Food Lion Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.9

Beth Newlands

Pros
  • flexible hours with reasonable responsibilities and pay equal to level of work i am doing (in 20 reviews)

• Co-workers are usually friendly and easy to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • You needed to have full time hours but expected you to get everything done in a lot less hours (in 25 reviews)

• Although there are some benefits offered for part-time workers, these benefits could be better (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Management

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Food Lion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The management at the store I worked for was wonderful, like a family. Work load was shared pretty evenly and customer service was top priority. Flexible hours.

Cons

The compensation is low and not much chance of raises.

Consider pay raises based on merit.

Great place to work. Worked there while I was in school.

Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger
    Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger

I worked at Food Lion part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked with my school schedule.

Cons

Working every weekend.

Easy to work your way up if you show up and do what you're told and do it better and faster than the next guy/gal.

Former Employee - Cashier/Office Assistant  in  Kinston, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/Office Assistant in Kinston, NC

I worked at Food Lion full-time for more than a year

Pros

They worked around my needs in scheduling me. I was given life insurance for my whole family for only 15 dollars a month. You can work your way up quickly if you show up, do the work and do it without complaining, smile and in general, have a good work ethic.

Cons

Insufficient training. There was a mentality of "no one showed ME how to do it, so I'm not going to show YOU how to do it". It was often sink or swim. I managed to swim and work my way up and past others who'd been there MUCH longer than me.

My advice to management would be to schedule time where you work the jobs below you. It would help you gain understanding of what really happens on a day to day basis which would then help you tailor your requests to the reality of what can be achieved.
    My advice to supervisors would be to spend more time training your cashiers and not leaving them to fail, then shooting them down for failure. It's a culture of shame, rather than one of cheering them on and that only leads to quick turnover and depressed employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Weird

Current Employee - FT Grocery Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - FT Grocery Associate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Food Lion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work environment with endless drama and possibilities

Cons

Poor Management, Limited Growth, Mean and Entitled Customers

Pay the hard-working employees and end the favoritism.

Dairy Mgr.

Former Employee - Dairy & Frozen Food Manager
    Former Employee - Dairy & Frozen Food Manager

I worked at Food Lion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Helping Customers pretty much being my on boss.

Cons

Nothing bad to say really.

Would help to change the way some of the department is set up.

My Food Lion Experience

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Food Lion part-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are nice like a 10-min on the clock break. And a 30-min off the clock lunch break. Friendly management and staff. Getting to know your customers, All staff are happy to train, and will let you get some hands on training.

Cons

Some of the stores cash registers are kind of old, so they can be a little bit of a pain to work with sometimes. But its pretty much straight forward.

When you say you are going to upgrade cash registers or the POS please do as the POS system in some stores are getting really old and do need a big upgrade. I know plenty of my fellow co-workers would like to see that sometime soon.

Does not pay well

Current Employee - Front End Customer Service Lead  in  Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Front End Customer Service Lead in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Food Lion part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good for skill development,. The CSM was awesome and tried to alternate weekends with us and she worked around school schedules. Laid back for the most part besides peak times. Good starting out job or going to school job.

Cons

Compensation was a joke. I quit once because I found out a new hire cashier was making more than me and I was in the office with more responsibility. About 7 months later I got hired back on and got a raise. Never understood the money. Some people have been there for 10+ years still under 9 an hour. There is NO career here unless your management

Not so employee-centered

Former Employee - Market/Produce Associate  in  Boone, NC
    Former Employee - Market/Produce Associate in Boone, NC

I worked at Food Lion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lower-level managers were top notch
    Scheduling was very flexible
    Easy to work in multiple departments

Cons

Does not reward employees for long-term service
    Very bureaucratic
    Training is monotonous and based on watching videos on a computer

Make sure all of the tiers of management are on the same page - we very commonly had people above the store level come in and make demands that conflicted directly with other upper-level managers

It's been 5 years

Current Employee - Office Assistant/Customer Service
    Current Employee - Office Assistant/Customer Service

I have been working at Food Lion part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It has been a fun job for the most part, like all jobs it has it's hard times. There have been several opportunities to advance, that I just missed out on, I blame my availability for that though. I moved fairly quick through the beginning , started off as a bagger, then bagger/cashier, then I picked up another job in the store, doing price changes. Price changes aren't the job for me though. Then from there, I went back to just the front end of the store as a cashier, within a couple of weeks, I got promoted to office assistant. On the front end, as long as you can keep up with the pace, it's the place you want to be, you get a little more freedom with it.

Cons

The only real cons I have seen with working with Food Lion, they are a little stingy with raises, if you are lucky you get one on your yearly anniversary even if all of your evals have been really good. That could also be in part due to certain members of management or corporate , depending on district I would guess. Communication isn't always up to par , even with me working 5 days a week, sometimes it's two or 3 days into things before I ever really hear about it.

My advice to management, if you value your employees , let your actions and words show it. Yes we are easy enough to replace as everyone wants a job these days, but people who will do anything within their power to make sure the store runs smoothly, you won't find as easy. So reward us a little better from time to time without us pure having to beg for it. The policy about "part time" employees not getting over 30 hours needs to go out the door, I've made it this long without benefits , I just need the hours for money.

At store 440 in Greensboro terrible.

Former Employee - Dairy & Frozen Food Manager  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Dairy & Frozen Food Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Food Lion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part of working at Food Lion hands down were my customers.

Cons

The management was the worse I've ever worked under in my life.

There is none to give cause in the end management will never listen to us the employees.

Worked for Food Lion? Contribute to the Community!