Food For The Poor

www.foodforthepoor.org

Food For The Poor Reviews

2.4

Robin G. Mahfood

Wonderful and professional people, amazing contribution.

I worked at Food For The Poor as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Real contribution to the lives of so many poor people in many countries.
    High values, christian oriented, professional, fun, very human.

Cons

Only one location in the US.

To be more open to contributions of international professionals.

Great learning experience.

I worked at Food For The Poor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great organization to build upon your experience as a professional in the non-profit industry. There are great opportunities for life changing experiences that will ignite or fuel your passion to serve the poor.

Cons

There are no real professional growth and development opportunities; per department you may not receive genuine encouragement or feedback from management. While it is one of the largest and more successful international organizations in the U.S., many of the management styles are old school.

Wasted relief with archaic fundraising practices

Former Employee - Field Worker in Coconut Creek, FL
    Former Employee - Field Worker in Coconut Creek, FL

I worked at Food For The Poor full-time (less than a year)

Pros

SOME of the people mean well

Cons

The egregious tactics of their marketing campaigns, both in how they treat their subjects and how they treat their publishing, leave a sick feeling in my stomach. They hope that photos of crying babies will pry you from your wallet but they go over the line in producing those tears. The campaigns are nothing more than a fashion magazine shoot with poor people as the stand-ins for the models. They treat their subjects with no respect for their condition, only for their dollar producing value.

They spend an exorbitant amount of fundraising dollars on keeping themselves flush. The CEO Robin Mahfood makes $350,000 a year, pure donations that are meant to feed those in need go to this man's bank account. I witnessed first class flight purchases to international destinations, for whole teams of Food For The Poor travelers and many extravagant corporate meals at the finest restaurants. Five star hotels are the norm for those visiting the poor they "serve".

Do yourself a favor and don't take this job! If you have a good heart and a clean conscience, you will be tested with your work here. If you truly care about helping people, there are far better organizations to take your efforts.

Listen to the concerns of those that think the practices need adjustment. I came in with fresh eyes and ideals and I was really bothered by the practices, but when I spoke up about my concerns, i was let go and told that the job "wasn't a good fit" for me. They couldn't have been more right.