Food 4 Less

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bryan Kaltenbach

Great first job experience

Customer First Clerk (Former Employee)
    Baldwin Park, CA

ProsThe job was easy with flexible hours.

ConsThe pay scale could have been better.

I learned a lot from this job

Cashier Manager (Former Employee)
    Paso Robles, CA

ProsI loved my co workers and the customers that came through my line. I had wonderful training to start and the when I became a manager. We all worked as a team.

ConsThe less you worked the better you were treated and the more you worked the treatment wasn't so nice. I don't think employees should get special treatment for not working as hard as the rest of us.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not a fan of managers having their favorites and treating everyone else less than. To me no matter what your position is, you are no better than me and I am no better than you. We are all equal.

Ok type of job.

Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey work with your schedule

ConsRude people everyday. No raise for many months.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salary.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

$8.15 hourly start pay

Oxnard, CA

ProsGood people. Constantly busy. If you work alot of hours and overtime you can get to highest pay which is around $17. That is the top.

ConsOnly hire part time. Takes years to work way up at 20 hours a week. Must take all last minute call ins and overtime to get in extra hours. It is a warehouse union job ( meaning very low pay because not regular grocery store) so management does not seem to care much for employees. Union is also unhelpful. Worst job I have ever had in 30 years. Not very flexible and dont like when you trade hours

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp employees feel valued. Most try to do their best. Feels to much like under a microscope.Every move appears to be watched.

I'd recommend working here, like I'd recommend getting a DIY lobotomy.

Customer First Clerk (Current Employee)

Pros-Paid weekly.

-2 weeks paid vacation once you get past your 90 day trial, 3 weeks after 5 years.

-Get a gold pin, & choice of a $20 catalog gift also after 5 years.

Cons-Getting treated lower than trash ( cleaning fecal matter out of the urinal by hand, taking the blame for someone else's mishaps, bullied by mangement, rarely acknowledged).

-A million ways to be fired (write ups & suspensions are slaps on the wrist).

-Once maxed out, raises are given only on advancement or cost of living increase.

-You can expect roller coaster hours, and dangerous unhealthy work on some occasions. Forget almost ever seeing family; especially on holidays.

-Somedays, expect to go 4 and a half hours before ever getting a break. It's not uncommon to be given heavy work and to do it through your lunch or never even getting a lunch at all, even after being there for 8-10 hours at a time.

-Linear advancement that is always "filled".

-Employees are condemned & criticized more than rewarded. Who writes up a whole department if a few members aren't performing to standard as mentioned by corporate? Food 4 Less management does, and boy do they do it well!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. If you say you promote teamwork on paper, than actually allow employees to work together!!! Also, loosen up on the heavy rules. It seems like each year, 12 dozen rules & reminders are given out as an "do this or you're terminated" way. For example, discontinuing the use of colognes & perfumes because of allergy's might be a well thought idea; however expecting people not to reek of sweat & dirt and from bleach and from the decaying smell of cleaning at the end of the day WHILE promoting people to have good hygiene & cleanliness is a bit unrealistic.

Look into your District Management carefully.

People aren't drones either. The policies you have & the moves your making are putting you on the fast track to a revolving door business which will end this company and collapse it; as your best & brightest will be in search of better, convert to your rival competition, and improve their companies fiercely. Stop the micro managing too!

A good company to work for

Assistant Customer First Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSalary for the positions are very good

ConsA lot of time is spent away from your family

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication

Sign a contract-- loose your life

Pasadena, CA

Prosfriendly regular customers, enjoyable co-worker, easy work

Consincompetent management, poor scheduling, poor compensation, little chance for advancement, management tends to be lazy, employees tend to have to work off the clock in order to get their work load completed, poor workers are favored over competent ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees more, we need to be able to fullfill obligations outside the store ie family, school, etc. You don't own us and don't pay us enough to deserve the abusive treatment

Food 4 Less

Cashier (Former Employee)

Pros- As a part-time employee they are flexible with your schedule when you are going to school.
    - You can easily build strong relationships with your coworkers.

Cons- Management can be rude and unapproachable.
    - The store is at its busiest during holidays which means that you are likely to work holidays.
    - The starting salary is minimum wage and they don't like giving raises.
    - The work becomes very repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should take more interest in there employees and should view them as human beings that are an important aspect of the company.

Management plays favorites and burns you if they dont like you

Front End (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsIf you're young you will love to work here

ConsManagement highly unprofessional. Human resources management is always trying to cut people who are making too much wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a real company.

Not That Great

Utility Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsWeekly Pay, employees get free things from time to time

ConsManagement Does not care, tries to make you feel stupid, Depressing Place to work, Very Repetitive

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your fellow workers

Worked for Food 4 Less? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Food 4 Less reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Food 4 Less CEO Bryan Kaltenbach. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Food 4 Less employees.