Force10

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014
2.7

Michael S. Dell

Enjoyed the overall work and work culture but the work process on day to day basis is very hindering

I worked at Force10 full-time

Pros

Active development center where products are designed and developed end to end
    Technical learning obtained is good as the company tries to incorporate some latest technologies into the product

Cons

The day to day work process and flow is very hindering. The internal tool used for bug tracking is very bad
    Sometimes the work done for maintenance phase of the product is very boring as the quality control of the products before Dell took over was very bad (previously Force10 networks)

Keep giving the chennai center challenging projects which involve product design developemt testing and deployment

Director of marketing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Force10 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. The product management team, other marketing people, sales teams and R&D people were all good people. I enjoyed working there.

Cons

The company's strategic direction was unclear.

Not a place to stay for long

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Force10 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on different platforms/technologies
    Knowledgeable people around

Cons

Resource allocation, planning and execution of projects need to be improved
    Most managers have been here for ages and hence have the same mentality when it comes to planning & execution.
    No recognition of good performance apart from a few emails

Better recognition of good performance
    Change approach to design, planning & execution

Very disappointed - no motivation to work harder and unethical practices are rampant

I have been working at Force10

Pros

- Opportunity to learn about networking if you have the desire
    - Can learn off the few good engineer left before they leave
    - Good places to eat nearby
    - Other than the above there honestly isn't much good left to say about this company.

Cons

- This place has been going down the hill rapidly probably due to the lack of "real" management.
    - The Engineering department is better than some of the others as they seem to be a bit more respected but unfortunately are overworked. Although I have to say there are some engineers and groups that I know of that I'm not very clear on what their responsibilities are and to me seem to be just living off the work of others. Some management is good and some are bad - depends where you land. Hard to find good new hires.
    - The sales team brings in the money so the sales engineers also are somewhat respected. Management in this group seems to be better than some of the other areas.
    - Stay away from the support organization. There are only a few good people left and I suspect they will be leaving soon. Management is totally incompetent. Recent new hires are a joke and seem to be under-qualified due to the fact of management trying to fill positions to keep their own jobs.

I would ask Dell to replace all of the management (from managers on up) at Force10 unless they want the company to keep going down the toilet like it was prior to the acquisition. Realize management at Force10 seems to be only interested in protecting themselves - not the company.

Learn quick and get out

I worked at Force10

Pros

Interesting technology. Smary people. Good compensation.

Cons

Senior management had difficulty pulling things together due to merger. Obsessive cost cutting in unnecessary areas resulting in tail-spin effect. Engineering management discorganized and lacks sense of responsibilities. Exhuberant amounts of BS among employees. If you are into BS then this place is for you.

Engineering needs to get organized.

Some brilliant engineers and good place to learn but bloated and incompetent management

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Force10

Pros

Force10 is a good place to learn; there are some really smart engineers here and you can learn a lot if you make the effort; it is a good resume builder for sure. Further, you have access to a lot of cutting edge equipment that allows you to learn new technology. Also, the pay is pretty decent and competitive. The company is located in the heart of Silicon Valley right by other networking giants like Cisco and Brocade. Another positive is that the company just got bought by Dell so there hopefully will be a lot more investment towards the technical functions and a cut in the bloated management.

Cons

BLOATED MANAGEMENT is the worst. There are way too many people in upper management. Nepotism seems to be very high where it seems like friends bring other friends into high management positions when it is clearly obvious they are not qualified and don't do anything on a day-to-day basis. If you ask someone what they do at the company and they say "strategy" - that means they do nothing! All of these people are riding on the backs of a few smart engineers who are doing all the work!

There are a few brilliant engineers within engineering/development/support that are literally holding the entire company up. My guess is these engineers are just here to learn and will move on to better things eventually in which case Force10 will really be in trouble. Some advice for Dell is to take control - get rid of bloated management immediately - especially the management who have no technical knowledge; they are just a waste. I know of one director in one of the technical departments that doesn't even know what a router is. Wow!!!!! is all I can say! How would you feel if you were a super smart engineer and had to report to this guy who is probably making twice your salary and doesn't even know what a router is?

This advice goes out to Dell - please get rid of the bloated management. Also, if you do not have any technical knowledge of networking and the products, you should not be in management in any of the technical departments; there is nothing more frustrating then having to report to a clueless so-called strategist!

Not fit for long term employment

I worked at Force10

Pros

I was in the architecture team which potentially provided flexibility and a chance at doing interesting problem solving jobs if the relationship could continue longer. I liked my immediate manager.

Cons

I often didn't get to work directly under my official manager but rather had to collaborate with other teams which groups whose conduct were sometimes questionable.
    The company kept promising to go public for years and offered low salaries with big stock option packages. Turns out they didn't have much hopes to begin with. The company went down and its hopes of a decent IPO were crashed shortly after I left.

Asic projects are very costly, especially for a small company. Stick to off the shelf chips and FPGAs.

Good for Software people

Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Force10

Pros

They are building a technology wise advanced routers/switches and you will get exposed to the latest trends.

Cons

Their H/W department is not doing good.

Keep up the good work in software.

good company to gain networking knowhow.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Force10

Pros

it has the best technically sound people working for them.

Cons

its not doing much to retain the technically sound workforce.

communicate more often. engineers hardly know what the management is doing.

Steer clear of IT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Petaluma, CA

I worked at Force10

Pros

The people you work with on a day to day basis are genuine and highly skilled.

Cons

The Senior leadership of Information Technology is always thinking the staff is lying about issues and openly accuses them of lying. Management doesn't trust their staff, IT management doesn't understand key information technologies. IT doesn't partner with other groups of the company on a person to person basis.

Find someone who can be a partner and trust their employees to do a good job, as well as implement team building strategies. Find someone that doesn't pit employees against each other or openly insult employees.