C. A. Spierings

mislead management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fonterra full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits. 3 weeks vacation.

Cons

No clear leadership. Changing management on a regular basis. Some leadership positions held based on manipulation of the corporate game than on talent.

Former Manager

Former Employee - Former Manager  in  Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Fonterra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products and great people to work with. Very diverse throughout the entire organization. Pay is above average.

Cons

Very minimal opportunities for advancement in the US. Poor people development strategies for anyone outside of sales. Very high turnover.

Get people more involved in decision making and do not limit those decisions to just the people in New Zealand.

Health and Safety Manager

Former Employee - Health and Safety Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Health and Safety Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Fonterra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good environment to develop and grow in.

Cons

Still determining what their needs are in the USA.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Fonterra full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good work-life balance in general
    Senior Managers who treat you with respect
    Company culture that cares for the Employee
    Performance-driven reward and recognition

Cons

Some amount of politicking and in-breeding mars quality of recruits

Inconsistency in calibre of senior management diminishes the employer brand

Great place to work

Former Employee - Lab Assistant  in  Palmerston North (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Palmerston North (New Zealand)

I worked at Fonterra as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Exceptional Staff with great leadership and management. Lots of opportunity to learn with a focus on growth and great team building

Cons

Not a lot bad to say. bureaucracy is a bit much at times and a few redundant tasks but overall very good to its employees and staff.

Great place to work with motivated, quality focussed colleagues and an understanding, balanced approach to its people.

I have been working at Fonterra full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive remuneration, huge array of opportunities including training and development, quality co-workers, flexibility in working hours, great employee benefits packages, high profile employer.

Cons

In a word CHANGE. One of the pitfalls of all the opportunities and the size of the organisation is the amount of change underway at any one time. Also the 'waged' unionised workforce who have outstanding benefits and remuneration but continue to complain (sweeping generalisation!)

Keep working on the areas you're currently focussing on and don't ease off if you don't see immediate changes. Culture change and building a positive culture throughout the company will take time.

It's about who you know, not what you know.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Fonterra full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people (although they getting fewer as the place gets overrun with ex Heinz employees and the Fonterra people are retrenched). Reasonable salaries paid.

Cons

Knowing that at some point in the near future you will be retrenched. If you want a stable company where you feel "safe" don't work at Fonterra. How does management expect us to live the Fonterra values when we all know our days are numbered.

No matter how much "fun" you try & make Monday morning tea, we all know that one by one we are being replaced with Heinz lackies who bow & scrape to Judith. We are not dumb. We all know the shared services are all going from the Melbourne office in the near future.

Magnetizing, Cut Throat, Opportunity for Development, left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Former Employee - Learning and Development Advisor  in  Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Learning and Development Advisor in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Fonterra full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

development, development, development. its not about what can we afford, its about what is the best out there. the relentless thinking by everyone to improve what we did yesterday. money is ok. got paid better elsewhere. very good at cutting costs and using technology to remove cost. not so good at ensuring the people are safe and looked after as they work through these processes.

Cons

lots of rules and regulations. expect their employees to pay for travel and then take forever to pay it back. cumbersome systems for everything. definitely and arrogance in the culture. we are the best, the biggest. not very good at organizational innovation.

remember there is life outside of Fonterra. Status and money isn't everything. Work hard and develop in the time you are there. Get out when motivation diminishes otherwise your are holding everyone underneath you back.

Overall very good to work for but can loose sight of staff moral

I have been working at Fonterra full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible, focused on staff growth, good work/life balance. Opportunities to move within the company.

Cons

Like many places can be very dependant on your personal manager as to treatment. Factory staff treated very different to office staff.
    Don't appear to think about staff moral

Think about how your budget decisions affect the long term staff moral. Sometimes those cuts to staff entertainment while they look good on the balance sheet can have a long term affect on performance.

A Real Life Dilbert Cartoon, swamped in bureaucracy

Current Employee - Plant Operator
    Current Employee - Plant Operator

I have been working at Fonterra full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In New Zealand, there is a good strong Union to represent workers, so we enjoy a lot of benefis fought for and won by our union.

Cons

Nepotism in the workplace, lack of leadership, lack of management skills. None of our management has any guts, so lazy incompetent workers are allowed to just carry on, to the detriment of the ones who actually care. The bureaucracy is unbelievable. Any time a manager makes some kind of mistake, the workers on the floor end up with more paperwork to fill in to do their job. Production management are so far out of touch with their workers, it's a (sad) joke. Constantly we see the wrong people being praised, wrong people receiving reward and recognition, wrong people promoted. If you're a female, and can sleep with a manager, you'll go up the ladder. Our CEO talks about community spirit and being a good corporate citizen, but in the next breath, takes our business away from local suppliers to a "prefered supplier" in another city. Good luck getting after-hours service now! And we're a 24/7 operation, we need that.

Stop spending all your time standing in front of DMS boards telling each other how well you're all doing, and actually do some real management of people. Management isn't filling in graphs and tables. It's taking an interest in your staff as people, and coaching, mentoring, and leading them.

Worked for Fonterra? Contribute to the Community!