Food Safety Net Services

John W. Bellinger

1. Going Forward...

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician II/Microbiologist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician II/Microbiologist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fantastic experience in microbiology for someone with no experience out of college

-Fast Paced, there is always something to do

-Great networking, opportunity to meet a lot of different people in the food industry

-Dynamic, my location put a lot of emphasis on cross-training. This gives you a lot of variety in your day to day activities and keeps the job interesting.

-Benefits, FSNS offers health, vision, dental, and life insurance in addition to 401 and PTO for full time employees.

Cons

-Compensation, the pay at FSNS is poor. The pay increases at higher positions are no where near proportional to the added responsibility.

-Hours, the shifts worked can be a little rough, particularly during busy seasons. Schedules are built around client needs, often resulting in long hours for salary employees. You are always expected to work until the job is done, regardless of what time. But there is rarely the added benefit of leaving a few minutes early if you complete your work early, unless you're hourly and every other department didn't manage to get behind.

-Speed/Quality balance, You will be very busy here, very frequently and after a certain period of time, you will be expected to be very quick at your job. However, you are also expected an impeccable quality of work. This balance is very hard to maintain for even the most seasoned employees.

Advice to Management

-Trying to fit 24 hour turn around times into 8 hours is a problem. Schedule a 12-9 in path lab Monday-Friday.

-Favoratism is a problem, especially with disciplinary action.

-Increase expectations of main lab and log in

2. Lack of Creativity

I worked at Food Safety Net Services

Pros

The people you work with are wonderful.

Cons

Management needed to be better.

3. I've been the Audit Coordinator at FSNS for eight months.

Current Employee - Audit Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've enjoyed my time at FSNS. It's a big company doing being things, but it has a small family atmosphere.

Cons

We're growing very fast and sometimes it feels like we're growing faster than we can keep up with. Which is a good problem to have!

Advice to Management

My experience with upper management has been great. I am comfortable reaching out to any of them for help or advice. I really like that I have a personal relationship with them.

5. Good place to work

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture with a highly collaborative atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is lower than desired.

6. Good team that corresponds quickly with one another, always trying to help each other out.

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling appointments.
    I get to be around various people.
    Never gets boring.

Cons

Very long sales cycle.
    Feel like I'm always working.
    The constant "hunting" for new customers can get exhausting sometimes.

Advice to Management

Increase our commission and add more bonuses to give us incentive to push more.

7. Great company! I love working at FSNS!

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so friendly and willing to share their knowledge. It is a great learning environment with amazing teamwork among colleagues.

Cons

Not the normal 9-5 business hours

Advice to Management

Continue to work by your values and grow your company. Thank you for the opportunity.

8. Great Team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working for FSNS. The benefits are better than most, especially for tenured employees because they receive a discount on medical benefits. Tuition reimbursement is available if the degree is relates to your degree. There are a lot of opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

The lab hours can be tough since samples are received 24/7/365. Bacteria doesn't stop growing because it's a holiday.

Advice to Management

I would suggest management be proactive instead of reactive in retaining valued employees.

9. Great benefits for employees and very

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very employee oriented - great benefits, above average pay, annual increases and bonuses and "promote from within" policy. Terrific tuition reimbursement - employees are encouraged to get a degree so they can continue to move up the ladder! The owners really care about their employees and show that by offering many "fun" incentives and contests. The Corporate office is very friendly and helpful and the "Casual Fridays" make the end of the week fun!

Cons

The parking is not the best or easiest but the offices are very clean and well kept up. For the most part the morale and attitude of the employees is good. Communication from management could be better and they shouldn't wait to share information until the last minute - like new locations, change in management, etc.

Advice to Management

Be more open to the employees and let them know how things are in the company and if there are areas to be improved. Train all management but especially lab managers to be more open with praise and not always just criticism. Have employees rate their supervisors just like supervisors rate their employees. Let Operations management see these reviews so they can make the right decisions in promoting managers or moving them to other locations. Supervisors and managers should all attend mandatory training on how to deal with others and understand that not all personalities are the same. FSNS is a team and we all need to work together to make it an even better company than it is! I am so happy to be a part of this "family"!

Shady. Turn over will ALWAYS be bad because of treatment of employees.

Current Employee - Laboratory Technician I
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technician I

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services full-time

Pros

Fellow coworkers. Time-off policy, get 3.33 hours per pay period. You gain laboratory skills/knowledge and lab lingo. Overall GOOD learning experience.

Cons

Supervisor/Technical Manager/Lab Manager does little training, you are basically on your own or learning from other Techs whose skills not might be up to par and/or who don't know as much as management would or should. Management who do not want their employees to grow and/or leave by giving false and bad recommendations to other labs in different regions and/or outside employers. Work-life balance sucks; overtime expected! Tell you to question management but if you do your out. \o/ LAWDNESS

Advice to Management

Provide PROPER training to those that move up in the company and especially to those you hire from the outside with little to none experience in the food safety industry. Example: hire a Supervisor/Team Lead/Technical Manager/Laboratory Manager from within because if you bring someone from the outside asking a Lab Technician I (whose been there for less than a year) how to set samples it looks extremely bad and brings down lab morale.

Regretful career move

I have been working at Food Safety Net Services

Pros

Great core values and commitment to food safety are obvious from the top in this company and those values are what drive employees to do their best each day in spite of poor management at the corporate level. FSNS is making a positive impact on public health.

Cons

Very poor management at the corporate level in terms of style and compensation. Unfortunately the company presently relies on a management culture based on demotivational tactics instead of positive feedback for jobs well done. High turnover across the board. Lack of effective two-way communication has created a culture amongst employees that can be summed up as "we will get this important mission done in spite of the poor management".

Advice to Management

The core values of the FSNS mission are well-described, well-intentioned, and effective in making a positive impact on food safety. Be aware of the impact that continuous negative feedback and rare positive feedback to employees has on employee retention and motivation, and consider making a change.