Food Lion
www.foodlion.com Salisbury, NC 5000+ Employees

Food Lion Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Beth Newlands

Pros:
  • "Good flexible hours; having the ability to work another full-time job is good"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Co-workers are usually friendly and easy to work with"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "You needed to have full time hours but expected you to get everything done in a lot less hours"
    in 24 reviews
  • "This company needs to look at store managers because they are not fulfilling their job description"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work callaway 2515

PT Grocery Associate (Current Employee)
    Callaway, MD

ProsDecent pay...Room for advancement...the new store manager seems to really care and help you learn abd stay as opposed to other store managers in the past who sat in the office

ConsNot enough hours not enough staff

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the current store manager at this location

ovreall -good

Customer Service and Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsBenefits are good for full time associates

Conspay does not match responsibility

Advice to Senior Managementwhen promoting to new positions carefully determine the value of your associate and the resonsibilities they will have and make pay raise sufficient

The company is good to work for and has really grown in the past few yours in taking care of their employees.

Meat Market Manager (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsThe company is always looking for a way to help out the community and is becoming more aware of how the employees see the company.

ConsThere are no bonuses. Salaries are not that great. It is hard to schedule time off.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Demanding without proper incentives for such high demands

PT Grocery Associate (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsMy coworkers were the best part about working at this job.

ConsThe management team is disorganized, micromanaging, and arrogant.

Totally dependent on your immediate supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVacation time was generous, pay was good.

ConsInconsistent direction, favoritism, company will transfer you whenever it pleases.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf upper management doesn't like you, look for another job.

It was honest money.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSafe environment, pays on time.

ConsStaff doesn't listen to supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementMake staff accountable.

Management Lacking

Dairy/Frozen Food Associate (Current Employee)
    Roanoke, VA

ProsThis employer has decent benefits and the work environment physically meets above standards.

ConsCompany management is poor. Stress levels are high. Business in my area is slow and hours may be reduced as a result

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany should not accept the turnover in their stores. Investment in quality people and competent management at the store level with target goals.

Service Leader

Front End Customer Service Lead (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsFello employees can be friendly

ConsGenerally it's an unwelcoming enviornment with no room to grow and lots of mindless work.

Ok job, depending on your managers.

Quality Assurance Worker (Current Employee)
    Lorton, VA

ProsWhen I first started my job, I was a QA (quality assurance / basically a janitor) and started at $9, which wasn't bad for my first job. I have to listen to the listen to the manager on duty, whether it is the stocker or cashier manager, but the head store manager and his assistant are my actual bosses. For the most part, starting out, all of my managers and co-workers were some of the nicest people I've known.

ConsHours are sketchy sometimes (if you're part-time). And the largest con, is that when the head store manager left, and the new man came in, he is far beyond favorable (towards the hispanic people of the store). He isn't exactly bad towards others, but he puts more of a work load on most poeple who he doesn't favor (which we didn't have before he came in), while allowing his 'friends' to then do things how they normally do without saying anything to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhoever over sees the head store manager, (forgetting the exact name of the person and their assistant), should review the secruity tapes of the store to prevent favoritism as aforementioned. There should also be cameras put within the managers office in the back of the store for better surveillance of the head store manager for this reason.

Welcome to retail!

Produce Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a great part-time job for those that want to make some pocket money or work experience. It's way better than working in fast-food. Customers won't likely test your patience in this department. You will have flexible work schedule hours and days. The stress is very low in this department! Food Lion is known for having a family-like environment with it's employees.

ConsThe only discount you get are what customers can get with their MVP card and a free shirt for if you last longer than 90 days. Most people who work with Food Lion don't make enough money to live (a) outside of parent's home, (b) without government assistance, or (c) in debt. (This includes full-time employees) If you network well, you can possibly work in Delhaize America or Food Lion's distribution center. In every way possible, Food Lion does whatever it can to save money...

Worked for Food Lion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Food Lion reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Food Lion CEO Beth Newlands. All 446 reviews posted anonymously by Food Lion employees.