Food Lion

Updated October 6, 2014
Updated October 6, 2014
2.9

Beth Newlands

Pros
  • Co-workers are great, customers are great, can go on breaks when you need to (in 14 reviews)

• flexible hours with reasonable responsibilities and pay equal to level of work i am doing (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You needed to have full time hours but expected you to get everything done in a lot less hours (in 30 reviews)

• Although there are some benefits offered for part-time workers, these benefits could be better (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Grocery Associate in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job task are pretty easy to where anyone can learn to do it. Decent hours if you're in-school. They hire minors. Overtime is usually not available unless its a busy holiday and if you're good.

Cons

Only bad thing I see is that a lot of good work goes unnoticed. If you don't continuously push yourself and the product in front of your peers then it's tough to move up.

Paying attention to what the employees are doing behind the scenes.

Company operates as if it were flipping a coin.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Raeford, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Raeford, NC

I worked at Food Lion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Growth and training were big key points while I worked there. Great team work, if you had the right team. Salaries were competitive.

Cons

District Managers at the time (when they had such a thing) were hit or miss. Salary personel were expected to pull ridiculous hours and would be pulled away from store operations to help in other stores...with no compensation or added time in your own store. Too many directions coming from too many district managers and specialist that were not on the same page as the company.

Develop a fundamental system and hold your upper management accountable. At the time I worked there, too many district managers had different ideas of how to run the company's initiatives.

Ehh

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Food Lion part-time

Pros

Good starter job if you are a teenager beats your friends working at McDonald's.
    They will work around your school schedule.

Cons

Do gross things. Cleaning the bathrooms etc. I remember one time I had to clean out mold...or one time get the carts while it was snowing and most the carts were in the back getting repaired so I spent almost the entire day in the snow.

I had some great bosses. Help out when the lines are backed up with 20 customers.

Food Lion not for everyone

Current Employee - Store Manager in Southern Pines, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Southern Pines, NC

I have been working at Food Lion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay for store managers

Cons

Very demanding no time for family or friends

Simply a job, certainly not a career

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Food Lion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great for those who have no experience and are looking for entry level jobs. Perfect for those who need a flexible schedule like high school or college students or parents.

Cons

There is very little room for advancement, each store has had the same managers for decades. So basically new cashiers and associates all the time with no management leaving out. The pay is the very low if you compare other grocery and department stores.

Pay your employees what they deserve! Offer perks for the young adults that make up majority of your employees like tuition assistance, out-of-work training or scholarships.

The price you pay at retail

Current Employee - Store Manager in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion full-time

Pros

Good pay once you reach upper management. Many avenues to share your ideas and creative nature. Great associates to work with and a fun atmosphere at store level.

Cons

Depends on what DM you get because they change many times...some are very uplifting talent developers and others are micro-managers with no positivity. Pay raises for associates are a joke...only getting 1-2% a year which means someone at minimum wage will only get upto a quarter. Also, the pay scale for associates and lower management are not competitive or laid out well. Different areas of the store don't offer any incentive to move up because of the pay scale. If you are a front end associate making around $8 an hour and move up to office or full time your best shot is a 10% increase. Too many expectations for Salaried employees and no regards to how much time you put in weekly...the old saying "...it doesn't matter how long you work because you are salary..." is in full effect with most DM's. Very Stressful at upper management.

Look at changing the structure of the pay scale. Why would I pay a meat cutter close to what I am paying a PT cashier. The scale usually starts at $7.25 for any position under management level. Where is the incentive for anyone to want to move up. It is hard for department heads and store managers to keep associates not to mention hire people because they can do the same work at our competitors and make substantially more.

Prepare for the worst, you wont be let down.

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

*Customers are very friendly as are the other Associates.
    Its a job.
    *Everyone is treated the same way. Like crap.

Cons

*Starting pay rate for a stocker is $7.25. At Target they started me at $8 with a 50 cent overnight increase and a dollar raise when i was off seasonal.
    *There is no training what so ever, you are thrown into the fray and left to drown if you cannot swim.
    * There is no "great job" or any type of feed back for a job well done from management. But they are very quick to let you know when your work looks like, and i quote "hot sh!t".
    *They expect perfection for minimum wage. When blocking, every item 3 deep, every item to the lip, every item aligned with its tag (even though tags are not set properly or spaced as such).
    * Management is disrespectful to anyone below but quick to kiss the backside of someone above. If you are below them you are nothing.
    *No understanding when you are sick. If you are vomiting, get a bag and keep working. if you are shot in the leg, get a band-aid and keep on limping.
    *Obvious favoritism between management and select associates.
    *Backstabbing. Do not and i repeat DO NOT trust anyone. If you are going to report someone, tell no one anything. If you are venting about your rough day, tell no one that works there. Everyone has one hand on a knife to plummet in your back. Allegiances are always unknown! Remember that!
    *No contact with low level associates and high level corporate. The "open door policy" stops at the store manager unless its something outlandish and can get them sued.
    *Associates are made to be able to run an entire store and still not paid for any cross-training. I myself am a Stocker, a Cashier, a Q&A, a Bager. While stocking the entire store (or blocking it) i am told to jump on register whenever needed, bag whenever needed, get carts as needed and am still expected to finish all of my work on time.
    *There is no advancement unless you are a favored associate and even then its hard.
    *Hours are constantly being cut.

I would suggest actual training courses. Performance reviews of management from the actual associates. Increased pay, decreased bonuses for salary that does not deserve them. And respect courses for people who are reported numerous times by associates.

Food Lion Photos