Ford Audio-Video Systems

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.8

Claire Ford

Ford AV isn't for everyone... but a great place to work if you're a fit

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Financially one of most stable and profitable companies in the industry. #7 in terms of total revenue of all US AV integration firms in 2014 (via Commercial Integrator Magazine). Privately-owned, so no outside shareholders to answer to. Customer-focused and engineering-based. When job-related mistakes are made, and as long as the customer allows us to, we always seek to resolve them to customer's satisfaction even if it affects profitability of the job. Conservative corporate culture that values relationships with customers and loyal employees. Opportunities for advancement if you prove yourself and stand out.

Vacation system has just been updated to a PTO system, with hours worked = hours PTO accrued for all employees. Rewards for tenure and successful work with company, including job profit sharing, "units of participation" (similar to employee stock-ownership with some differences), 401k matching, fair compensation per the market, good insurance and benefits options. New local offices in Dallas and Denver in past year with very nice upgrades.

If you can work in a more conservative, "old school" type of culture, the benefits of providing amazing and innovative AVL systems to our customers, having the industry leverage that we do with manufacturers and suppliers, and the stability of a profitable and growing company far outweigh the cons. The corporate culture is also changing and updating from being as 'old school' as it once was - perhaps slowly, but the ship is definitely turning.

Cons

Ford AV has experienced tremendous growth in the past 3 years, which can be both good and bad. Good in terms of increased opportunity, customer relationships, and more job openings, but also means that hiring needs to keep pace with growth, which admittedly has been a struggle. Not just hiring 'warm bodies' but qualified people - getting the right people in the right seats on the bus. Some of 'revolving door' in some positions recently has been people not being good fit to Ford AV, either in terms of corporate culture (the way we do things) or performing well in the role they were hired to do.

Ford AV isn't for everyone. We aren't Pixar, Google, Apple, or Amazon. There isn't a lot of investment in 'fluff' (in senior management's opinion) that some other companies may provide that doesn't directly contribute to the bottom line and/or points of connection with our customers. We do have an 'outdated' computer and CRM system. However, once you learn it (which does take a while), it works very well and there are investments all the time that make it and our overall network better. Yes, we're 'old school' in that there is a form for everything, and yes it can be a pain to do all that paperwork that some companies don't require. But again, it's a proven system that keeps a paper trail for everything and keeps the company profitable and accountable within itself. With that said, there are improvements all the time and many forms are become 'paperless' for online/network submittal and approval.

One area I would like to see change soon is our digital marketing strategy. Our website needs help, and our social media strategy is next to non-existent. If most customers, especially younger ones, are 'shopping' and researching online, we can't just rely on SEO, YouTube videos, construction leads, and email blasts to our existing CRM database to reach a 21st Century customer and potential employee base. Word of mouth and personal relationship development of course are always best, but to continue our growth into the future we will definitely need to advance in this area.

Hire more qualified and vetted project managers, project engineers, and lead installers to keep pace with growth. Invest in digital (not necessarily more print-based) marketing. Continue to focus on what will grow our brand, customer-loyalty, and successful jobs for our customers.

family-owned business has its pros and cons

Former Employee - Administrative Support in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Administrative Support in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My experience at the Ford AV corporate office was by and large a good one. I appreciated that I was able to give feedback to my boss and have it reach the president and CEO of the company, and as a result was able to change some inefficient forms and processes during my time with the company. That was satisfying.

My supervisor was really great and was the main reason I was sad to resign when I got another job offer. She really tapped into my skills and tailored the job position to my particular strengths, and allowed me to delegate other, more menial, tasks in my job description to other coworkers. I didn't see a clear path of advancement in my administrative position, but felt like they might just let me keep doing what I was doing with incremental pay and responsibility increases, which wouldn't have been half bad.

The work/life balance in my position was pretty good. They didn't expect us administrative employees to work overtime except for maybe once or twice a year during special events, and once I left work, I didn't have to think about my job until I came back the next morning. Perks of being a non-salaried office worker, I suppose.

My fellow employees were mostly a down-to-earth and decent bunch, although not "my kind" of people (i.e., I wouldn't want to hang out with them at lunch or off the clock.) I felt like I was able to make a difference in the workplace and earned the respect of those I dealt with in the company (engineers, technicians, project managers, and the like) which was enough for me.

Cons

They don't offer much in the way of company culture or perks. They keep the company very lean. Basically, you get free health insurance after 5 years of employment, but that's about it. That's the big perk that any full-timer can achieve, if you stick around long enough. They're somewhat miserly with pay and pay increases--I had been with the company for about 15 months before I received my first official review.

Don't expect fun parties (they are mostly potluck affairs held in the warehouse, not terribly festive) or many bonuses either (office peons, like I was, didn't get any bonuses at all.) And yes, like another reviewer noted, you're expected to help clean bathrooms, dust the cubicles, and sweep the floors and whatnot. I never saw cleaning staff on site, though I know someone must've been doing some general cleaning in that place. For all I know, Mr. and Mrs. Ford scrub toilets after we've all left. I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. Luckily most of the floors are cold & sterile sealed concrete so it's pretty easy to clean up after yourself!

Also, the bad satellite radio stations they piped through the ceiling speakers all day long drove me slightly crazy. It's not a grocery store, you know? But maybe that's just me. Personally, I find that bad pop music is more distracting than anything.

I also yearned for natural light at my desk. The other side of the 2nd floor office had a nice bank of windows but that was so far away. Sometimes I would make up errands just so I could take a stroll around the office and pass by the windows. More than once I emerged from the building at 5pm and was shocked by the weather.

Like I mentioned in my "pros" section, coworkers were generally nice, but also fairly standoffish in sort of a midwestern way. People are cordial, but not terribly friendly. Engineers, sales staff, and HR seemed downright cliquish. I was friendly and often ate in the lunch room where I tried to engage others in conversation, but finally gave up on making any friends at the office.

Good place to get experience

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Irving, TX

I have been working at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunities, overtime, profit sharing, education support

Cons

pay, vacation time, expensive health insurance

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Current Employee - Project Management Support in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Project Management Support in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time

Pros

Growing company that is highly ranked amongst competitors. Nice co-workers who work well together, tons of great personality and character. Very little micromanagement in the corporate setting, but a very large amount in the field. Ford provides an ample amount of support to allow each employee to succeed as much as he/she wants. Training is not included, its mandatory, and safety is a priority. Going to work feels like going home, where your coworkers begin to feel like a family. 5% matching 401k and paid health after 5 years! it is almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

Little opportunities for advancement, both in pay and career paths. High turnover and very picky and outdated procedures make work difficult at times. It is construction, so there is a lot of "hurry up and wait". Annual reviews are not annual, and pay increases don't keep up with inflation.

Implement better incentives (pay and timeoff) would keep employees around longer, and decrease disgruntled employees. Hire more employees, everyone is overworked.

Requires Industry Passion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Ford Audio-Video Systems

Pros

Company culture is very friendly, if conservative. People who work here love music, or video, or shows, or a combination of all three. Lots of musicians, and lots of different personalities, but all of them workers - not people who just have a job, for the most part. Family owned, so bottom line is considered as a part of the long-term goal, not just the next quarter's profit or the next year's profit. Company looks for long-term employment, so if you want someplace to grow and to be committed to, this is a good place to be. If you do not like the industry or the job you do, you will wash out. If you love either or both, you will last a long while - there are lots of people who have been with Ford AV for 10, 20, and even 30 years.

Cons

Reviews are given based on merit, and the review system itself, while a good idea, really needs to be streamlined. Because there is such a diverse group of people working and there are so many different personalities, that can be a bit hard to work with unless you are able/interested/willing to do so. Examples are technical minded engineers and people-oriented sales persons working in the same buildings with professional installation crew and administrative people. If you do not like the industry or the job you do, you will wash out. If you love either or both, you will last a long while - there are lots of people who have been with Ford AV for 10, 20, and even 30 years.

Look at how to streamline the review process, and make sure feedback is clear to those who need to make changes for better effectiveness on the job.

Revolving door

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My tenure there was uneventful. There is no encouragement to think outside the box. There is no room for growth.

Cons

The most unfriendly work environment I have ever been in. The atmosphere is divisive and favoritism is practiced on a regular basis. Micro management is the norm.

There are some very talented and dedicated people working in your company. You should value their talents and trust their abilities more.

Disconnected

Current Employee - Accounting in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Accounting in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company tries to be family-oriented, and to have high standards for itself and its people. On the operations side, this may be true, but in the support side at the corporate level it seems very much less so. Company is well-respected in the industry, and beleives in encouraging growth, if you are the right fit and type for their desires. Company is growing, but could grow more if there were better strategy involved.

Cons

There is a disconnect in teh type of company they state themselve to be and the actions they tend towards that make them a somewhat different company. This is not uncommon in businesses, but there is a lack of foresight or comprehension with regard to looking at the whole of an issue or problem and its sources, as well as the solutions that are possible or not possible. Also, I beleive there may be a substantial difference in pay based in part on gender, not on experience.

Recognize that there are more solutions and more problems being addressed than the sympton you pay attention to. Also, when experiencing growth, prepare for it properly with succession planning and a more well-thought out way of addressing management needs and management overload.

Run the other way - better integrators out there

Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits after 5 years. Good coworkers. Nice owners (if you ever see them). Strong training programs. Good place to advance education and leave.

Cons

Low pay. High expectations. Micromanagement. Poor project execution. No room for advancement. Distrustful management. Odd per diem policy. Old computers and weird, inhouse developed software program you work in. Inefficient processes that they refuse to address or improve.

The culture will never change so no need to try to give advice. It's a family owned business.

Six year employee

I have been working at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best reason for working here is stability and profit sharing. I came from a medium size company that went bankrupt. Here, I’m paid every Friday and when jobs close part of the profit is given to the team that worked on the project. That only happens quarterly. Work is hard but we don’t miss deadlines.

Cons

We work for the same customers over and over again. Need to diversify.

Change is too slow. Also, make employees put comments here. Some of the negative reviews made me mad.

Good for getting your feet wet, but don't count on much more.

I worked at Ford Audio-Video Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively easy hire, difficult to lose the job, great place to really work on your skills if you have the motivation. Paid healthcare after 5 years. Raises are few.

Cons

Terrible attention to employee wellness/ happiness, team building, etc. The environment is not inviting, very corporate, engineers are not encouraged to think outside the box. No effort is given to promoting growth with the times, training sessions are once a year in OKC, that seem pretty useless and only encourage the frustration.

Do some research on new innovative ways of promoting a better working environment. Come up with better benefits and perks, more vacation.

Ford Audio-Video Systems Photos