Food Lion

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

Beth Newlands

Pros
  • Co-workers are great, customers are great, can go on breaks when you need to (in 14 reviews)

• flexible hours with reasonable responsibilities and pay equal to level of work i am doing (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • You needed to have full time hours but expected you to get everything done in a lot less hours (in 30 reviews)

• Although there are some benefits offered for part-time workers, these benefits could be better (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Working as grocery manager for 3 years

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

Room for advancement to higher positions

Cons

Work to hard for what they pay

Memorable Experience

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Food Lion part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers were a real treat to be around each day..The Food Lion team were a great group of people

Cons

The work hours became scarce due to downsizing and management change...The staff in turn began to lose morale

Utilize employee input

Part Time Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Radford, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Radford, VA

I worked at Food Lion part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Made good friends there, management was fair for the most part, and worked well with your school schedule.

Cons

Needy and rude customers. Many young people work there so sometimes you had to deal with some childish and winy coworkers.

Nothing really to suggest, Stay fair with your employees and treat them with respect. Don't talk down them and bark orders. Some managers got caught up in that a few times, but it was rare.

Food Lion has provided a challenging career and a reasonable income.

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

Food Lion offers growth & upward mobility to associates that are dedicated and demonstrate exceptional work ethic. Investing in your development while learning on the job.

Cons

Long hours are a standard expectation. Associates are required to work at least one closing shift per week. It is sometimes necessary to close at 11 PM and then open at 7 AM.

Offer more few I've scheduling expectations. Holidays are important to associates, but we are not able to enjoy them because we have to work every holiday.

The job is ok, but the pay at times seems to be less than the assigned work load.

Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Sales Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Food Lion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has good training documentation

Cons

irregular work schedules instead of the average M-F 9-5.

There are sometimes to many EMS projects and promotions. Full-time employees should have set schedules

Meh

I worked at Food Lion

Pros

Your coworkers are most likely going to be friendly people who are understanding, managers for the most part will work with your schedule, if you are in school or have children, or develop an illness. It's an ok starter job for a high school or college student.

Cons

Don't trust your manager too much; there are things that are not allowed in Food Lion specifically by corporate that store and department managers may get a pass doing (ex. deli manager eating in the deli, etc). If you get accused of breaking the rules, your manager may throw you under the bus.

Follow the rules like everyone else, you may have a bigger salary but that doesn't make you better than anyone.

A fulfilling interim career

Former Employee - Produce Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Produce Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Food Lion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome co-workers and managers to collaborate with.

Cons

Still a 24-7-364 career with ungrateful customers.

Put more faith in long-term, experienced department managers and cut back on constant, big-idea changes.

Eh..

Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Food Lion part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never really a boring day, always something new, good pay

Cons

Not much room for growth. Generally if you start out a cashier you will be a cashier for a longggg time before you're even considered for a promotion

Give people the opportunity to grow

Pay is not in line with time spent.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Food Lion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady amount of work. I'm very lucky in that I work for a good store manager with a strong work ethic. The staff is hard working, and they are very much like family--which is good, because I see each of them roughly 10x more time in a week than I see my own family.

Cons

Holiday and safety bonuses, one of the very nice things about working here, were done away with a few years back for salaried associates. We were given personal days to use as vacation time instead. Which is all well and good, until you work in a store where the MoD staff has a lot of seniority, and you have to try to schedule roughly 22 weeks of vacation among the 4 MoD's. It is difficult to get time off. We are paid on a 45 hour scale, but are expected to be scheduled 50 hours? Until a conversation with my boss, turn and burn shifts (close one night, open next morning) were normal--sometimes twice a week. In my position, there is very little opportunity for advancement. Bonus structure can be vague and nebulous...a couple of years ago, we went the entire year not knowing what the bonus structure was. And since then, there is very little you can do to impact your own personal bonus, since district/region goals account for up to 100% of benchmarks.

Reinstate holiday bonuses. Look at having more key carriers in store. Treat standard practice as the law, and not a choice that a regional manager can sweep aside.

Food Lion AKA Delhaize of Belgium

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Concord, NC

I worked at Food Lion part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lot's of good people
    Can make lots of friends

Cons

*They pay you as low as possible and work you as much as possible
    *High turnover
    *Employees always calling out so you get calls every day you are off to come in
    *2nd shift and Weekends
    *The company is owned by foreigners in Belgium and all the money is being sucked out of Americans for their benefit. employees be damned. Shop at an American owned grocery store instead.
    *They have the office assistants handling everything from money orders, customer service returns, overseeing all front end employees, making deposits, counting cash, filing paperwork, and more, all while also running the cash register when the line gets long which happens often.

Pay the people that are hard workers and stay with you a livable wage!! I worked for Food Lion for 8 years and getting a raise was like pulling teeth. I got up to a whopping $8.50 an hour as the "Assistant CSM"/Office Assistant feast 2. Ridiculous. I kick myself for staying their for so long, but it was because of the people I worked with.

Food Lion Photos