Food Services of America

Be The First To
Add Photos

Doug Minert

Best Job I EVER Had

Outside Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsAwesome, fun managers let you do your thing as long as your numbers are where they need to be.
    In Outside Sales, you can basically make as much money as you want. The harder you work, the more you make!

ConsCredit department has very strict parameters to work in. Often not customer friendly and can take this power to higher levels than needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the guiding principals. Do not manipulate for your personal agenda.

Will work you tell you drop. Say one thing and do another. management is so out of touch with their work force it's sad.

Delivery Associate (Current Employee)
    Woodburn, OR

ProsGreat benefit, pay could be a bit stronger, most of the people go out of their way to help when needed. Great crew despite the one foot out the door for retirement management.

ConsCore values they beat you over the head with it as long as it doesn't get in the way of the bottom line. Customer service is a joke they would know what it was if it hit them in the head. Routing department couldn't rout there way out of a paper bag due too the tenable computer programs they use.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who earns the money that pays your salary. And think long and hard about the people standing in front of the customers day in and day out, in the rain, snow, ice, wind, and heat. Maybe ask what the customers are saying and wanting before making call as to where this company is going to go. FIRE EVERYONE IN CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT and start over with people that make the customers problems there own, and don't give up on issues tell they are resolved. The invest in newer technology that makes the front line employees job more efficient ie routing software that actually knows the distance between 2 points that are more then 100 miles away from each other.

Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany nice people in all facets of the company. Fast-paced, stable, and locations are in reasonably-priced livable areas.

ConsGoals are overestimated liberally. The resourceful and willingly helping associates are few, and most times unavailable because of the mismanaged workload. The training is close to nil unless you are in sales. Warehouse guys are on such strict schedules, to improve efficiency, that any outside deviation will cause huge delays in alternative departments. There are people in the company who've been there so long that no matter how toxic they are to operations and culture, their out-dated opnions set precedence over innovative strategic efficiency and new ideas. Blantant disregard for temps and not setting clear expectations for the roles they accepted (example not telling a gal in the office that she will spend hours a day in a freezer).

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your expectations and suggest what you feel is best to meet them. People will see ways of solving problems differently and find their own ways to meet these expectations. Unless you set the guidelines early on, you add to the miscommunication and it's unreasonable to reprimand an associate for not know how you want things done.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have worked at this company two different times as a salesperson 10 years apart.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Kent, WA

ProsReasonable independence within your territory. Quality products...

ConsMy second time working here was a different experience, the founder/owner had passed away and strong leadership is lacking. The culture seemed to change from being a Sales driven company to Marketing & Finance driven company. Employee benefits were not as good as they once were either.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to focusing on being sales driven, provide sales people with the tools they need including keeping up with technology. District managers need to get out in the field working with reps instead of pushing paper. A simple admin. asst. for a few DM's could free them up to be more in touch with the realities of the marketplace.

Good experience

Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGood salary, great people to work with, very nice office/facilities. Plenty of work and even with 15+ years of admin experience I was always learning something new to boost my skillset.

ConsManagement was sometimes invisible, almost seemed like they didn't care. I wasn't really able to identify any real opportunity for advancement (though support positions aren't always so upwardly mobile, anyway...)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe present and engage with your direct reports!

Fast paced work environment.

ProsManager did not micro managed.

ConsPay was on the low side.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your associates. Understand their career goals and help they get there.

constant state of change

Prossolid foundation of a business. founding family is an inspiring touch to the business.

Conscommunication is poor and not a lot of heart. seems to have gone overboard with corporate mentality and employees have gotten lost in the shuffle

Advice to Senior Managementstart communicating and please all convey the same message

Good experience but did not appreciate the micro management. They became more of a determinant than helpful.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Roseburg, OR

ProsThe company had the right ideas and leadership

ConsCompany may have lost sight of how they got to where they are. Area managers have no clue how to manage people.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget the micro management. Teach area managers how to manage people not just dollars.
    your sales will come.

Mission Statement Forgotten

Stable Boy (Current Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsMore than your average share of employee recognition including goodies and gifts.

ConsComplete double standard where even the newest and most incompetent sales reps are treated like thoroughbred champion horses while the most dedicated, proactive and energized support staff are considered lowly stable boys tasked with cleaning up manure and occasionally being mitterated upon by petulant and egotistical sales staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and reward all your employees equally.

Mostly positive

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsI get to work with food! I work on a MAC, I get to take photos.

ConsThe old boys' network heirarchy of men make it difficult for women to work in anything but support positions. Health insurance is high-dedectible and many of us have to pay thousands out of pocket each year to cover medical expenses. I am grateful for insurance, but I can't afford what it won't pay with my cancer diagnosis.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the Guiding Principles, don't pick and choose the ones that work for you that day.

Worked for Food Services of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Food Services of America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Food Services of America CEO Doug Minert . All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Food Services of America employees.