Ford Foundation

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Darren Walker

Experience depends on your team, direct environments and leadership

Grants Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits, great mission, smart people, friendly environment, good location, parking, dining room

Consno room for advancement, elitist rules, little value placed on staff development

Advice to Senior Managementneed more genuine honest managers who can grown staff

A Terrific Opportunity to Learn About the World

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people around you every day are all there to help benefit mankind in some way, shape or form. Employees are very friendly and are eager to help you learn.

ConsThe work load could have been more encompassing. There were not a lot of opportunities for challenges, but the work amount was fair to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the mission of the organization, continue to integrate employees cross-functionally and make them aware of the terrific achievements occurring each day.

Great place to start

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou can meet people who do really great work, depending on what area you work in. The large cafeteria serves hot lunch daily, and you can get a great cup of coffee if you just need to take a break. Organization now hosts many events that are open to employees.

ConsEmployees tend to be pigeon-holed in positions. If you start off in one area, it's almost impossible to move to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the people who work with you and around you. There are individuals left over from the old regime who are not sure what their purpose is now within the organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cheating the IRS at The Ford Foundation!

Correspondence Control Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree coffee, subsidized cafeteria, and fancy restaurant to entertain quests. Many opulent benefits, including retirement plans. That is about it, however.

ConsI worked in the Correspondence Control Unit, reading and digesting all incoming mail for three units within the foundation. Using an ACCESS program, a given grant proposal had to be reduced to one line for the opening sentence of a rejection letter sent out by the administrative assistant of the office of the unit's program officer, who probably never reads the proposal. Most funding is done in person through established contacts in the cafeteria and restaurant. The CCU was maintained to keep documentation for the Internal Revenue Service to "prove" that all proposals are considered, which is far from the truth!

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down the Correspondence Control Unit and make administrative assistants in various units read all the proposals themselves. It is their responsibility to summarize for their program officer. Fire program officers that evidently only "network" to give out funding personally to cronies, instead of taking serious care to respond to all unsolicited proposals.

Wonderful experience, excellent company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits package and salary, excellent work life balance

ConsCareer growth opportunity is very low.

Great work environment but no growth

Department Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery good benefits, excellent opportunities for learning about different areas of philanthropy and social change, work with very smart people.

ConsLittle to no mobility, easy to get pigeon-holed in a particular role within the organization, managers and senior staff should be required to partake in leadership training, favoritism is often apparent.

Great people, organization with a lot of integrity, and meaningful work

Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI started my career in development at Ford and found my mentors here. I felt the impact of our programming, I had wonderfully talented grantees in my portfolio, and my colleagues were all incredible intelligent, accomplished and committed to social justice.

I was always learning outside my issue areas, as there were frequent and terrific conferences. Fun parties too.

Also, this is a beautiful building/space to work. Always had architecture students coming in to look around the atrium.

ConsNone really, except that most officers have a capped term of service (so that ideas, grantee portfolios keep evolving). But, that's important for the mission and I respect that.

Good experience

Summer Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRelaxed environment, not too much pressure, nice people

Conscan get a bit boring

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees

Good place to start out a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExperience depends on which department an employee works in. Company has great events for employees, especially during the summer. Overall, I would recommend the experience.

ConsThe company's main goal is for the public good and to assist those in need, but sometimes it seems a little too concerned on its image and being flashy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember the purpose of organization and stick to it. It's sometimes difficult to be heard by upper management, but employees are there to help fulfill Ford's vision.

Lacks internal cohesion and team spirit

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood benefits, reasonable hours, beautiful building.

ConsPresident seems not to trust his staff, micromanaging everyone (Ford has some excellent program officers, but he's not letting them do their jobs). He knows little about the field but hasn't let that stop him. He issues ultimatums that staff must do his bidding, and if they push back they will lose their contracts. It's a tense environment, and it appears that Ubiñas is more interested in showy, visible funding (socialite style) than in the social justice sector that has made Ford a great foundation. Many excellent program officers have been leaving, and it seems like Ubiñas will bring in whoever will do what he tells them-- even though he's a lifelong management consultant with little knowledge about any of Ford's areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't surround yourself with yesmen and yeswomen. Support the program officers you have; trust them instead of imposing your agenda on everyone. Don't destroy Ford's proud social justice legacy because of your own ego.

Worked for Ford Foundation? Contribute to the Community!