Football Fanatics

Fast Paced / Great People

Current Employee - IT Personnel in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - IT Personnel in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Football Fanatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company has so much potential and opportunity. The compensation is good and I work with some of the most talented people. The org is fairly flat so opportunity to be noticed by management is good. The projects are challenging and very interesting.

Cons

SOME of Management seems to be on the old fashioned "Good ol' Boy' network so it depends on what team you are on if the employee's experience is good or not-so-good.
    Lot's of work with unreasonable deadlines.

1.Be transparent and trust your employees wont sell the company secrets. 2. Try getting estimates from the employees assigned to projects instead of swags from Project Managers for more realistic timelines. If you work people too hard for too long, the pay doesn't matter.

Don't Trust A Word They Say

Former Employee - Computer Programmer/.NET Developer in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Computer Programmer/.NET Developer in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Football Fanatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work was interesting at times.

Cons

Compensation, bonus, vacation, and benefits policies were some of the worst I've ever had in the IT industry. Employees were expected to be on-call for every single holiday. It wasn't uncommon to have to be up at 4 or 5am for a release, and when it failed, come into the office for a full day of work. Management lied to me on numerous occasions about pay raises, titles, bonuses, and money in general.

Axe the entire IT management team and start from scratch. They are corrupt liars that know less about managing IT then I do - and I don't know very much. Get IT and the business on the same page. Stop doing monolithic 6 week releases.

Horrible place to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Football Fanatics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The teamwork of employees on the SAME level as you (they get the shaft with you for the most part).

Cons

Supervisors, inconsistent policies, bad pay, working their employees to the bone, have to work holidays, big corporate mindset and the average employee is just another number to them.

Give your employees holidays off, pay better so people can survive with a job there, you need to really screen your supervisors and "team leads" as they do not have leadership qualities. The worst experience was working with a male supervisor that was childish and would make fun of temporary employees the whole time. He expected everyone to work hard while he laughed across the whole office. The sad part is that upper management let this person be a supervisor for I do not know how many years. Most people worked hard except for him - it was a free ride for him. Now that I got the major part out of the way, this company lied to us about not going anywhere as they will maintain a presence in Chicago in the future. A few months later they closed the office. Tell your employees the truth and do not lie to their faces. Further, the project management at this place is non-existent. Processes do not run smoothly and they take on something before finishing the first thing. If you really like working for Walmart type places that will work you through the holidays, then apply here. It was never even busy on a holiday, so why have people working? Absolutely unnecessary! Also, why do you use a productivity scoring sheet that does not even account for time away from the desk for you two ten minute breaks? This company is all around crooks. "Put the customer first in everything we do." Yeah, right! AHAHAHAHA! You put the customer's wallet first in everything you do. When you go through the internal processes, you know right away that they do not care about the customer. The only reason that they are still around is because they cornered the online sports apparel market. If there was a halfway decent competitor, they would be done!

Success comes from Industry, Not necessarily from Companies Success

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Football Fanatics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has a great open door policy and less bureaucratic than a traditional company. Interesting industry and opportunities. Company is

Cons

Communication is not clear between departments and a lot of two steps forward 1 step back. Day to day work involves quick fixing problems vs. long term solutions. Compensation is on the lower side. Those who make monumental mistakes are not held accountable.

Hold individuals accountable. Truly structure traditional "ladders" for individuals so that there are less surprises. Challenge business decisions against the mission and don't be tempted by a project if it doesn't fall within the scope of the mission of the company.

The jury is still out....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Football Fanatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fanatics is a good place to work on a day to day basis and one will encounter the normal call center type of atmosphere in the various customer service departments.

Cons

The excessive amount of bureaucracy that exists at Fanatics hurts this business as much as the lack of anyone taking a leadership role in actually fixing anything.

Compensation and benefits are weak compared to the industry on the basic level while Management and IT do much better.

1. Dismiss the temporary hiring services used on a seasonal basis. Create your own HR Dept

2. Expand and enrich the educational processes for new employees to at least a month of on the job training. Use veteran employees to teach new ones real skills in business and life.

Better than most jobs

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Football Fanatics as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Laid back, Casual dress, open door policy , great management, friendly co-workers

Cons

pay rate for both "temp" and perm employees , constant changes that limit ability to work and keep busy, appreciation, and the ability to grow within the company , micro management.

Seems like we are losing the values we were taught in training. "To consider the customer first in everything we do." Instead we are now basing on performance, call time , quality and attendance- which is focusing more so on the employees and not the customer. Also believe any " temps" that are kept passed their original contracted time should automatically be considered for perm. instead of wondering if their job is on the line or not. Not a good feeling to walk into work knowing you have put forth the effort that is expected out of us , and it goes unnoticed. As far as management - all the team leads are amazing, have personality and are always there for you, and willing to talk. The rest of the company is awsome for the most part . Just needs to go back to the way it was, seems like the customers were more happy with their service . Although it is nice to see a company grow rapidly, it would be better if the company was more prepared for the growth. All in all. They are a pretty nice company to work for, or else I would have never came back when Randstad called me to come back .

Get it together fanatics

Former Employee - Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Football Fanatics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Customer service employees were great to work with

Cons

Management, communication, and lack of consistency. Supervisors are not professional. Company changes rules all the time. No appreciation for employees. Company is ran very poorly.

I am a former employee of the Fanatics based in Northbrook IL. Let me start off by saying that the management in the Northbrook office needs to be a little more professional. At this office you could find a supervisor that is rude and uses language that is offensive and has no people skills, a supervisor that laughs obnoxiously but expects everyone else to be quite, a supervisor that acts too young for their age, and a quitter supervisor that was not as bad as the other three. There is also favoritism at this office.

If I Knew Then What I Know Now...

Current Employee - Information Technology in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Football Fanatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You will work with people who are talented, dedicated and mature. The sports apparel business is great! There aren't many other Pros.

Cons

Perhaps the most poorly led company I have ever encountered. Senior leadership is childish and manages by whim. The recent merger(s) have broken every single process in the business. Instead of re-designing the business processes, leadership acknowledges there are problems and then blame employees. Honestly, you wouldn't believe the leadership style.

Develop a strategy and stick to it. Use that strategy to establish a set of priorities and then stick to those.

Run away.

I have been working at Football Fanatics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's really hard to get fired.

Cons

Everything else. Do not pay fairly, expect you to work weird hours that can be midnight, 4am, weekends, no clear path to advancement.

Pay people fairly or expect them to leave.

Was part of the merger and things were never the same.

I worked at Football Fanatics

Pros

Wear sports apparel and the people in the Chicago office were great to work with. Talking and dealing with sports.

Cons

Poorly run, no communication, no training and no chance of advancing. Company could be great but needs new leadership. Instead of improving systems or procedures, they just apply band aids or hire more CSR's.

Listen to your employees on the front line and treat then better! Improve technology and systems. You had great employees in Chicago but you chased them all away!