Force10

Force10 President and CEO Henry Wasik

Henry Wasik

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Director of marketing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Force10 full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with. The product management team, other marketing people, sales teams and R&D people were all good people. I enjoyed working there.

ConsThe company's strategic direction was unclear.

Not a place to stay for long

I have been working at Force10 full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to work on different platforms/technologies
Knowledgeable people around

ConsResource allocation, planning and execution of projects need to be improved
Most managers have been here for ages and hence have the same mentality when it comes to planning & execution.
No recognition of good performance apart from a few emails

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter recognition of good performance
Change approach to design, planning & execution

Very disappointed - no motivation to work harder and unethical practices are rampant

I have been working at Force10

Pros- Opportunity to learn about networking if you have the desire
- Can learn off the few good engineer left before they leave
- Good places to eat nearby
- Other than the above there honestly isn't much good left to say about this company.

Cons- This place has been going down the hill rapidly probably due to the lack of "real" management.
- The Engineering department is better than some of the others as they seem to be a bit more respected but unfortunately are overworked. Although I have to say there are some engineers and groups that I know of that I'm not very clear on what their responsibilities are and to me seem to be just living off the work of others. Some management is good and some are bad - depends where you land. Hard to find good new hires.
- The sales team brings in the money so the sales engineers also are somewhat respected. Management in this group seems to be better than some of the other areas.
- Stay away from the support organization. There are only a few good people left and I suspect they will be leaving soon. Management is totally incompetent. Recent new hires are a joke and seem to be under-qualified due to the fact of management trying to fill positions to keep their own jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would ask Dell to replace all of the management (from managers on up) at Force10 unless they want the company to keep going down the toilet like it was prior to the acquisition. Realize management at Force10 seems to be only interested in protecting themselves - not the company.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learn quick and get out

Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Force10

ProsInteresting technology. Smary people. Good compensation.

ConsSenior management had difficulty pulling things together due to merger. Obsessive cost cutting in unnecessary areas resulting in tail-spin effect. Engineering management discorganized and lacks sense of responsibilities. Exhuberant amounts of BS among employees. If you are into BS then this place is for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineering needs to get organized.

Some brilliant engineers and good place to learn but bloated and incompetent management

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Force10

ProsForce10 is a good place to learn; there are some really smart engineers here and you can learn a lot if you make the effort; it is a good resume builder for sure. Further, you have access to a lot of cutting edge equipment that allows you to learn new technology. Also, the pay is pretty decent and competitive. The company is located in the heart of Silicon Valley right by other networking giants like Cisco and Brocade. Another positive is that the company just got bought by Dell so there hopefully will be a lot more investment towards the technical functions and a cut in the bloated management.

ConsBLOATED MANAGEMENT is the worst. There are way too many people in upper management. Nepotism seems to be very high where it seems like friends bring other friends into high management positions when it is clearly obvious they are not qualified and don't do anything on a day-to-day basis. If you ask someone what they do at the company and they say "strategy" - that means they do nothing! All of these people are riding on the backs of a few smart engineers who are doing all the work!

There are a few brilliant engineers within engineering/development/support that are literally holding the entire company up. My guess is these engineers are just here to learn and will move on to better things eventually in which case Force10 will really be in trouble. Some advice for Dell is to take control - get rid of bloated management immediately - especially the management who have no technical knowledge; they are just a waste. I know of one director in one of the technical departments that doesn't even know what a router is. Wow!!!!! is all I can say! How would you feel if you were a super smart engineer and had to report to this guy who is probably making twice your salary and doesn't even know what a router is?

Advice to Senior ManagementThis advice goes out to Dell - please get rid of the bloated management. Also, if you do not have any technical knowledge of networking and the products, you should not be in management in any of the technical departments; there is nothing more frustrating then having to report to a clueless so-called strategist!

Not fit for long term employment

Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Force10

ProsI was in the architecture team which potentially provided flexibility and a chance at doing interesting problem solving jobs if the relationship could continue longer. I liked my immediate manager.

ConsI often didn't get to work directly under my official manager but rather had to collaborate with other teams which groups whose conduct were sometimes questionable.
The company kept promising to go public for years and offered low salaries with big stock option packages. Turns out they didn't have much hopes to begin with. The company went down and its hopes of a decent IPO were crashed shortly after I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsic projects are very costly, especially for a small company. Stick to off the shelf chips and FPGAs.

Good for Software people

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Force10

ProsThey are building a technology wise advanced routers/switches and you will get exposed to the latest trends.

ConsTheir H/W department is not doing good.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in software.

good company to gain networking knowhow.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Force10

Prosit has the best technically sound people working for them.

Consits not doing much to retain the technically sound workforce.

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more often. engineers hardly know what the management is doing.

A company in transition

Data Analyst, Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Force10

ProsCutting edge technologies, smaller company environment, dedicated IT staff, great direct supervisor, salary at least average, good products versus competition overall.

ConsNew upper management not certain of direction, has laid off key engineering talant, re-structuiring has left gaps in product engineering staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to core technology developement, communicatte more fully with staff, be open to the detailed advise of the middle management who have covered this ground before.

Good company to start but beware of challenges ahead!!

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Force10

ProsGood friendly relaxed environment and high tech product with very high knowledgeable workforce. If their product is mastered then other companies product can be mastered very quickly. The company is in growing phase with both ethernet and carrier access backhaul in it's portfolio giving it an ability to compete technically with market leaders cisco and alcatel. Force10 has a good market cap for 10 gigabit ethernet and it's loyal customers like google would help them to continue build on the market share. The benefits offered in this company is top class and so is the pay.The work life balance is very good and employers get quick promotions.

ConsGo to market first as private company's moto kills the support of existing technologies and sustain the ready product line. Lack of personal and career growth in terms of knowledge expansion. The companies financial difficulties in the current economy wouldn't help them sustain in future and their is very high competition in 10 gigabit ethernet sector from juniper, cisco and brocade. Some of top level management have migrated to brocade and juniper which leaves the IP in jeopardy of not being plagiarize. Management committed some blunders early in development phase and have failed to correct them which would be detrimental in future years for success of their next generation product.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on better marketing and innovation in sales techniques.

Worked for Force10? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Force10 reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Force10 CEO Henry Wasik. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Force10 employees.